1156 LED. My review. (sad news)

Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

1156 LED. My review. (sad news)

Post by FM-USA » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:43 pm

I bought a Chinese 1156 LED bulb with 20 - '5 watt' chips.

The visual results in PIX BELOW.
(LEFT) incandescent 1156 has 23 watts of light, (RIGHT) the LED has about 9 watts.
As you can see that LED is much dimmer.
They may make good display light but they're not too good for real use vehicle lighting.

This was my side by side housing both bulbs went in.
I turned off the basement lights and it was dark outside.

"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 1156 LED. My review. (sad news)

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:44 pm

It really depends on the bulb. A lot of the cheap Chinese LED lights are...well, let's just say you get what you pay for.

A typical incandescent 1156 bulb should put out about 400 lumens. So when looking for a replacement LED, make sure it puts out at least that much. If it doesn't specify lumen output for the LED, go elsewhere.

There are some blindingly bright LED 1156 bulbs that put out in excess of 600 lumens. That combined with the pure monochromatic light, appear much, much brighter than regular incandescent bulbs. That said, there are some really crappy Chinese LED bulbs out there that put out less than 100 lumens - some as little as 15!! From the looks of your picture, I suspect your LED might be one of those.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:51 pm

WingAdmin wrote:It really depends on the bulb. A lot of the cheap Chinese LED lights are...well, let's just say you get what you pay for.

A typical incandescent 1156 bulb should put out about 400 lumens. So when looking for a replacement LED, make sure it puts out at least that much. If it doesn't specify lumen output for the LED, go elsewhere.

There are some blindingly bright LED 1156 bulbs that put out in excess of 600 lumens. That combined with the pure monochromatic light, appear much, much brighter than regular incandescent bulbs. That said, there are some really crappy Chinese LED bulbs out there that put out less than 100 lumens - some as little as 15!! From the looks of your picture, I suspect your LED might be one of those.
ya, I looked over that ad in Ebay for all that info, thought I had a replacement winner.
The Ebay add claimed the LED was 850 Lumens.
1156 23 watt i-bulb is around 63 Lumens.

OH-well, it'll go on the trailer as mini "Coach Lights"? :D

"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

HuubvandeSande
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

Post by HuubvandeSande » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:52 pm

Heb pas bij bikersbest in Renswoude twee ledlampen gekocht. Ze geven prachtig wit en veel licht. Ik word, merk ik, sneller door automobilisten opgemerkt. Ik ben er zeer tevreden over deed lampen dier ik daar gekocht heb.

Huub

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:36 am

HuubvandeSande wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:52 pm
Heb pas bij bikersbest in Renswoude twee ledlampen gekocht. Ze geven prachtig wit en veel licht. Ik word, merk ik, sneller door automobilisten opgemerkt. Ik ben er zeer tevreden over deed lampen dier ik daar gekocht heb.

Huub
[ Only bought two led lamps in Renswoude for bikersbest. They give beautiful white and a lot of light. I notice, I notice faster by motorists. I am very pleased with the lamps I bought there. ]

URL?