• Sponsored Links
Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Big Blue Motorcycle Lift

Post by Rednaxs60 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:56 am

Was at the Toronto International Motorcycle Show this past January with the son-in-law. I bought a Big Blue Motorcycle lift. It was a toss up between a GPS or this lift, and you know now which won.

Put my Xmas gift to myself together this past weekend.

The lift is marketed as the safest lift going. Lift just over 1600 lbs. Raises the bike 26 inches off the floor. You use a mud drill - low RPM - to raise lower. Max speed is recommended at 800 RPM. I think my cordless on low speed will do.

Assembly is self-explanatory and intuitive. The company provided instructions and video.

The lift comes in two boxes and weighs in at 75 lbs.

Here is the lift assembled:

Here is my 1200 at full lift - no straps at this time, but I think prudent when wrenching:

Here are two underside pictures at full height:

I have placed the brackets so that these are under the front motor bolt and the centre stand.

I don't have room for a bike table, but do have the smaller floor lift:

This new lift is a good compromise between the table and smaller floor lift.

The bike is quite stable when raised on the lift. The movement sideways is minimal and will be non existent when straps are used. The bike still has a lot of weight hanging over each end and it does move fore and aft when raised, again this will be minimized when straps are used.

I read a report on webbikeworld: https://www.webbikeworld.com/bike-lift- ... ift-stand/ Good review, positive with some reservations regarding bike placement and the fact that a bike will move. Cautions against serious wrenching, and as such, I think safety supports are a prudent addition. You can always lower the bike to do the wrenching and raise it back up to a comfortable work height after the wrenching is done - easy to do with a drill. Used to use a safety support with the hoist at my father's garage back in the '60s. Put a vehicle up on the hoist and put the safety support under the hoist and lower the hoist onto it.

After reading this review from webbikeworld and seeing that the bike does move, it would be prudent to have safety supports under each end of the lift centre bracket. These brackets will also be good for leaving the bike lifted and on the lift for extended periods; however, I would tend to lower the bike to floor level as as safety precaution, don't want to tempt the fates. Will post pictures of the safety supports when I get them made.

Safety supports and prudent use of this lift will make this lift invaluable. I don't mend as well as I used to, and as such, I tend to err on the side of caution. A few extra minutes and a couple of extra dollars to make the work area safe for me is worth it.

Here is the web site: http://bigbluemotorcyclelift.com/

Cheers

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest