How to install a backup starter switch.

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1800
Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

How to install a backup starter switch.

Post by Big Blue UK »

Have you ever pushed the starter in cold weather to hear nothing but a click, and you stand feathering the switch hoping the motor spins. I have, and have read others have, and the fixes such as adding solder to the start switch contacts etc. The last time it happened to me was when I used it once in November when it was quite cold, and that was the last time. I only use Big Blue a few times after November. So I decided to install a secondary or backup starter to see what was what. A nice crisp frosty January morning, I pushed Big Blue out the garage for about 1 hour, pushed the starter and sure enough just a click, pushed the secondary starter button I installed and hey presto. did the same that night with the same outcome.

This is my all weather reliable backup start switch, no spraying or stripping the start switch.

I purchased a stainless steel marine starter button

and wired it in parallel with the handlebar starter switch. Simple 2 wire connection, I fitted the backup starter button to the side of the ignition and speaker cover, ensuring the marine starter body would not contact the ignition body when I replaced the cover.

This is how I wired the marine starter switch. I found the easiest splice locations to be near the ignition relay, and the connector near starter relay A.
as can be seen in the diagram I put together, the marine starter works in exactly the same way as the handlebar starter, on the same wiring, just in a different place.

It does not cut off the headlights as the handlebar start switch does, but it starts the engine when all you get is a click from the handlebar start switch when it is really cold. I disconnected the headlight supply wire from the fuse panel and took it to a switch on a master cylinder switchbank, so I can turn off the headlights if I wish. Comes in handy when I have to have the IGN on, or at Light Parades when I need all the juice I can get during static displays. Especially with a 250W RMS amp running quad Polk speakers and a 8" subwoofer.

I hope this helps anyone who has the same cold weather starter switch problem.

If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.
Fastfreddy
Motorcycle: 2008 gl1800 Honda trike

Re: How to install a backup starter switch.

Post by Fastfreddy »

Really nice back-up switch idea.
Jambriwal
Motorcycle: 2014 gl Valkyrie 1800 c

Post by Jambriwal »

Great post, I may consider doing this because my 2014 gold wing Valkyrie gave me that very problem last year on vacation.
We had stopped for gas and everyone restarted and left , I hit the starter button 10 times and nothing. So i backpedaled the bike up a slight incline to bump start and hit the button twice more and it fired.
Once more on this ride i had to hit the button several times to start. Rest of the season no problems.
Thanks for your post.
Jim
Fastfreddy
Motorcycle: 2008 gl1800 Honda trike

Post by Fastfreddy »

Thanks for posting, really great solution. Saving this one for sure. ;)
Abdpepe
Motorcycle: 2006 1800
Gold Wing

Post by Abdpepe »

Straight forward approach..... but have several additional question.
What gauge wire did you use/recommend?
Does it activate the reverse function as well?
Thank you
Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Post by Big Blue UK »

Abdpepe wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:50 pm Straight forward approach..... but have several additional question.
What gauge wire did you use/recommend?
Does it activate the reverse function as well?
Thank you
Good questions, did not think to add that, perhaps WA can add it to the How to.

I used 1.0mm² 32/0.20 AWG 17. Use thin wall if you want, makes no odds.
The starter works the same as the factory starter, so yes it will operate reverse.

If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.