Electrical Connection LED Headlight

Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
BENJEE2112
Motorcycle: 1995 1500i INTERSTATE
THE ONE STYLE "WITHOUT" REVERSE ((Danggit))

Re: Electrical Connection LED Headlight

Post by BENJEE2112 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:01 am

Lol. I actually did type 40,000 But that looked impossible. So I took a 0 off and figured you or someone wood add the 0 if that was correct. It worked. I took those Silverstar bulbs back to Autozone. Wasn't sure that they wood take them but they did. So props to them. After I rewire my harness, The 4 post connection from the headlight to the bike. not sure why it arced. Looks like the last owner was probing and it got shorted from thatI will test it with the cheap bulbs before I get the EC'S. Thanks for your input.

BENJEE2112

Post by BENJEE2112 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:08 am

Does anyone have any thoughts on using Dielectric grease on the headlight connections?

newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Post by newday777 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:21 am

Anytime, anywhere you use it, very very minimal amount. Don't gob it. Thin thin coat only.
BENJEE2112 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:08 am
Does anyone have any thoughts on using Dielectric grease on the headlight connections?

BENJEE2112

Post by BENJEE2112 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:17 am

Thanks Newday. Good to know. I guess I've been using too much in the past. It has worked but I will definitely be more careful with it. Like just a thin layer on the blades only.

BENJEE2112

Post by BENJEE2112 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:19 am

should I put it on soldered connections before the shrinkwrap?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:06 pm

BENJEE2112 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:19 am
should I put it on soldered connections before the shrinkwrap?
Not needed. Soldered joints by definition are safe from oxidation, because they are coated in solder - that's kind of the point behind soldering.

BENJEE2112

Post by BENJEE2112 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:35 am

Thanks Scott. I'm going to need to practice doing it again. Can't seem to get the hang of it. I'm using the solder with the flux in it, like I have seen people do on you tube. Doesn't seem to suck into and over the wires. I know there's a fine line between not hot enough and too hot. I have like 8 connections to do the re-wiring of the wire harness. Switching out the melted plugs and the 4/6 wire quick connect from the harness to the bike. Do you have Any tips and or tricks?

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:34 pm

I'm no expert, but when I do my best soldering it's because I clean the iron really well, and "tin" it by dipping it into a little can of tinning paste I got at Radio Shack. I use a dab of flux paste and I think it helps the heat flow from the iron into the braided wire, otherwise I don't get enough surface contact or pressure against the part to get the heat to move into all of the wires.
'03 GL1800A | Porsche 968 | Ford F-150 | Skidoo GSX (2) | Seadoo GTI (2) | Suzuki ATV (2)
A.A.O.N.M.S. | NRA Endowment | Gun Owners of America | Oath Keepers

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort

Post by MikeB » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:00 pm

The wire and any connector you are soldering to needs to be clean. If it is bright and shiny, it is most likely clean.
I have had good luck soldering the wires into connectors by putting a bit of Rosin Flux on the connection before applying heat and solder to the connection.

Here is a You Tube tutorial for basic soldering. You will see how this guy does it and I do it almost the same way. The only difference is that I apply a very small amount of flux to the wire before touching the hot iron to the connection to be soldered.

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

The iron, by the way, should always be wiped clean and a bit of solder applied to the tip. I use a tip cleaner to clean the tip but a slightly damp sponge or folded paper towel works well too. With the tip cleaner, all you need to do is poke the tip into the wire wool and retract it. The tip comes out nice and clean.

Once you touch the hot iron to the wire with the flux on it, the solder will wick immediately onto the wire. At that point you can add a bit more solder if necessary to achieve the connection you want.

After soldering, I will clean the connection with either CRC Electronic Parts Cleaner or denatured alcohol to remove excess flux.

Remember to put your heat shrink tubing on the wire before you splice the wires or attach the connector to the wire for soldering.

If you want to know where to get these items, just do a search for Rosin Flux in the Amazon search window, you will see all of these items come up as a result of the search.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:11 pm

There's nothing currently wrong with my stock lights and the added fog/drl lights I added in 2018. They are still working great. My wife said she was worried about other seeing me at night, when I'm riding home from work. She saw me one time in passing when she was heading in to work and I was a little late getting home. After that she said she wasn't worried as much and thought I lit up the road pretty well.

We do have a trip in the works for the Grand Canyon, north & south rims, and down to Phoenix to visit family early this fall. I'm considering a total light upgrade and revisiting this thread and Wingadmin's thoughts on the EC vs SoCal headlights. My fog lights are from SoCal and I'm happy with them. Although the beam pattern seems to be an issue for Wingadmin with the SoCal headlights he also mentions they are superior to the EC lights in a couple of ways, but doesn't mention how. Maybe I missed that.

One thing I noticed while browsing EC's site for lights is that I was unable to find a complete kit or even individual lights to upgrade all the rear lights with LEDs. I also might have missed it there, but SoCal has such a kit. I'm also considering changing out the turn signals in the side mirrors to the DRL/turn signals with those switchback LEDs. Both companies have this so I'll have to decide which I like better.

I don't suppose there would be any issues having some LEDs from EC and others from SoCal would there?

Wingadmin or anyone, if you see this would you kindly remind me what the SoCal headlight LEDs were superior at compared to the ECs? I still guess that you would go with the EC lights due to the beam pattern? Or was that only on the GL1500? I thought the beam pattern on the GL1800 was determined by the reflectors and had less to due with the light itself.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:47 am

I installed both the EC and the SoCal LED headlight units. The SoCal are much easier because the shim is attached. The loose shim ring on the EC is just one more thing to balance in the blind with your hand in the fairing. Performance wise, I haven't been able to tell the difference.

I really like the replacement directional lights with white daytime running lights and sequential amber directional and the lower cowl lights with white DRL, switched fogs and directionals.

I have not (yet) changed the stock rear bulbs to LED.

I did have some issues with the headlight modulator but I worked with Kisan and they changed their firmware to correct the fault.
2018 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas

BENJEE2112

Post by BENJEE2112 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:53 am

Thanks for the tips Guys. I think I'm going to get me one of those wire tip cleaners. Don't you just hate it when you finally get a good connection then realize..I didn't put the shrink wrap on first..DOPE!!!!
"SHINY SIDE UP"