CSC trike conversion

Technical information and Q&A applicable to all years and models of Goldwings
Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

CSC trike conversion

Post by Big Blue UK »

After 30 years of solo GoldWings I am seriously considering a trike. I have weighed up all my options for a while now, looked at a few 1800's to trike, looked at different manufacturers, looked at three 1500 trikes for sale, etc, etc, etc.

Thing is I have narrowed my options down to.........
I want one GoldWing
I want to keep Big Blue
I want a trike
Is Big blue worth a £15k conversion...YES
So.........

I have decided upon a California sport conversion with all the options apart from secondary fuel tank.

I am looking for opinions of the said conversion through experience, I wish I had paid more attention to the ones I saw at LP's last year :do:, but too late now.
If anyone could help before my decision deadline in a week or so I would appreciate it.

Many thanks

If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.
Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Re: CSC trike conversion

Post by Viking »

Have you looked at Insta Trike conversion kits by Tow Pac? Seems to me that they would fulfill the Trike experience for a lot less money, and your motorcycle is still a motorcycle. Just a suggestion.

http://www.towpacusa.com/

On sale till the end of the month (Jan 2014)
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Post by tfdeputydawg »

themainviking wrote:Have you looked at Insta Trike conversion kits by Tow Pac? Seems to me that they would fulfill the Trike experience for a lot less money, and your motorcycle is still a motorcycle. Just a suggestion.

http://www.towpacusa.com/

On sale till the end of the month (Jan 2014)
You should ride the outriggers! While some do like them, they are a far cry from the smooth ride of the IRS true trike conversions!
redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Post by redial »

Trike selection and extras are like tyres, oil, and batteries - everyone has a favourite, and they have good reasons for their selection. For all these items, I treat them like underpants - if they fit me and are comfortable, then that is the one I will get.

From my investigations of a trike conversion, a CSC conversion would not be at the top. Do your research on forums that discuss the trikes and their plus and minus of their delivery of the product.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.
smilam
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 With a Roadsmith Trike Conversion

Post by smilam »

In the end it is all about what you want and like. I happen to like the Roadsmith but a lot of people like the CSC. For me it made more sense to up grade to a 1800 but you know your bike better than anybody else. If you are still good on mileage and the bike is in good shape you would probably do good to add the kit. You can always go on line and check prices for your year with the kit you are looking at.
I would also recomend checking the Trike Talk forum as they have information and sub forums on all the different kits and motorcycle brands.
Some people have trouble getting use to riding a trike but most get the hang of it after a couple thousand miles if not sooner.
Steve
Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking »

The reason I suggested the Insta Trike kit was price. The OPs original post quoted 15,000 pounds sterling as the cost to convert. That is a scary sum of money to trike a bike, but shipping is probably a fair amount of the cost. The insta trike kit is far less heavy, and one could probably get it without even the wheels, and then pick up wheels and tires locally. As Redial mentioned, trike kits are like underwear. Some fit and some don't. Get the one that fits you. I know a guy who has the Insta Trike and it fits him. He is happy with it, being leg length challenged for a GL1800.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

dadztoy
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 HPNAM9

Post by dadztoy »

I rode an Insta Trike for a number of years before converting to a full CSC trike kit. To be sure, the Instatrike is a compromise, but for the money, it does what it says it does. Now, my CSC Cobra XL trike conversion rides, looks, and handles better than the Insta Trike, but it was nearly 4 times the cost of the InstaTrike as well.

My advice would be, if your a low to moderate distance rider, the Insta Trike may serve you well if your just concerned with stability. If your a serious touring rider, a full trike conversion would probably serve you better. It's a big decision to make I know, lots of $$$ involved!!!

And - - - - - either way you go, you will need a rake kit for the front end unless you have arms like Arnold Schwarzenegger!!! I ended up putting a 4.5 degree rake on my Insta trike because sometimes I still rode it on 2 wheels and it was manageable with the 4.5 degree rake. 6 degree is best if your going full conversion though and makes riding the trike a lot more pleasurable experience.

Good luck with what ever decision you make...

Les
Tennrider84
Motorcycle: 1984 GL 1200I Inerstate

Post by Tennrider84 »

Thank you Tfdeptydawg, I haven't thought about outriggers, but would they hold a 84 1200I up? I have a project bike that I'm trying to get on the road for my wife and I to ride together. I have a Tow-Pac trike kit ,but it's not made for a Goldwing. I've been thinking on how to use it ,if I can.
tbird71
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Standard W/Hondaline Fairing
1989 GL1500 completely bone stock

Post by tbird71 »

You've got that nice blue GL dont waste time with those cheap kits. Money wasted. Get the CSC conversion that you WANT and be happy.
I THOUGHT about goin the 4 wheel trike but in the end I got this nice 09 Venture with an 18,000 Hannigan Kit. Ya get what ya pay for.
And OH...btw you're gettin the build I would personally recommend the spare tank kit. Something you may well regret NOT getting.
Have fun, and Good Luck!
pcojoe
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 CSC Trike

Post by pcojoe »

Just thought I would let you know that I have a friend that is in his 80's and he has the 1500 trike, I think its the older version of the Champion, but not sure.
He rides quite a lot around the area and when he was younger he and his wife rode to Alaska twice. I have a 2008 GL1800 GW triked with a CSC kit. I, like
my friend love it and I do not think you will be disappointed in having your bike triked with newest CSC trike kit for your GL 1500.

Good Luck and enjoy riding for another 30 years,
Semper Fi,
Joe W.
tbird71
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Standard W/Hondaline Fairing
1989 GL1500 completely bone stock

Post by tbird71 »

I would second Joes post. There is no way you can go wrong with a CSC kit.
f27897
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 Motor Trike

Post by f27897 »

Hello,
I have a ‘10 GW with a ‘14 Motor Trike conversion if the road is smooth I enjoy the ride and the look of the trike the trunk is lacking in capacity, if the road is rough or uneven then it bottoms out on a more than regular basis. If I were to buy again my choice would definitely be a CSC conversion.
I think you will enjoy having a trike, definitely have your forks raked it makes a huge difference.
Davey
pwhite42
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 audio CSC trike

Post by pwhite42 »

I have a CSC trike. I have dealt directly with them, they are good people. Last year I had the aux tank added. I wish it had been done when the first owner had it converted. I'm happy with that upgrade.
W0OZ
Motorcycle: 2008 Honda Gold Wing Tryked by CSC
2018 Harley Tri-Glide.

Post by W0OZ »

I bought a 2008 Gold Wing in 2009, put 3,500 miles on it and took it to CSC factory for the trike kit. I’ve never regretted it, the ride is great, mine is also raked in the front and it’s a must have. It’s extremely hard to turn without the rake. I also had all available extras installed at the factory, minus the fuel tank. I figured that I would want off of it every two hours or so, and it will still run around 200 miles even pulling the trailer. I’ve never had any serious issues with the bike or the trike kit. I absolutely love it. My only advice is think hard about what options you want, have them installed at the same time as the trike kit, and go for it.
jerryd15
Motorcycle: 2005 GL 1800

Post by jerryd15 »

I triked mine early this year. I went Roadsmith. I like VW parts that are easier to get. Pricey but I am still riding at 80.