The Best (and cheapest) Riding Sunglasses

Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
Keef
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 Aspencade

Re: The Best (and cheapest) Riding Sunglasses

Post by Keef » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:34 pm

Been using them for years. Better buy a handful before they go up in price.

gypsy traveler
Motorcycle: 99 Goldwing se was totalled by a drunk driver while parked, now a 96 se same paint scheme...prev 46 other bikes---am looking for a tw 200 yamaha for a 2nd bike...

Post by gypsy traveler » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:15 am

Walmart was selling polarized sunglasses in their FISHING DEPT...5-7 bucks I have bought several pair.
Welding supplies sell tinted safety glasses at a reasonable price! Good source of amber & clear safety glasses also!
Been paying about 10 bucks.
DO NOT BUY WELDING/CUTTING TINTED LENSES!!! [turn/brake lights become INVISIBLE in the sun!!]

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:07 am

gypsy traveler wrote:Walmart was selling polarized sunglasses in their FISHING DEPT...5-7 bucks I have bought several pair.
Welding supplies sell tinted safety glasses at a reasonable price! Good source of amber & clear safety glasses also!
Been paying about 10 bucks.
DO NOT BUY WELDING/CUTTING TINTED LENSES!!! [turn/brake lights become INVISIBLE in the sun!!]
The problem with polarized sunglasses is that they produce extremely distracting rainbow patterns (interference patterns) when you look through plexiglass - like a helmet faceshield or a windshield. That's why I originally posted this review - it's a cheap source of good, NON-polarized sunglasses.

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Post by NVSB4 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:31 am

I liked the HF sunglasses so much that I bought a bunch of them.
I keep a couple of extra pairs on the bike and a pair in each of the cars.

On another side note, HF has the same glasses in clear.
I keep a pair of those on the bike in case I get caught at night without eye protection.
Here in Texas, I like to keep my visor up in the summer for more airflow.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

gypsy traveler
Motorcycle: 99 Goldwing se was totalled by a drunk driver while parked, now a 96 se same paint scheme...prev 46 other bikes---am looking for a tw 200 yamaha for a 2nd bike...

Post by gypsy traveler » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:12 am

Scott, Thanks about those details regarding polarized glasses and GW windscreens...haven't tried them on my 1st GW!
I'm not a newbie but I am a newbie to GWs. A whopping total of 4 mi! LOL! A shout out to your membership and yourself for all your postings! They have greatly advanced my GW knowledge and I've incorporated some thoughts and ideas/products already! You folks hove cost me hundreds but have saved me thousands! lol!
Ex; shift support, darkside articles, other product reviews, others projects etc...OOPS hijacked my own thread!

motorhead1977
Motorcycle: 2018 BMW R1200 RT, 2015 Ducati Scrambler 800, 1987 VFR 400R, 1986 VFR 700F Gone: 2009 GL 1800 ABS

Post by motorhead1977 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:28 am

I have very long eye lashes so most wrap around sunglasses fit so close to my eyes that they are uncomfortable as my eye lashes will just touch and rub against the lenses. The only sunglasses I have found that fit comfortably and offer good eye and wind protection (even though their appearance would make you think otherwise are KD's. Yes I know they are advertised as "Biker Look", Sons of Anarchy style etc. etc. but for me they work extremely well. They keep wind out of your eyes even if you ride without a helmet like I did waaaay way back when I was crazy enough to ride that way. Non polarized unless you specifically choose that option. A little pricey at 10-12 bucks but if you shop them you can find close out pricing as low as 5-7 bucks http://tinyurl.com/hlbmuwg. Lenses available in many different colors too, though I prefer the brown ones. http://www.originalkds.com/
"When fascism comes to America it will be draped in the flag and carrying the cross." Sinclair Lewis

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE
2018 Ural GearUp

Post by Happytrails » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:42 pm

Bought a set of sunglasses from Amazon. They are the kind cyclists wear with interchangeable lenses. Comfortable and inexpensive. Finding the amber lenses great for early morning or cloudy days. Comes with 4 other lenses, case, bag and cleaning cloth. $25 if I remember right.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Post by Uncle Fester » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:03 pm

I found this "article" on lens color. . . . it is interesting, even if it is a sales pitch for the company

http://fitovers.com/blog/sunglasses-lens-color-guide/
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore,
Dream,
Discover!

