Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Nelson-Rigg Backpack

Post by WingAdmin » Tue May 29, 2018 8:41 pm

This is a really cool little product that I picked up on a whim, but has actually come in quite handy.

How many times have you gone on a small trip with your bike, perhaps with some walking, shopping or hiking at one end of it - and realized you need some way of carrying...stuff? Be it gear, shoes, helmet, groceries, whatever. This little product is the answer.

It comes in its own little stuff sack, made of extremely tough, thick nylon, so it won't rip:

It's tiny - only 5 inches long, and easily held in one hand. It has a strap along one side, so you could slide it over your fingers:

Here's the product label:

The magic happens once you open it up. Release the pull cord, and the insides spew out - a backpack that is zipped up, inside out. The carrying pouch is permanently attached to the inside of the backpack.

Unzip one of the zippers, and turn the backpack right side out, therein putting its container on the inside:

Once right side out, you zip it up again. You now have a fully-functional backpack, capable of carrying an impressive amount of stuff!

The other side has two adjustable straps, and while wide, they are not padded - you do not want to be carrying 30 lbs of gear with this backpack, but it would be more than sufficient for carrying extra clothes, shopping, etc.

The backpack easily swallowed my full-face helmet:

And when zipped up with the helmet inside, there was still quite a bit of available space left over.

Putting it back in its sack, you reverse the process: turn it inside out and zip it up. At first I tried to roll/fold it and stuff it in, but this doesn't work. You have to use it as a true stuff sack: just cram the thing into the little sack any which way, and amazingly, it fits:

Once stuffed back in the tiny sack, you can carry it with you, hide it in your hand, tie it to a beltloop, etc.

Like I said, this is not going to replace a heavy-duty hiking backpack - but for occasional or "emergency" use, it definitely fits the bill, and the sack is so tiny, it would easily fit in the dashboard cubby of a Goldwing, with lots of space left over. At less than $20, it's a great deal!

https://www.amazon.com/Nelson-CB-PK30-B ... _3?ie=UTF8