Innovv K5 4K Dual Camera System Review (VIDEO)

Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Innovv K5 4K Dual Camera System Review (VIDEO)

Post by WingAdmin »

If there is one thing motorcyclists like to do, it's share their love of motorcycling. One of the ways they do this is by recording video of their rides. I've been doing this myself for many years - starting by duct-taping a digital camera to my helmet! Don't laugh, it worked!

I've gone through a long series of cameras, from tiny battery-powered cameras to the BulletHD Biker Pro to the Innovv C5 system, to the Innovv K2 dual HD camera system.

There are many cameras - helmet cameras, chest cameras, cameras that mount to handlebars, the list goes on. My preferred type of camera is the type that is permanently mounted to the bike, powered by the bike, so that it is not dependent on batteries. This camera, similar to a dashcam, requires no user intervention. It just records, all the time. For this reason, it's particularly good for capturing incidents - accidents, near accidents, and so on. This can actually be used as legal defense!

As they have done for years, Innovv took many suggestions from motorcyclists around the world and move those suggestions into the newest product, their flagship new 4K Innovv K5 Dual Camera System. It's similar to the previous K2 in some ways: it retains the rear HD bullet style camera, but the DVR is now integrated into the front 4K camera.

There are several different camera resolutions and bitrates available for different image qualities vs file size. Videos are recordable in H.264 or H.265 format. The impact sensor has been improved, as has the GPS.

Before we start: I created a VIDEO review of this camera system, the largest and longest video I have ever made. We go over the contents of the system with a detailed unboxing, then demonstrate how I installed it on my motorcycle, followed up with sample footage - all in glorious 4K video! While you can see the video here, I highly suggest you click on it to view it on the YouTube platform. It is an hour and twenty minutes long, and if you look in the description on YouTube, you can see links to the various sections of the video, so you don't have to sit through the whole thing to find the parts you're interested in! Here's the video:

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

And now on with the review!

The new K5 comes in a high quality box, just like all previous Innovv products.

Opening the box, the components are seated inside, protected by foam (now removed).

The mounts for the new camera are similar to previous Innovv cameras, with some improvements. The rear mount now allows adjustment of camera elevation up and down, and the front mount comes with more mounting options.

The front camera actually contains the entire DVR system, and as such it is larger than the K2 "bullet" camera - but still a relatively small unit. It is completely waterproof, as it has to be in order to be mounted hanging out in the wind and rain.

There is a threaded hole on the bottom of the camera to connect the camera to the included mounting system.

The side has a sealed, weatherproof panel under which is the Micro-USB port and Micro-SD card slot. My early unit has screws to seal it.

The camera is now shipped with thumbscrews, so that a screwdriver is not required to access the SD card.

The rear camera, an HD camera, is a bullet camera, much like the K2.

The same intelligent-delay power supply is supplied with the unit, which allows the camera to turn on and off gracefully with bike power, to prevent loss of data. It also allows power to get to the camera in parking monitor mode.

I found that the power supply wiring was a bit too short, so I had to cut and extend it. Innovv has fixed this, and cameras are now shipped with longer power supply cabling.

The unit comes with a remote control that shows you whether it is recording, if it has GPS signal, and if Wifi is turned on. It also has a button that allows you to take snapshot photographs and to mark videos as "important" so that they won't get overwritten by the camera.

Because all the wiring now goes to the front camera, which holds the DVR, I had to make sure I had sufficient room inside the fairing to fit the bundle of cables. I was worried about this during the install, but it actually worked out OK.

Planning the position of the camera is important, as you need a good field of view, but it can't interfere with steering or suspension movement.

I started by hooking up the power supply to the power distribution bus and ground bus in my bike.

As with my K2 camera system, I used 3M VHB Adhesive Foam Tape along with 3M Adhesion Promoter to mount the rear camera. This VHB (very high bond) tape is designed for affixing exterior automotive trim, and is extremely strong. It has held my cameras in place for years!

Carefully positioning the camera, because once you've stuck it in place, it is a tough job getting it off!!

Next I pulled the wire from the rear camera to the front where the front camera/DVR will live.

I mounted the GPS antenna again with VHB tape, on my glareshield, where the GPS antenna from my K2 was also mounted.

Once again using VHB, I mounted the remote control on my dashboard. They include mounting hardware to mount it to your handlebars if you so desire.

After careful consideration, I decided that I would also use VHB tape to mount the front DVR/camera. 3M recommends utilizing four square inches of tape for every pound of load supported. The camera/DVR is nowhere near a pound in weight, but with just a bit over four square inches of tape, it is not going anywhere.

I spent a lot of time with the camera turned on and looking at the live video feed on my phone to make sure the camera was positioned exactly right before pushing it into place.

Next, I had to route all of the cables, and fasten the Wifi antenna in place. The Wifi antenna could definitely stand to have a longer wire, and perhaps a better way of fastening it in place.

The wires got routed up inside the fairing, between the fairing and the support frame.

Once I had them safely routed away from the fork tubes, I used wire ties to hold them in place.

Excess wire got bundled up and secured inside the fairing under the right cubby pocket.

Checking the live image on my phone, everything looks good!

The remote lights up, but it's not too bright. In sunlight you may have trouble seeing the lights, but it's not annoying at night. During normal operation it does not flash, which is nice. When the bike senses an impact when parked, it lights up as it begins recording a short clip from both cameras, to identify what caused the impact.

Let's look at some video captures from video taken. They are representative of what you see in the video, but of course are scaled down - not the original 4K, as that would not fit in this review. For actual 4K video, you need to view the YouTube video review at the top of this review.

Here we have a frame from a daytime ride in a rural area, front camera. Notice the quality of the image even though the sun is in the image.

The rural image from the rear camera has similar quality.

In rural areas, the slower speeds means less motion blur, and less compression artifacts.

Similarly, the same thing is true for the rear camera at slower speeds.

At highway speeds, you still get a very clear, usable picture.

When you are at a stop, there are no motion artifacts at all, so the picture is incredibly clear - a very clear, high resolution 4K image.

Similarly, at rest, the rear camera takes incredible images.

At night, the low light capabilities of the front camera shine, you have a tremendous view of far down the road. Of course, the increased shutter speed at night causes far more motion blur.

The rear camera also has incredible low-light capabilities - you can even see the glow in the sky from a distant city.

In an urban area, the dim light provided by streetlights allows much more detail to be made out.

The rear camera performs similarly, although it does suffer a bit from internal lens reflection from headlights.

At night on the highway, you can again see far down the road.

At night the rear camera still shows flare and internal lens reflection from headlights.

Here are some image captures from cars that were passing with a closure rate of 120 mph. Despite the very high speed closure rate, we still record enough detail to make out license plates.

The same goes for the rear camera, with a speed differential of 120 mph.

The phone application offers a number of features. You can view live video, or manage the recordings on the camera, and control the camera settings.

Here you can see a list of the front and rear camera videos currently stored on the DVR.

Clicking on one of the videos, you can play it directly, delete it, or copy it to your phone.

Copying to your phone over Wifi takes about 20 seconds for each one-minute video. I wish you could select multiple videos and tell it to copy all of them, instead of being forced to do it one at a time (waiting 20 seconds for each one).

The live video mode shows either or both the front and rear cameras. You can turn the phone sideways to view them full screen.

The settings screens allow you to modify all of the different functional settings of the camera system. I won't go into them all here - you can download the manual from the Innovv site or you can watch me go over the settings and explain the various functions in the video at the top of this review.

