Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Madstad windshield Review

Post by AZgl1800 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:34 pm

https://madstad.com/collections/honda/p ... 00-2001-up
you can see different views of it here.

I installed this a couple weeks ago during very frigid weather.

Today, I rode about 400 miles in some very rough winds....

At first, when it was installed, I pulled it up to the maximum height as a starting point which made it about equal to the Optic Armor +4 that I took off. Rode that about 10 miles and it seemed about the same, except that it is two inches narrower on each side.... the wind catches my arms and elbows... there was no airflow in my face, and reaching up with my hand, there is about 3 inches of dead air before the airstream is felt above the helmet.

Today, I dropped it 4 inches when I first started out.... that put the top of the screen right at eye level, and that is a major PITA.... :evil: that was not going to stay....

at noon, after having lunch with the OkieArkie bunch over at Granny's Kitchen in Huntsville, AR....
I went across the street and fueled up.

While waiting for the gas tank to top up, I released the OEM height clamps, and shoved the bottom of the windshield all the way to the bottom.

Then I loosened the Madstad clamp screws and shoved the front windshield all the way to the bottom. that dropped the windshield about 7 inches, and put it about neck high for me..... I purposely did this to test out that the "Laminar Airflow" goes over you, even at the bottom, way below your chin.

Well, I am here to tell you, that Madstad's claim is valid.... even with it pushed all the way to the bottom, there is still 2 inches of dead air between my helmet and the air stream...

So, my report is I am Very Happy with it.....

This all came about because of our "new to us" Toy Hauler.... the Optic Armor +4 would not go up into the garage.... I was going to have to get out a saw and trim off a bunch of windshield.... and I did not like that idea.....

so, anyone want a nearly new Optic Armor +4 ? it still looks brand new, those things do NOT scratch.

So,
1) if you want below eyeline windshield and a clear view forward, get one.
2) the CrossWinds: With me sitting up vertical, the were hitting my upper body, and pushing the bike around a bit.... this was at 65 and 70 mph with the winds at my left rear quarter... I was going West, the winds were SSE

3) if I leaned down below the windshield, I got zero wind on my body, and the bike just stood up straight and ignored the crosswinds. Hmmm, I like that...

4) you can change the height and the angle on the fly without having to stop.... ( Madstand says this is not recommended ) I did not find it a problem.

I experimented with several different heights and Angle on the "front windshield" while riding in the 30-50 mph crosswinds and riding at 65 mph.....

If completely vertical with the bottom lip against the faring, it feels like the Tulsa Tall I used to have.... higher than my eyes, and the wind pushes you around.

If you tilt it backwards towards you, the bottom lip kicks out about two inches and the airflow will hit you right in the face.

So, you can have your cake and eat it too with the Madstad.

Which one to buy? They have 3 version, short, middle, tall for 6'4" tall guys....

I bought the middle one as I am 5'11"

This thing has so much adjustment room, I suggest you buy the one that Madstad recommends for your height.

The front windshield by itself has 5 inches of vertical adjustment room. the Lower, back mounting bracket windshield is what mounts to the Honda sliding support mechanism.... that will move at least 4 inches......
so, you can move this thing 9 inches vertically at least.

Last edited by AZgl1800 on Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~John

AZgl1800

Re: Madstad windshield Review

Post by AZgl1800 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:40 pm

oh, forgot to mention, that the bottom back piece is solid black... that will cover a few inches of visibility over the front fender and about 20 feet down the road. I did NOT find this a problem at all.

The two vertical braces, are flat black. At first, when it was mounted on the bike, I was ready to rip it off as "that crap is NOT going to stay on my bike".

Well, two things happened today.

1) That black lower part makes a Sunshade for the gauges... this was the first time that I was able to get a clear view of the panel without it being wiped out by sun glare.

2) Those two black vertical braces "disappeared" after about 300 miles of riding.....

that is a figment of how our eyes work, and exactly why drivers in cars and trucks do NOT see us on the highway.

Things that don't move, "disappear"... and our bikes if we drive in the same exact position on the lane, will "disappear" with the driver looking straight at you.

That is why, I move my bike from right lane edge to left lane edge... and sometimes, if the traffic is getting "antsy" I start swerving from lane edge to lane edge.... that gets their attention, and it has improved my "clearance" from the idiots.
~John

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:56 pm

Here is a video I took while riding in those crosswinds....
None too stable with me holding my cellphone, cruise was locked so did not have a hand on the right grip.

Give you an idea of the eyeline view for me.
Probably should not have done that while still in Arkansas, I thought I had a straight line road ahead...
nope, and those cross winds were rough...

[youtube]

[/YouTube]
~John

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: 1980 GL-1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL-1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL-1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:05 am

Hm, they have them for the GL-1200, GL-1800 and F6B, nothing for a GL-1500... :|
They say 98% of all Hardleys ever made are still on the road..... The other 2% made it home. :lol:
(I stole this from somebody on another GW site...) :roll:

Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE (20th Anniversary) and Squire RX4 sidecar

Post by Sidcar » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:13 am

How effective is it when it rains?

Sid

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:58 am

Sidcar wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:13 am
How effective is it when it rains?

Sid
I had a conversation with the engineer who designed it, he said that in a normal rain, not a downpour, that the slipstream will force all of the rain drops over your head..... and that would probably be good enough for me, as when a downpour starts, I stop.

But, if you "just had to" keep going, lift the two Honda windshield clamps and pull it up to the top and keep going.
If that is not enough, then loosen the two bracket clamp screws, and lift it up an additional 5 inches. But the drops on the windshield will keep you from seeing in front of you.

that will put it about 3 inches above my helmet. so it would produce the same "rain conditions" as the other windshields. maybe better, because the "Laminar Airflow" on this thing is very strong.

Personally?
I would not raise it, because the slipstream will push the rain drops over your head, and the lack of a piece of plastic in front of your eyes will allow you to see the ground, not just a bunch of rain drops on a windshield. This to me is a Safety Plus factor.

I might pull it up to just below my eyeline. Full protection from horizontal rain drops, and you can still see above the plexiglass.

with all of my prior windshields, 3 Tulsa Talls, and 1 Optic Armor, all of them 4 inches taller than my head... riding in the rain is a hazard.... the rain drops bead up on the windshield unless you use RainEx and then the water drops just slide up and over. Even so, those rain drops obscure the road ahead.

Just the one 400 mile trip so far with it, but I am thinking that riding in a "Light Drizzle" which is most of what I experience, will be much safer than before...
~John

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:00 pm

DenverWinger wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:05 am
Hm, they have them for the GL-1200, GL-1800 and F6B, nothing for a GL-1500... :|
I think that can be fixed, demand is what gets things on the market.
If you don't call them and ask for a GL1500 model, and no one does either, it won't be made.

There are more 1500s out there right now than anything else.

~John