USA road trip

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

USA road trip

Post by wingman12 » Wed May 09, 2018 12:00 pm

Not only am doing a trip of my life, I also decided to help as many veterans and their families as well. Any and all donations are accepted on my page on Facebook. NONE of this donations come to me in any way, shape or form. So far since may 1st I have driven thru 13 states. Currently in NJ close to Philadelphia. Heading south Thursday am for a few days in our capital.

jbaviera
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500A Aspencade
2009 Yamaha VStar 950 Tourer (traded for the GW)
1985 Honda VF500C (sold)

Re: USA road trip

Post by jbaviera » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:59 pm

Think I may have seen you passing me back in June in Columbus, OH, but a trailer like yours was being towed by a GL1800, not the 1500 in your photo.

Good Journey!
Making sawdust with 100% efficiency!

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Post by wingman12 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:12 pm

The 3 1/2 month road trip began may 1st and ended Aug 13th. It was great I did 17,780 miles door to door. I have heard that there are a few trailers similar to mine running around. You must have spotted a different one because in june I was in Oklahoma already. Happy trails and I wish you and yours a happy, healthy and prosperous new year.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:04 pm

I have mentioned this many times and expounded upon the benefits of using a PLB or a SPOT transponder.

Too many open miles are covered where cellphone coverage is impossible, and if no one sees you drift off the road, and you land in a ravine, and can't get up and walk to safety, you just may have a Life Threatening situation.

Please research and read all of the features of both of these systems.

I have the SPOT, and I have the offered Helicopter Life Flight insurance.
the Spot has 3 messages that you can use to alert your family ( not 911 )

1) Start of Day plus a short message: Start of day, if twice today I am resting/lunch/fuel

2) end of Day: Stopped for the day, all is well.

3) Bike down, no cell coverage, please call Good Sam for a Tow Truck to this location. I am okay, just need help. Good Sam 800.xxx.yyyy ( they won't have the number handy, so include it in the message )

4) Tracking Button: Please remember to press this before you leave..... you do this AFTER pressing Button #1 and then you receive that canned message on your cellphone: BEEP BEEP John has activated his Spot, please follow his tracks today.

each of those messages are blank as supplied by SPOT, it is up to you to fill in the blanks. I have shown you what I did.

Medical Profile:
Room for a very extensive profile for the "patient" as that is what you are now.

I have it filled in with everything that is important, prior concussions from a bad bike accident with a semi-truck. Medications, normal blood pressure, allergies, glasses worn? ( yours might be missing when they find you, if they see this, they will look for them ).
body weight, anything that might be of value to the 1st Responder when he finds you laying on the ground.

PLB or SPOT, keep it where you can push that 911 button if you fly off the bike...
I used to keep mine on the trunk until Scott, WingAdmin brought up the point of "what good is that if you can't crawl back to the bike and pass out before you can push that button?"

SPOT will track you, the PLB usually does NOT... it is offered as a higher priced subscription, but SPOT is cheaper for the same features.

SPOT's most expensive transponder can connect to your cellphone so you can sent out messages with it. I don't have that myself.

.which one to buy?
https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice ... acons.html

. One last item: Use a Lithium Battery, it is the only type that will work for more than a few hours. I get one years use out of my SPOT with Lithium batteries....

Alkalines last for 2 or 3 trips and are done.... but, when they get weak, they can't send to the satellites.... why take a chance? If you observe the SPOT on a PC, there is a check box for you to look at the battery's state.

it is only in use when I travel, I turn it off at the end of day.

~John