'75 GL1000
'76 GL1000
77' GL1000
90' KDX 200
03' FSC600 SilverWing (Wife's bike)
and more

Re: Toilet bowl cleaner.

Post by wingingit2 »

MalcolmS wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:43 am Just be careful of hydrochloric (muriatic) acid. It has chloride ion in it that causes flash rusting. The best acid to use is phosphoric acid as this not only removes the rust but passivates the steel reducing the tendency to flash rust. It also phosphatises the steel which provides a “key” for paint (or tank coating resin) to stick to. Phosphoric acid is available in rust remover formulas, some toilet bowl cleaners, Coke and Pepsi. (Coke used to and may still be the biggest civilian user of phosphoric acid). Phos acid is much safer than and does not fume like hydrochloric acid. (I’m a long time formulation chemist!)
And how do you dispose of it? My garbage dump has stopped taking most hazardous materials.

Lady Luck Prefers the Prepared
thboyd29
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A (which I bought new)
2001 GL1800A (ditto, but which I traded for...)
2019 GL1800 Tour (Stick shift version)

Post by thboyd29 »

wingingit2 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:49 pm And how do you dispose of it? My garbage dump has stopped taking most hazardous materials.
My jug of Milkstone Remover (about 65% phosphoric acid) has no disposal instructions. At all. However, it's usage instructions (for cleaning milking machines and tanks that hold milk) specify dilution of one ounce per either 2 or 6 gallons of water, depending on the application, then rinsing thoroughly. Nothing said about capturing the used cleaning solution, so if no capture method was used, the used solution would either run out onto the ground or into a drain. Based on this, I'd think you'd probably be safe to dilute it (at least 1 oz to 6 gal water), then pour the diluted mix down the drain, followed by a water stream to flush any remaining acid out of the pipes. Having said that, the MSDS that I've seen so far seem to be light on specifics other than "follow local codes". Although, I did see *one* that cautioned against letting it run into a sewer system, but that may reflect undiluted (75-85%) acid, and the used Milkstone remover would be diluted *way* down from that. You pays yer money, you takes yer chances...
I like pie.
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

With most any acid, the typical disposal is to first neutralize it with an alkaline like baking soda, then it is safe to dispose.
LittleGoldy
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I, 1982 GL1100 Aspencade (parts bike, ugh got shafted on ebay, BUT it is being resurrected as a naked and it RUNS ......woot. 7/31/2021 Keep y'all updated with photos soon, not that anyone cares :D) 1981 CB750C, 1981 GL1100 Interstate (Project)1983 XJ750 Seca Sold, 2003 Kawasaki ZX1R Sold, 1980 GS750E Sold, 1973 Kawasaki H1 Triple 500 (first bike ever) Sold

Post by LittleGoldy »

All great info. Dang I like the milkstone magic. Just bought some and overnight soaking in a rusty tank... first thing in the morning drain and flush..........and I expect fabulous results. Ol CB750 Gas tank cleaner......
You can do anything, but not everything.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. :ugeek:
call-abe
Motorcycle: 1990 Aspencade

Post by call-abe »

A trick I heard from a motorcycle restorer that does NOT involve any chemicals and surely does the trick that I thought was ingenious is using BBs (you know...those little round balls BB guns use as ammo) to clean the insides of a rusted gas tank!

Here's the steps...

1) Plug the filler as well as the gas exit locations of the removed gas tank in question...but not before you add perhaps 3-4 containers of BBs into the tank (not certain of the quantity - but more is better - but this should be sufficient).

2) Wrap the entire gas tank in materials which will fully protect the tank from dents and scratches (maybe a combination of bubble wrap and then a couple of blankets that you then duct tape around the tank).

3) Place the wrapped tank into your clothes dryer! (I told you this was ingenious) and then put on tumble (without any heat). Let tumble. [Note: He didn't mention for how long of time...but I'd have to say more doesn't hurt anything...so perhaps do for an hour at first. Then stop, unwrap, and inspect the progress and judge from there the proper time].

4) Remove from the dryer, unwrap, and finally shake out all of the BBs from within the tank.

The above process uses the little BBs to essentially, "sandblast" the interior of the tank with little time/attention involved by the operator...and does so without any caustic chemicals! All the rust flakes will be removed...and then you just need to seal the tank like other methods to have a clean/bright gas tank once more! ;)
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

call-abe wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:12 am A trick I heard from a motorcycle restorer that does NOT involve any chemicals and surely does the trick that I thought was ingenious is using BBs (you know...those little round balls BB guns use as ammo) to clean the insides of a rusted gas tank!