Mark Twain

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE
2018 Ural GearUp

Post by Happytrails » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:28 pm

Not able to go back and edit my other post. Guess cause its been to long. But here are the sunglasses I bought off amazon. I thought they were inexpensive just $20. Sunglasses tend to fog when I wear them with a full face helmet but these are vented so long as I'm moving its good. Haven't tried all the lenses. The polarized and amber driving lenses were what I mainly wanted. But the regular smoked ones are ok too. Fit in my helmet comfortably. I wear a very dark smoked shield on my helmet so sometimes I will wear the driving lenses so when I flip my shield up to get some air I can see good. If its real sunny or the sun is in my eyes I flip the shield down.

These wrap around so are nice for when you reach your destination too. Like that is has a case to store everything. Has storage for the 5 or 6 lenses. Eye glass holder thing. Cleaning cloth. Was a little tricky swapping out lenses but I think I'm getting the hang of it now. The mirrored lens I think is just a dark smoke sunglass lens. The polarized one is just plain dark looking and I haven't rode with that one yet. But I am impressed with the amber driving lens. On a cloudy day it makes it seem sunny out. Wore these a lot last fall when the weather was turning colder. The case zips up and is a sort of hard case. Amazes me that you get all this for the price. Works nice so far and would buy again. :D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JB3 ... ingdocs-20

Attachments

1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Post by OldZX11Rider » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:36 pm

Going to make a trip to Harbor Freight and pick up a pair of these glasses. Mine fell apart on me. My wife got'em for me at Dollar General and I wore them to make her happy.
But while out riding around in a cross wind, I got to wishing I had a pair of wrap around style sunglasses.
Since the Dollar General glasses fell apart I can now get what I think I need. And if I'm wrong, it's only a $2.49 mistake. :D
(Not like a lot of other mistakes I've made! :lol: )
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

SlowLaneScott
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800A

Post by SlowLaneScott » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:25 am

Hello Folks,
I have been using safety glasses for years to keep the bugs and sunlight out as they are so comfortable and affordable. While vacationing one year we noticed a "Sun Smart" booth set up at a beach to test and advise the folks there about the quality of their sunglasses. I had several pairs tested and they said to throw out my safety sunglasses, as they had no UV protection at all and going without glasses would have been safer for my eyes while sitting on the beach. Without sunglasses your eyes will compensate and squint to protect. I have been searching ever since for a a UV protected, economical pair.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:07 am

SlowLaneScott wrote:Hello Folks,
I have been using safety glasses for years to keep the bugs and sunlight out as they are so comfortable and affordable. While vacationing one year we noticed a "Sun Smart" booth set up at a beach to test and advise the folks there about the quality of their sunglasses. I had several pairs tested and they said to throw out my safety sunglasses, as they had no UV protection at all and going without glasses would have been safer for my eyes while sitting on the beach. Without sunglasses your eyes will compensate and squint to protect. I have been searching ever since for a a UV protected, economical pair.
Virtually all safety glasses (including the ones originally mentioned here) are made of polycarbonate, which itself has complete UV blocking - so it blocks UV even without UV-blocking coatings. See:

http://www.allaboutvision.com/lenses/polycarb.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycarbonate

OldZX11Rider

Post by OldZX11Rider » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:52 am

Since July, I have bought several pair of the tinted HF safety glasses and, when I remember, I buy an extra pair each time I go there.
So now I have them in my truck and an extra pair (or 2 or 3) of new ones in the boot of the bike.
For me they work and I can leave them on the bike anywhere and no one wants to swipe'em. :lol:
And maybe because they're cheap, I haven't lost them or sat on them or stepped on them or anything, yet. :D
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

DpaulTN
Motorcycle: 1993 Goldwing Aspencade GL1500A

Post by DpaulTN » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:23 am

OldZX11Rider

Post by OldZX11Rider » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:03 am

I bought some yellow tinted shooting glasses years ago. Just couldn't get used to them. They may be better now but trying to shoot blue dots when the blue dots looked green, (or vice versa) just didn't work out too good.
That was in the late '80's or early '90's. Haven't tried a pair since then.