And that's it! the new K5 from Innovv is a great new release that really ticks all the boxes. Here's what I love:

- Image quality much improved, 4K is amazing!
- Low light even better than the K2
- Separate microphone can be clipped to clothing for narration, or anywhere on the bike
- Newer, improved mounts
- Improved application
- User selectable resolutions and bitrates
- 2 and 5 GHz Wifi, for much faster file transfers
- Easy to use and helpful remote control

Here's some things I don't love that could be improved:

- Wifi antenna needs better mounting solution
- I wish the cable bundle coming from the front camera/DVR were bound together as a single cable, and maybe a foot or two longer
- It would be great if the app allowed you to queue multiple files to copy, rather than having to select and copy them one at a time

Overall, this is a fantastic solution for anyone who wants to capture extremely high quality motorcycle video on their bike!

OCD Tronic
Motorcycle: INNOVV Motorcycle Camera Systems
North America Sales & Support
775-319-6222

Re: Innovv K5 4K Dual Camera System Review (VIDEO)

Post by OCD Tronic »

Now that's what I call a very nice detailed all around great review!
(thanks for shooting in 4K too)
:D
HTTPS://Facebook.com/OCDtronic
Click the "Shop Now" button for the Amazon Store or http://bit.ly/ocdtronic
tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper »

For $458 I will wait to buy someone's used K2. I can't see much beyond .5K resolution anyway.
'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2
OCD Tronic
Motorcycle: INNOVV Motorcycle Camera Systems
North America Sales & Support
775-319-6222

Post by OCD Tronic »

UPDATE: K5 is currently sold out as of today (yes, that was fast) but more stock is en route as we speak via Air Freight. (should arrive next week)
HTTPS://Facebook.com/OCDtronic
Click the "Shop Now" button for the Amazon Store or http://bit.ly/ocdtronic
WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

I had a few people ask me to post video recorded at the highest bitrate, so I did just that - you can see it here:

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!
C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub »

Great video Scott.

Even though I'm having trouble getting my K2 installed and will probably have the dealer do it (ugh) I am curious about something that seems common in yours and several others' installations. I don't recall that I've seen anyone mount their front camera in the center. Is there any particular reason for that with you?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargeant Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
Patriot Guard Rider
MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
184K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
14K Miles

Post by MikeB »

You might find that mounting the camera in the center will cause it to hit the front fender on a hard hit in a pot hole or speed bump. That won't harm the camera I don't think but it can damage that expensive fender or even the plastic where the cameras is mounted.
The camera has a wide enough view that you will not even notice the difference in the videos no mater where you mount it, left, right, or center.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 1968 - 1986 / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 1986 - 1992. Retired
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 1992 - 2014
Retired in Tacoma, WA
C-dub
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M

Post by C-dub »

MikeB wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:38 pm You might find that mounting the camera in the center will cause it to hit the front fender on a hard hit in a pot hole or speed bump. That won't harm the camera I don't think but it can damage that expensive fender or even the plastic where the cameras is mounted.
The camera has a wide enough view that you will not even notice the difference in the videos no mater where you mount it, left, right, or center.
I've read that somewhere before. Is there really that much travel in the front suspension? That seems like a long way up.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargeant Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
Patriot Guard Rider
WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

MikeB wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:38 pm You might find that mounting the camera in the center will cause it to hit the front fender on a hard hit in a pot hole or speed bump. That won't harm the camera I don't think but it can damage that expensive fender or even the plastic where the cameras is mounted.
This is exactly the reason. And yes, under an extremely hard bump, the suspension can travel so that the front fender almost meets the bottom of the fairing. A camera there would get smashed, or break the fender, or fairing. Theoretically, it's still possible that it *could* get hit off to one side, but the chances of hitting a bump that hard (meaning a fair amount of speed) while having the steering that far over is pretty unlikely.

Next time you have the springs out of your forks, try compressing them to see just how much travel they have. It's eye-opening.
C-dub
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M

Post by C-dub »

WingAdmin wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:23 am
This is exactly the reason. And yes, under an extremely hard bump, the suspension can travel so that the front fender almost meets the bottom of the fairing. A camera there would get smashed, or break the fender, or fairing. Theoretically, it's still possible that it *could* get hit off to one side, but the chances of hitting a bump that hard (meaning a fair amount of speed) while having the steering that far over is pretty unlikely.

