Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Innovv K2 Dual Camera System Review

Post by WingAdmin »

Did it melt internally, or was it located somewhere on the bike where engine heat melted it?

ctag
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade

Post by ctag »

It's next to the fuse box under a side cover. No exhaust pipes for about a foot in any direction.
I can't totally rule out something else didn't melt it, but I'd expect that something to show signs of overheating too.

"Voshkie" - 1985 GL1200 Aspencade
DesertBike
Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki Vstrom DL1000

Post by DesertBike »

Yikes!

When did you get your K2?

There have been a bunch of revisions to the power supply and it's become hard to keep track.

Does your power supply have the blue LED?
ctag
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade

Post by ctag »

Bought it late 2018, and then installed it June 2019 IIRC.
No blue LED on this power supply.
"Voshkie" - 1985 GL1200 Aspencade
DesertBike
Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki Vstrom DL1000

Post by DesertBike »

That makes it one of the first few versions of the power supply.

There have been at least 5 revisions to the power supply since K2's hit the market. The last 3 or 4 have had the blue "standby power indicator" LED, and they've varied the shutdown time. Mine has a 25 second timer for shutdown (after you stop the engine).

I realize I haven't given an update here, regarding my previously-terrible experiences with my K2. Since that post last July, Innovv sent me an entire new system, including a new design of the power supply.

That fixed all my problems. All of which were, apparently, due to a faulty power supply (older design). That older one was shutting itself off any time it got the slightest bit warm. But that's fixed now. Zero problems with the K2 since then.

If you contact Innovv, they may send you a free replacement power converter. Even if you have to buy one, they're not terribly expensive. Good luck!
C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub »

This is the weekend! I finally have the time to install my K2 on my 2016 Wing. No other big projects and I need to get this done before our Colorado trip in 5 weeks.

I've taken the seat off, plugged everything in, powered it up and formatted the card. It all seems to work properly. Yay!

Now the hard part. Where to mount everything? I've had a kuryakyn center cubby replacement for a while and like having the cup holder to put my little 16oz thermos in and the two little side pockets. I'm debating three locations for the unit & power converter. The power converter might stay under the seat, but I'm not sure yet. If it doesn't I'll definitely need more wiring to put it wherever.

1. Trunk
2. Center box
3. Left fairing cubby

1. The trunk seems to be a very common place to put everything. I'm wary about drilling holes big enough to fit the connectors through. Then what to seal up that big hole? Flex seal? The trunk is probably the most secure location to mount everything. It's just that hole is really bugging me. And then routing the front camera cable all the way back up front. That last part probably isn't as big a deal as I'm making it out to be, but I'm not there yet. Ugh!

2. The center box seems like an obvious easier location and is lockable. I found the original lid and will probably get an insulated 2L camelbak that will fit in my jacket to solve the hydration while riding problem. The issue here is similar to the trunk. Drilling a hole big enough to get the connectors through then sealing it up. However, getting underneath the center box is not as easy as getting to the backside of the trunk.

3. The left fairing cubby is probably the easiest to get to and is big enough to put the unit and power converter into. There already is a small hole for the audio jack that I don't use. I would just make the hole bigger and then seal it up with some flex seal I guess. The biggest issue here is that it is not lockable. Unless someone knows of a replacement door that is lockable, that would be nice.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargeant Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
Patriot Guard Rider
C-dub
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M

Post by C-dub »

Utter disappointment!

In my ability to get the cable from the front camera routed back to the DVR. The rest was going to be easy. I decided to put it in the trunk, but hadn't drilled the hole yet.

I couldn't even get it up into the left shelter cubby area. It looks easy enough and I could fish a coat hanger down, but could not bring it back up with the connector. I could reach the bottom opening with my hand and the connector without the coat hanger and couldn't get the connector to fit through the little opening I was trying to get it through. I don't know how much plastic ya'll have taken off to get this done, but it seems like it will be more than I am so far comfortable with myself.

I do need to have a couple other things done by the dealer before our trip, so I guess I'll have them install this. Ugh!!! I was worried, but thought I was going to be able to do this. This sucks.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargeant Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
Patriot Guard Rider
C-dub
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M

Post by C-dub »

I got them installed and they work fine. They had me come back into the shop to help determine placement and stuff with the app open on my phone so we could see the views. VHB tape seem to be working at this time. I've only been able to check out the video from the ride home afterward. I had set everything when I powered it on at home when I tried installing them, but didn't think about checking all the settings since I completely disconnected it from power. It reverted back to the TS file type and I could not view any of those files with that DashCam Viewer program. I did get some still images and was able to watch the video with some program on my computer, but without all the fancy additional information. No more ride video since Thursday because I had a bunch of other stuff to get done around the house. And I smoked my first Pork Butt yesterday that turned out amazing!