GL1500Foster
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500

Post by GL1500Foster » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:28 am

Yes!!! I thought I was the only person who used these!! The Harbor Freight work glasses are amazing! I have a couple extra pairs in my bike just in case as well!

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:49 am

Reading back in this thread and noticed almost all URLs are dead links.

Here's a link to my glasses.
Look at their other glasses, few different styles.

ebay.com/itm/BIFOCAL-VISION-READING-SUNGLASSES-HD-HIGH-DENSITY-DRIVING-SPORT-ANTI-GLARE-987BF-/221100293354?var=&hash=item337a9abcea:m:mvS3-LrQoB5CYJFI--oKFKQ

Then there are these
Sunglasses.. ONE SIZE FITS ALL

I'm hounded for posting helpful solutions? ARGO!!! (2012 film)
"May you have a quick & safe trip into oblivion"

OldZX11Rider

Post by OldZX11Rider » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:04 pm

Oh, she's hot! Too bad the sunglasses cover up so much of her face. :roll:

blackbird
Motorcycle: 1966 305 Scrambler
1968 Trail 90
1970 Trail 90
1995 Pacific Coast
1983 GL1100A
2008 GL 1800

Post by blackbird » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:05 pm

Never too late to find a useful post here. I bought 3 pairs of these inexpensive sunglasses (paid $1.97/pair, in both smoke color and yellow lenses) last week. Both my wife and I were looking for shades we could wear while riding and not have the discomfort with the helmet on. I just had cataract surgery last fall in both eyes, so the polycarbonate lenses that were installed let ALL the light in. We finally had a dry day last weekend (sunbreak as they are called in the Northwest). I rode for a couple of hours and the glasses were great. Fit well inside the helmet, no issues with glare or problems encountered with polarized lenses. I will have several pairs on the bike and in my car, and still not come close to paying what other sunglasses cost.

Soupcat 1920
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 x 2 ,1975 CB400F , 1979 Yamaha XS650SF, 1981 Yamaha XS650SH

Post by Soupcat 1920 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:51 pm

I’ve been wearing safety glasses as sunglasses for a number of years and agree with wingadmin that they are great all around sunglasses for motorcycling.I have been spending about $7.50 a pair because I get mine with readers in them( apparently I’m getting old).I buy them at a safety equipment supply store. I work construction so they work great on the job as well. I only wish they had readers in the top of the lenses as well because I spend a great deal of time working overhead and looking up. I recommend them heartily.

Alan_Hepburn
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

Post by Alan_Hepburn » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:42 pm

When I had cataract surgery a couple of years ago they gave me a pair of sunglasses that pretty much surround my eyes on all sides - I've been using them ever since!
Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

Overdog
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

74 BMW R90/6

Post by Overdog » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:00 pm

Soupcat 1920 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:51 pm
I’ve been wearing safety glasses as sunglasses for a number of years and agree with wingadmin that they are great all around sunglasses for motorcycling.I have been spending about $7.50 a pair because I get mine with readers in them( apparently I’m getting old).I buy them at a safety equipment supply store. I work construction so they work great on the job as well. I only wish they had readers in the top of the lenses as well because I spend a great deal of time working overhead and looking up. I recommend them heartily.
Ask and ye shall receive! https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/bf30.html

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:39 pm

Overdog wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:00 pm
Soupcat 1920 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:51 pm
.... I only wish they had readers in the top of the lenses as well because I spend a great deal of time working overhead and looking up. I recommend them heartily.
Ask and ye shall receive! https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/bf30.html
OH MAN... where were these 20 years ago. Cutting in ceilings, especially dark walls to white ceilings, I had to either change readers or turn my bottom inset readers up side down.

I'm hounded for posting helpful solutions? ARGO!!! (2012 film)
"May you have a quick & safe trip into oblivion"

Soupcat 1920
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 x 2 ,1975 CB400F , 1979 Yamaha XS650SF, 1981 Yamaha XS650SH

Post by Soupcat 1920 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Yes, that’s exactly what I’m looking for! Thanks!