Next time you have the springs out of your forks, try compressing them to see just how much travel they have. It's eye-opening.
Whoa.

In that case I'm a little glad I was unsuccessful this past weekend.
Patriot Guard Rider
autonoob
Motorcycle: 2000 Honda Goldwing GL1500

Post by autonoob »

Interesting, now I feel like I need one but the old one on my bike still works. :?:
WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

Innovv sent me some new thumbscrews for my unit, to replace the small slotted machine screws. These are used to hold the weatherproof cover in place that allows access to the Micro SD card:

Earlier units (like mine) had these screws:

I received these replacement thumbscrews, which apparently all new units are now supplied with:

New thumbscrews
New thumbscrews

This makes it much easier to gain access to the Micro SD card:

Thumbscrews installed
Thumbscrews installed

RLEGoldwing
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 Goldwing

Post by RLEGoldwing »

I am in awe of the detailed effort and completeness of your review, sir. Kudos!

Have you shared this review with Innovv and spoken to them about the few needed improvements you mentioned? That may save me and Innovv time because I'm likely to make attempts to get a couple of the "easy" things accomplished for my purchase. Your review makes it sound worth me even paying for the factory to produce the longer harnesses you mention to tidy-up the installation. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Does the Innovv system have a sensor to detect motion of people getting close to the bike so it can initiate operation prior to whatever accident or mischief may occur? I'll be reading more from Innovv yet appears you are already expert at the system so figure I should ask.

When the cameras switch on in parked monitoring, does the system also record audio in the area of the bike?

I'm about to have the front fairing (and more) disassembled on my '05 for some work so it is time for me to make the leap. I've been planning on a K2 for past 2-years yet looks like the K5 will be well worth the investment.

Thanks again for the awesome information.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

RLEGoldwing wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:51 pm I am in awe of the detailed effort and completeness of your review, sir. Kudos!

Have you shared this review with Innovv and spoken to them about the few needed improvements you mentioned? That may save me and Innovv time because I'm likely to make attempts to get a couple of the "easy" things accomplished for my purchase. Your review makes it sound worth me even paying for the factory to produce the longer harnesses you mention to tidy-up the installation. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.
Yes, they have seen the review (in fact they have posted here in response). The longer harnesses are already in production with the current version of the camera.
RLEGoldwing wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:51 pm Does the Innovv system have a sensor to detect motion of people getting close to the bike so it can initiate operation prior to whatever accident or mischief may occur? I'll be reading more from Innovv yet appears you are already expert at the system so figure I should ask.
The proximity is based on what the cameras can "see" - so if they approach the bike in view of the cameras, they will start recording. Interesting idea though, to have an actual microwave proximity sensor that triggered the camera record when someone was too close.
RLEGoldwing wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:51 pm When the cameras switch on in parked monitoring, does the system also record audio in the area of the bike?
Yes!
RLEGoldwing
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 Goldwing

Post by RLEGoldwing »

WingAdmin wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:56 pm
RLEGoldwing wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:51 pm I am in awe of the detailed effort and completeness of your review, sir. Kudos!

Yes, they have seen the review (in fact they have posted here in response). The longer harnesses are already in production with the current version of the camera.
RLEGoldwing wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:51 pm Does the Innovv system have a sensor to detect motion of people getting close to the bike so it can initiate operation prior to whatever accident or mischief may occur? I'll be reading more from Innovv yet appears you are already expert at the system so figure I should ask.
The proximity is based on what the cameras can "see" - so if they approach the bike in view of the cameras, they will start recording. Interesting idea though, to have an actual microwave proximity sensor that triggered the camera record when someone was too close.
RLEGoldwing wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:51 pm When the cameras switch on in parked monitoring, does the system also record audio in the area of the bike?
Yes!
Well, YOU are awesome! Thanks for responses.