Here's the steps...

1) Plug the filler as well as the gas exit locations of the removed gas tank in question...but not before you add perhaps 3-4 containers of BBs into the tank (not certain of the quantity - but more is better - but this should be sufficient).

2) Wrap the entire gas tank in materials which will fully protect the tank from dents and scratches (maybe a combination of bubble wrap and then a couple of blankets that you then duct tape around the tank).

3) Place the wrapped tank into your clothes dryer! (I told you this was ingenious) and then put on tumble (without any heat). Let tumble. [Note: He didn't mention for how long of time...but I'd have to say more doesn't hurt anything...so perhaps do for an hour at first. Then stop, unwrap, and inspect the progress and judge from there the proper time].

4) Remove from the dryer, unwrap, and finally shake out all of the BBs from within the tank.

The above process uses the little BBs to essentially, "sandblast" the interior of the tank with little time/attention involved by the operator...and does so without any caustic chemicals! All the rust flakes will be removed...and then you just need to seal the tank like other methods to have a clean/bright gas tank once more! ;)
This is a great idea! But the first step you need to add before those four steps is:

1) Make sure your wife is out of the house and won't be returning for several hours

:lol: :lol:
LAB3
Motorcycle: Naked 1983 GL1100I project bike, now semi-dressed

Post by LAB3 »

Gotta admit, that IS a great idea. Seems to me you could substitute something besides BB's to keep the costs (and waste) down a bit, Pea Gravel comes to mind although the best thing to use is what you already have on hand.
I'm selling good clean fresh hay. If you want some that's already passed through the horse, that comes a little cheaper!
call-abe
Motorcycle: 1990 Aspencade

Post by call-abe »

You'd want something somewhat small...so pea gravel MAY be too big.

I agree that the BBs would then have to be tossed...but they're pretty cheap. And getting your tank derusted is certainly worth it.

Of course, you can later try to sift and clean the rust pieces from the BBs. After all of Biden's ammo and gun grabs, maybe BBs and BB guns will be all we have in the NEXT civil war... :P
Rambozo
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

I've seen a similar technique. With some water and old nuts and bolts for aggregate then bungie or duct tape to a car's wheel while idling on a jack stand.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Rambozo wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:40 pm I've seen a similar technique. With some water and old nuts and bolts for aggregate then bungie or duct tape to a car's wheel while idling on a jack stand.
When I was a kid, I recall seeing an old car set up with one rear wheel jacked up in the air, and the hub replaced with a conical log splitter. Cars are more than just transportation!

Wow, I just did a Google search, and found a video online - apparently car hub wood splitters are a "thing"...

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!
LittleGoldy
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I, 1982 GL1100 Aspencade (parts bike, ugh got shafted on ebay, BUT it is being resurrected as a naked and it RUNS ......woot. 7/31/2021 Keep y'all updated with photos soon, not that anyone cares :D) 1981 CB750C, 1981 GL1100 Interstate (Project)1983 XJ750 Seca Sold, 2003 Kawasaki ZX1R Sold, 1980 GS750E Sold, 1973 Kawasaki H1 Triple 500 (first bike ever) Sold

Post by LittleGoldy »

Ya just gotta love "Hillbilly Engineering". And it works GREAT............

The issue I have with using BB's is the neck of my tank does not even allow liquid to be drained 100% and the "tank" does not have a Fuel Level thingy to be able to remove on the bottom to open it up better. So, in my case I chose to use the Soda Ash Electrolysis methodology. No Acid just a battery charger (or any 12 VDC source would do) with an electrode in the tank mixing Soda Ash with Distilled Water then filling the tank with the mixture. (Yes, the electrode must be prevented from touching the metal tank). After 12 hours, flushed and repeated. The rust is catalyzed into a black oxide looking substance. Forgot the name of it, but then sealed it with Redkote. I did buy the POR15 kit but decided to not use the acid based product.

It is currently installed on a CB750C and I am monitoring the condition of the Redkote for any problems thru a Glass Bowl Filter. Carbs were rebuilt so it is running nicely, awaiting for problems to arise. So Far none. I "WISHED" it had a fuel level indicator, woulda made the process so much easier.
You can do anything, but not everything.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. :ugeek:
Rambozo
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

WingAdmin wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:40 am When I was a kid, I recall seeing an old car set up with one rear wheel jacked up in the air, and the hub replaced with a conical log splitter. Cars are more than just transportation!

Wow, I just did a Google search, and found a video online - apparently car hub wood splitters are a "thing"...
Or even a lathe, if you're crazy enough.

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!