Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Insta Motorcycle Tow by BillyBob1

Post by WingAdmin » Mon May 01, 2017 7:57 pm

mervk wrote:I have towed a small automatic Suzuki car many miles behind my motorhome. You can't tow an automatic for the same lubrication reasons mentioned multiple times here. The Suzuki has a transfer box which allows it to be put into neutral, however the oil pump still does not function during tow. Suzuki officially state that it is safe to tow providing the motor is started for a few minutes every couple hundred miles. If a bearing is lubricated, it will not dry out immediately, and periodically re-lubricating it by starting the motor should protect it. After my Suzuki experience, I'd be happy to tow my wing, running the motor for a couple minutes every time I stopped for a coffee. Just saying.
Motorcycle transmissions work very differently than auto transmissions, as I mentioned - with the gears spinning on shafts, and depending on oil being pumped under pressure through tiny holes in those shafts to keep them lubricated while spinning. It's not just some meshing gears like an auto transmission.

a1sailboats
Motorcycle: 2010 Goldwing

Post by a1sailboats » Mon May 01, 2017 9:07 pm

I can see where the insta tow could be a useful alternative to a traditional trailer. I have an aluminum tilting 4x8 XTV from Triton Trailers in Hartford, Wisconsin, cost $900., weighs only 200lbs, keeps everything off the ground. I can tow it behind the bike, switch the trailer to a tow vehicle, and load the bike aboard, using a ramp . I usually use a fully enclosed 7x12 single axle 1500 lb trailer. Keeps the bike safe, clean and dry, and all my riding equipment is carried inside also, along with a second full size bike, or a couple bicycles. I feel the extra gas is worth it. You can camp out in the trailer also, with a netting arrangement for the rear ramp door and side door. Cheers and happy towing. - Jim

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse » Mon May 01, 2017 10:44 pm

And then there's the orange ratchet strap in the picture of the original post that attaches to the highway peg on the right side, goes to the tow unit's upright post and then to what looks like something higher up on the back, left, side, as seen behind the wheel. But, the strap attached to the bike would be trying to keep the bike from pivoting at the fork stem. That would place a lot of pull, (pressure) on the steering and the crash bars. I, myself would never try this. My GL1500 may be 25 years old but, is worth way too much to me to take the chance.
Russell

RodneyH
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE

Post by RodneyH » Tue May 02, 2017 1:28 pm

Thanks for chiming in on this topic admin, I for one really like riding my bike but am in no way a mechanic and really don't know much about how it functions but it seems that every time I log onto this site I learn something different. I followed the step by step instructions on changing the oil in my 82 1100 and had no trouble at all. I recently sold it so now Im trying to learn as much as I can about the 99 1500se I just bought. This is a very informative and fun site, thanks again.

kenvil1
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500SE

Post by kenvil1 » Tue May 02, 2017 2:53 pm

The gears and bearings are loaded (under pressure) when the motorcycle is propelling itself, but the gears spin freely when the motorcycle is towed. Perhaps that is the difference.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Tue May 02, 2017 3:52 pm

Charlie1Horse wrote:And then there's the orange ratchet strap in the picture of the original post that attaches to the highway peg on the right side, goes to the tow unit's upright post and then to what looks like something higher up on the back, left, side, as seen behind the wheel. But, the strap attached to the bike would be trying to keep the bike from pivoting at the fork stem. That would place a lot of pull, (pressure) on the steering and the crash bars. I, myself would never try this. My GL1500 may be 25 years old but, is worth way too much to me to take the chance.
Russell
This is pretty much it: anyone is welcome to try this. You take any information and advice you see into consideration, make your own decision, and go with it. When it comes down to it, it's your bike, and you're free to do with it as you wish. :)

carlwatson
Motorcycle: 1995 GL 1500 interstate

Post by carlwatson » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:07 pm

Must say that's a really great idea I would put a backup camera on it so you could keep an eye on your bike in case you have a blowout or something you don't carry your rear rim to pieces before you know it. If you happen to know of any it will actually hold the whole motorcycle of 1,500 is about 830 lb dry and will fit on the back of an RV for less than a thousand bucks and have an extended towing so I can still tow my boat and bring a motorcycle I would love to hear about it. Are we Americans innovative
Better to live a short life than to exist forever.

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:45 pm

I see this has been resurrected, so I read it through again, and the thought came to me that towing a Harley with the rear wheel on the ground is not such a good idea either, although not as expensive a repair as a Goldwing. Harleys have a rear belt drive and the belts are about $160. They are designed to be stressed in one direction for the life of the belt and last for years. If you tow like this, instead of the belt driving the rear wheel, the rear wheel will drive the belt putting the stress on the teeth in the opposite direction, sorta like the bike is running in reverse. If the belt has been used for a couple of years, it gets set in its direction and the teeth can shear off in the opposite direction. This is not backed up with empirical scientific information, so take it with a grain of that white stuff you should put on cuts and wounds. Yeah, salt. Have a great day.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

carlwatson

Post by carlwatson » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:30 am

I fully agree 100% on what you're stating it's more from common sense then anything else the final drive gear is pushing the driveshaft on the goldwing instead of vice versa of course is also happens to take place when your downshifting going downhill or blah blah blah but it's not something that I think I would do quite frankly it would be good to find a good platform for the RV though. or retired guys can't afford those 3 and $4,000 bike platforms

mervk
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1986 1200 SEI and Trigg Trike kit.
1993 'Black Beauty' 1500 SE and chair.
1993 GL1500 Trike.
+ about 20 bikes from 1914 to current.