The only thing I'm not completely pleased with regarding the cameras so far is the angle of the rear facing camera. It's not bad and I knew we wouldn't get it right the first time, so no big deal there. I'll try and get it turned a few degrees to the orientation I'd like better now that I've seen some video. The one I'm the most displeased with is the front camera view. There is so much of the front fender in the view that it is a bit distracting when watching the video and takes up a good amount of the view/image. Both cameras are unobtrusive and even more not obvious than on Scott's Wing since his is white and mine is black/charcoal. To get the optimal view from the front camera I think I would have to mount it somewhere that would make it much more conspicuous. I'll certainly have to mull that over before hand.
Patriot Guard Rider
MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
184K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
14K Miles

Post by MikeB »

How about a picture of where you have the cams mounted?
I do not have the Innov but the cam mounting is similar.
I do not have a problem with the front fender encroaching on the video. But the bottom of the truck is in the shots on the rear.
Here is where mine are on my 2017:

MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 1968 - 1986 / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 1986 - 1992. Retired
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 1992 - 2014
Retired in Tacoma, WA
C-dub
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M

Post by C-dub »

MikeB wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:49 pm How about a picture of where you have the cams mounted?
I do not have a problem with the front fender encroaching on the video. But the bottom of the truck is in the shots on the rear.
2017 Fwd.jpg2017 Rear.jpg
Hello Mike,
My front camera is in the same spot opposite side. How does yours not pick up the front fender? Do you have it angled up or level to the ground?

My rear camera is roughly the same just a little more to the left. It is with the camera lense as much aft as possible and might also have a tiny bit of the bottom of the trunk in the view. However, without mounting it to the under side of the trunk, which is still a possibility, the amount of trunk in the dot isn’t that bad. It’s that front fender that bothers me more.
Patriot Guard Rider
MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
184K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
14K Miles

Post by MikeB »

C-dub wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:00 pm
MikeB wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:49 pm How about a picture of where you have the cams mounted?
2017 Fwd.jpg2017 Rear.jpg
Hello Mike,
My front camera is in the same spot opposite side. How does yours not pick up the front fender? Do you have it angled up or level to the ground?

My rear camera is roughly the same just a little more to the left. It is with the camera lense as much aft as possible and might also have a tiny bit of the bottom of the trunk in the view. However, without mounting it to the under side of the trunk, which is still a possibility, the amount of trunk in the dot isn’t that bad. It’s that front fender that bothers me more.
Maybe it is because I have the cam slightly angled to the left. Here is a still of front cam shot:

You can see a small portion of the fender in the lower right corner.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 1968 - 1986 / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 1986 - 1992. Retired
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 1992 - 2014
Retired in Tacoma, WA
C-dub
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M

Post by C-dub »

Minor issue resolved this morning.

A few days ago after having everything installed and up and running on Thursday, I noticed it wasn’t powering down when shutting off the bike.

I double checked installation wiring this morning and it was all correct. I also was unable connect to the unit vis WiFi. It just didn’t show up as a network. So, I disconnected main power and reconnected and all is back to normal.

I already had parking mode turned off even though it was not shutting down properly. So, I turned off the G-sensor and microphone. All I was getting from the mic anyway was clicking noise from the trunk.

I’ll take it out for another ride before our trip and see if it shuts down properly. At least for now I know disconnecting power resets it and can do that on the trip if needed. I don’t want it draining the battery when I’m 1,000 miles from home.
Patriot Guard Rider
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

C-dub wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:56 am Minor issue resolved this morning.

A few days ago after having everything installed and up and running on Thursday, I noticed it wasn’t powering down when shutting off the bike.

I double checked installation wiring this morning and it was all correct. I also was unable connect to the unit vis WiFi. It just didn’t show up as a network. So, I disconnected main power and reconnected and all is back to normal.

I already had parking mode turned off even though it was not shutting down properly. So, I turned off the G-sensor and microphone. All I was getting from the mic anyway was clicking noise from the trunk.

I’ll take it out for another ride before our trip and see if it shuts down properly. At least for now I know disconnecting power resets it and can do that on the trip if needed. I don’t want it draining the battery when I’m 1,000 miles from home.
I recall having that problem very early on, with an early version of the firmware. Make sure you firmware is up to date.
C-dub
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M

Post by C-dub »

WingAdmin wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:42 am
C-dub wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:56 am Minor issue resolved this morning.

I recall having that problem very early on, with an early version of the firmware. Make sure you firmware is up to date.
It was up to date when I tried to install it myself a few weeks ago and powered it up and formatted the card. I’ll check again before leaving.

This system was purchased end of last year as I received it for last Christmas.

Patriot Guard Rider