Smells Like Burning Leaves

Technical information and Q&A applicable to all years and models of Goldwings
Northwings
Motorcycle: 2005 GL 1800 30th Anniversary / Hannigan Trike

Smells Like Burning Leaves

Post by Northwings »

I am partly disabled by a stroke, so I don’t usually ride my GL 1800 trike very hard. You’ll see you in a moment why this is important.

In mid September my wife and I went for a short ride and each time we stopped observed a funny smell, not sure if it was electrical or brake/clutch. At first we thought it might be a trash fire nearby, but we smelled it at every place we stopped for a ride of over an hour with about five stops. I went over the bike and found nothing rubbing, no brakes heated up, and no extra heat around the tail light assembly which I had just removed to replace a bulb. All the lights worked normally. The rr brake disc was not hot and the clutch seemed to be working normally. The smell seemed to be coming from the rr fender. So far the bike hasn’t caught fire.

Yesterday we moved the bike out of the barn so we could get at our granddaughter’s bicycle. I noticed what looked like burned acorns on the floor, but didn’t give much thought.

Today we went for a short ride. The smell was worse than ever and the exhaust sound rough, as friends had noticed over the last couple months. I thought of the acorns and realized the smell is just like burned leaves and acorns are made of the same stuff! I pulled off the road, climbed off and with the bike in neutral revved the engine to just below red line and held it a few seconds. About a dozen small, burned acorns shot out of the tailpipes like a double-barrel shotgun!

The rest of the ride I used as much rpm as I could to clear any remaining acorns, not easy with a vehicle that can do 65mph in second gear. The bike seems smoother, quieter and more powerful, but could it be my imagination? There is less of a smell now, but it is still there. Should I wait patiently for any remaining acorns to burn out or is there some mechanical or chemical way to clean them out? I really don’t want to replace the $pipes$.

For those who live in chipmunk/ squirrel infested areas with oak trees , how can I keep the critters from storing acorns every time the engine cools off? Grates or screens over the tailpipes? Removable metal caps? Ideas, please. Don’t say park the bike where the varmints can’t get near it because there ain’t no such place!

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Re: Smells Like Burning Leaves

Post by Viking »

You could just push a rag into the tailpipes for a temporary measure till the critters realize they cannot store their winter food there. Then develop a more permanent solution. Screens would do the trick but not be too attractive.

If you stuff rags in there, don't forget to remove them if going for a ride. :lol:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

Could put some mothballs in there, might keep the critters out. But if you forget them you'd smell really good going down the road until they evaporated... :lol:
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Viking wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:46 pm
You could just push a rag into the tailpipes for a temporary measure till the critters realize they cannot store their winter food there. Then develop a more permanent solution. Screens would do the trick but not be too attractive.

If you stuff rags in there, don't forget to remove them if going for a ride. :lol:
Or just don't push them in too tightly, they will get ejected when you start it up! :)

newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Post by newday777 »

Push steel wool in the mufflers after you pull the mufflers off and make sure all the acorns are out of the mufflers and headers(run the motor w/o the mufflers and Crank It Up! to be sure nothing in the headers.