Sharing ABS repair

Technical information and Q&A applicable to all years and models of Goldwings
JohnUSA
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing TriKing Trike

Sharing ABS repair

Post by JohnUSA »

ABS repairs-small can of black ABS glue from plumbing aisle, along with a piece of ABS if you don't have any. As you go along and make repairs, the ABS in the can will get thicker and thicker. You can buy a new can, and pour a little in the old can to "refresh" it, and get it to the working consistency you want. MEK works also, if you have some. I chose not to buy a can of MEK. It's nasty stuff.

I like it a bit thicker, not quite toothpaste consistency. The working time is very short, but it is good to build up small layers, or use to hold a smaller piece in place.

Here is one (of many) recent repairs. Technique keeps getting refined after each attempt. I also have some spare factory ABS to scavenge from, which is handy.

Broken grommet hole-who wants to buy a new one panel? Too expensive.

I have several pieces of ABS to scavenge from, and found a piece with a hole that was pretty close:

A little filing, rasp and dremel got it close for dry fit. It doesn't need to be exact, because thicker ABS glue will fill the gap.

Pretty close to being finished. With thicker consistency ABS glue, it holds it nicely in place while it cures. I put a small gusset on the end to help reinforce, but forgot to take pic:

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Re: Sharing ABS repair

Post by Wilcoy02 »

Put some acetone in the mix to make it more slurry.

Corkster52
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Post by Corkster52 »

Working with ABS glue and sheets can be interesting, rewarding and, at times, frustrating. In another post, I discussed there being bubbles in my finished product and still working on resolving it.

Corkster52
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Post by Corkster52 »

Corkster52 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:01 am
there being bubbles in my finished product and still working on resolving it.
Once it hit me that I was spending way too much time on getting (and keeping) the ABS component that I was trying to fix warm in the garage and removed it to finish in the basement, the bubbles were considerably less. ;)