Post by mervk » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:04 am

Like I said a couple years ago in this thread, I'd have no hesitation in towing my wing as long as I started it every hundred miles or so and run it for a minute or so. Oil doesn't dry out that quick, and the wing box would not be any more susceptable then a transfer case on an auto transmission. And I've towed auto cars many thousands of miles, starting them every time I had a leg stretch to get fresh oil in all the right places. Manufacturers will tell you not to so as to cover their rear, the same as they say the bike is not suitable for a side car. But how many do you see getting around with one fitted? Just my opinion.
Merv Kroll
Downunder

carlwatson

Post by carlwatson » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:11 am

I have towed my 2006 Jeep Commander behind my RV it also has a little button that you push that zeros or neutralize the transmission which of course is the torque converter and allows the axled to free spin. I definitely don't really know how well that will work on the wings if you put them in neutral it's not going to turn your gearbox it's just going to turn the final drive which is basically a slinger for oil lubrication for me this isn't the answer but for many others for sure it is

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:50 am

carlwatson wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:11 am
I have towed my 2006 Jeep Commander behind my RV it also has a little button that you push that zeros or neutralize the transmission which of course is the torque converter and allows the axled to free spin. I definitely don't really know how well that will work on the wings if you put them in neutral it's not going to turn your gearbox it's just going to turn the final drive which is basically a slinger for oil lubrication for me this isn't the answer but for many others for sure it is
The Wing doesn't work that way. When the rear wheel is turning, the output portion of the transmission is turning. This means there are gears turning on bearings that rely on engine-driven oil pressure to lubricate. If the engine isn't running, you're spinning those gears on bearings at highway speed with NO lubrication.

And it's not about oil "drying out" as mentioned - the gears and bearings rely on a thin layer of oil for lubrication. As they spin, that layer of oil gets squished out. Normally, it is instantly replenished from the pressurized oil coming from the pump. If you are not running the engine, the oil layer gets squished out, and you instead have metal on metal. Starting the engine once an hour is not enough - the oil layer is eliminated in SECONDS, not minutes.

It's entirely up to you whether or not you wish to treat your bike with such disregard as to cause intentional catastrophic wear this way. But do NOT counsel others to do the same by saying "hey it works for me and no problems yet."

2003Cobra
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing GL1800 with a CSC Cobra trike kit.
1988 Harley Davidson Sportster
1985 Honda Saber VF1100 (Non-runner)

Post by 2003Cobra » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:08 pm

I've just read this entire thread and read a lot of opinions and read about reported discussion with Honda employee's but I have not seen anything official as to what Honda says. So I decided to look in my owners manual and see what it said. Here is what the 2003 GL1800 owners manual says on the subject. Seem clear to me.
Transporting Your Motorcycle
If your motorcycle needs to be transported, it should be carried on a motorcycle
trailer, or a truck or trailer with a flatbed area. For information about 24-hour
emergency assistance, see page 223 (USA only). Do not tow your motorcycle,
as towing can seriously damage the transmission.
When contacting a towing or transporting service, be sure to ask if they have a
flatbed area, a loading ramp or power ramp to safely lift the motorcycle, and
motorcycle tie-down straps.
Just about all my life I have been working on Mechanical equipment, Jet Engines, Motorcycles, small engines etc, and the one thing I have learned in all these years is if the manual says something you follow what the manual says and if it says don't do it then you don't do it.
2003 Goldwing GL1800 with CSC Cobra trike kit.
1988 Harley Davidson Sportster 883 with Hypercharger Bobber.
West GA Chapter 89 Southern Cruisers riding club.

carlwatson

Post by carlwatson » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:35 pm

Well I got word word to say about that.........AGREE

mervk
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1986 1200 SEI and Trigg Trike kit.
1993 'Black Beauty' 1500 SE and chair.
1993 GL1500 Trike.
+ about 20 bikes from 1914 to current.

Post by mervk » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:08 pm

Boy, don't any of you guys ever buy a Model T Ford, cause you wouldn't have the courage to drive it. They don't even have an oil pump, everything is splash feed. The Wing box is no different to other box, be it transfer case or auto - they all run on shafts spinning in bearings.
Merv Kroll
Downunder

philair
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Roadsmith trike

Post by philair » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:58 pm

Just leave the engine running & check every couple of hours. Doesn't cost that much in fuel, top it off when you top off the tow vehicle, watch it doesn't overheat. Have towed automatic cars for long distances with no issues. The gas is a lot less than an aux. pump, or removing a driveshaft.

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: previously owned 83 GL1100A aspencade traded for a motorhome, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. now own-1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Post by roadwanderer2 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:03 pm

Uncle Fester wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:04 pm
Just as another option here. As I understand it we are talking about a light weight option to tow a bike (our wings) that does not take up too much space , correct ? Or I should say that is what kicked off this topic. . . .

I have never used this, but has anyone looked at a Trailer In A Bag ? http://www.zenreich.com/ZenWeb/motorcyc ... inabag.htm It says it will handle a Wing, it fits in a large duffle bag for storage, and it keeps BOTH wheels off the ground. . . .

Just a option, I think . . .
Just chiming in on this old posting. I love this TIB thing, but what is the cost of it. That would be perfect for me to use.

Stuart.

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:18 am

Page says $1100, but he says he'd owned it 5 years at that point, so that price is at least that old and probably a lot more. Web site says $1499 now.
'03 GL1800A | Porsche 968 | Ford F-150 | Skidoo GSX (2) | Seadoo GTI (2) | Suzuki ATV (2)
A.A.O.N.M.S. | NRA Endowment | Gun Owners of America | Oath Keepers

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: previously owned 83 GL1100A aspencade traded for a motorhome, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. now own-1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Post by roadwanderer2 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:27 pm

Hell, I can build one cheaper than that. I have a friend that has some commercial steel "I" beams and some trailer axles, he'll probably let me build one with the materials he has.

Stuart.