Electrical Help needed!!

Technical information and Q&A applicable to all years and models of Goldwings
stovall
Motorcycle: 1990 Honda Goldwing SE Pearl White

Electrical Help needed!!

Post by stovall »

Hi everyone, I need some electrical help from someone who is much more knowledgeable that I am! I was doing the Auxiliary Input to my GL1500 & my soldering iron tipped over & while trying to catch it I dropped one of the capacitors & can't find it anywhere. The lettering on the capacitor is: 50v 1uf ce85 degrees C. The only one I could find on Amazon is: Radial Electrolytic Capacitor, 1 uF, 50V, 105 C. Is this a suitable substitute? Do I need to change both if it is? I also damaged the board trying to get some of the coating off & will be ordering a pen to re trace where I damaged it, Does anyone have any suggestions what I should buy? Do they make something to clean the varnish or coating off of the board without having to scratch at it? I tried a rubberized abrasive I had for polishing & that is how I damaged the board. This is not going according to plan unfortunately! :D :roll:

Brian Stovall
1990 Gl1500SE
Pendergrass, GA
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Electrical Help needed!!

Post by Rambozo »

Was the lost cap an electrolytic? If so your sub will be fine. Scraping and/or acetone on a Q-tip is the way to remove soldermask. The easiest and most reliable way to fix a broken trace is to use a bodge wire. Most of the trace repair products are finicky and don't always provide a low resistance high current path.
stovall

Post by stovall »

Sorry, I don"\'t know what that is. I have attached a picture of the other one.

Brian Stovall
1990 Gl1500SE
Pendergrass, GA
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Yup, that is an electrolytic. Your substitute will be just fine.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

I agree with Rambozo. The "trace repair" pens are not good for durable, permanent repairs. If a trace on the board is damaged, just expose the ends of the trace, and solder a wire in place to replace the damaged trace.

And as far as the capacitor, the one you mentioned is fine. You want a voltage/temperature rating equal to or greater than the original, and a capacitance rating (the uF) exactly the same.
stovall

Post by stovall »

Thanks guys, I really do appreciate all the advice! I didn't order the trace repair pen, I decided to do as WingAdmin & Rambozo advised & just expose the trace & solder a small wire in it's place. I do need one more bit of advice though...Do I need to protect the said repair by putting some liquid electrical tape on it, & would a clear lacquer based fingernail polish work ?
Brian Stovall
1990 Gl1500SE
Pendergrass, GA
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

stovall wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:48 pm Thanks guys, I really do appreciate all the advice! I didn't order the trace repair pen, I decided to do as WingAdmin & Rambozo advised & just expose the trace & solder a small wire in it's place. I do need one more bit of advice though...Do I need to protect the said repair by putting some liquid electrical tape on it, & would a clear lacquer based fingernail polish work ?
If there's nothing nearby that could touch it and short out, then I wouldn't bother. Otherwise, either of those would likely work fine.
LittleGoldy
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I, 1982 GL1100 Aspencade (parts bike, ugh got shafted on ebay, BUT it is being resurrected as a naked and it RUNS ......woot. 7/31/2021 Keep y'all updated with photos soon, not that anyone cares :D) 1981 CB750C, 1981 GL1100 Interstate (Project)1983 XJ750 Seca Sold, 2003 Kawasaki ZX1R Sold, 1980 GS750E Sold, 1973 Kawasaki H1 Triple 500 (first bike ever) Sold

Post by LittleGoldy »

stovall wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:48 pm Thanks guys, I really do appreciate all the advice! I didn't order the trace repair pen, I decided to do as WingAdmin & Rambozo advised & just expose the trace & solder a small wire in it's place. I do need one more bit of advice though...Do I need to protect the said repair by putting some liquid electrical tape on it, & would a clear lacquer based fingernail polish work ?
While those methods may work, a board sealing compound would be best. Tape will fall off eventually or work loose. Depends on your budget and dependability of repair. Lacquer is flammable until it dries, FYI but may provide the insulating factors you are looking for. Electronic sub-assemblies are a specialized and can be found in sealed forms as well. You want insulating to protect the bad trace of course. Home Depot ( and others ) sell a rubberized liquid tape that may be just what you need. Check it out.

Capacitors come in various types and styles. Electrolytic Capacitors are POLARIZED meaning the positive and negative sides are identified and MUST be placed into the circuit correctly. Non-electrolytic Caps it does not matter in the least how they are connected. That is the ONLY real major differences, but, If connected backwards, you will be replacing it again.

Good Luck.

You can do anything, but not everything.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. :ugeek: