Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

SoCalMotoGear Pathfinder GL1500 Position Light LEDs

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:24 pm

The position lights are the two small lights on either side of your GL1500's headlights. They are not intended to put out a lot of light, and are more for looks than anything else. Except...with the advent of LED technology, much brighter LEDs can be installed in these position lights, giving you added frontal visibility.

The Pathfinder LED lights from SoCalMotoGear put out the same amount of light as a 50 watt halogen bulb, while drawing only 8 watts.

I have had these LED bulbs in my GL1500 position lights for many years. They served their purpose - putting out light and filling out the position light area, but not really very brightly. It was time for a change.

These new bulbs have a set of eight SMD LEDs around the circumference, as well as a very high brightness LED facing out the front, under a lens.

My old LEDs put out a bluish-white light, but not what you would call anything close to blinding.

The Pathfinder LEDs put out an absolute blinding amount of pure, white light, that you cannot look directly into. They are very bright!

Looking at my headlight, my old LED is in the left position light, and the new Pathfinder LED is in the right position light. The color of the new LED matches my SoCalMotoGear Pathfinder LED headlights perfectly.

My only problem: when I first plugged the new bulbs into the socket, they flickered a bit when moved. I found I had to take the wires on the end and pull them out slightly to make them make better contact. Once I did this, they worked perfectly.

I'm very happy with these new lights - they've been on my "to do" list for a long time. While the shape of the position light reflectors doesn't focus the light down the road to illuminate the road ahead, they definitely provide visibility to other drivers on the road, and that's always a good thing.