It is never to early to plan: 2019 GoldwingDocs Gathering

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
MiWinger51
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A Aspencade
2006 GL 1800 audio comfort navi
1972 CB500 four (sold long ago, too bad)

It is never to early to plan: 2019 GoldwingDocs Gathering

Post by MiWinger51 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:48 pm

It is never to early to start thinking about the 3rd Annual East Coast Gathering. BPM Jim, Bluethunder and myself have volunteered to put together a great ride for next year. The consensus reached last weekend was to plan next years gathering in the Maggie Valley or Little Switzerland areas of North Carolina. I would love to make a full week of it but understand others have limited time frame, We are looking for suggested rides from our fellow members. The plan for next year will be to have each days ride available in GPX format. The rides will be double checked for accuracy so that we don't experience a surprise like we had this year. If you plan to attend and have a suggested ride, post it here or send it via PM to any one of the planning committee. We will try to have more routes than we need so that the group can decide on which routes to ride. We also discussed riding in smaller groups as it is very difficult to keep 18-20 riders in a manageable formation. We could have 2- 3 groups heading out on the same ride at 10 minute intervals with planned stops for lunch. Feel free to make any and all suggestions.
Happy Trails

Live to Ride---Ride to Live
Al

thecruiser
Motorcycle: 2008 HONDA GW

Re: It is never to early to plan: 2019 GoldwingDocs Gathering

Post by thecruiser » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:56 pm

Al, Maggie Valley is certainly a great area to Ride in but personally I found the hotels to be a little on the high side. I don't know anything about Little Switzerland. In past years, I have stayed with groups in Robbinsville and Franklin, NC and was happy with the prices and certainly the area to Ride is fantastic.
The week of Oct 16th I'll be in Bryson City area of NC and wouldn't mind doin' some pokin' around to try to get a handle on next years prices.
If you can give me an approximate time frame and number of folks that might be expected, that would help. I understand it's just a wild-hair guess at the moment. This being a 'very buzy' time for the hotel business in Bryson City I was able to find nice hotel accommodations for just under $100/night INCLUDING taxes.
Usually the way it's worked for us in the past, the hotel will block off a set number of rooms for out group until 2-3 weeks before the date we plan to be there. That gives everyone time to make reservations in an area of the hotel where we might be grouped together. Once the 'holding date' is past, it's every man for himself.
Larry (thecruiser)

MiWinger51

Post by MiWinger51 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:21 pm

thecruiser wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:56 pm
Al, Maggie Valley is certainly a great area to Ride in but personally I found the hotels to be a little on the high side. I don't know anything about Little Switzerland. In past years, I have stayed with groups in Robbinsville and Franklin, NC and was happy with the prices and certainly the area to Ride is fantastic.
The week of Oct 16th I'll be in Bryson City area of NC and wouldn't mind doin' some pokin' around to try to get a handle on next years prices.
If you can give me an approximate time frame and number of folks that might be expected, that would help. I understand it's just a wild-hair guess at the moment. This being a 'very buzy' time for the hotel business in Bryson City I was able to find nice hotel accommodations for just under $100/night INCLUDING taxes.
Usually the way it's worked for us in the past, the hotel will block off a set number of rooms for out group until 2-3 weeks before the date we plan to be there. That gives everyone time to make reservations in an area of the hotel where we might be grouped together. Once the 'holding date' is past, it's every man for himself.
Larry (thecruiser)
Thanks Larry. It would be great for you to do some sleuthing for us. I will contact my other 2 compadres and try to settle on a date. Most likely it will be around the same time in September. I’ll send you a PM after a talk to Brian and Jim.
Al

DougEFresh1123
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda Magna VF750
1994 Honda Goldwing 1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:34 pm

I put a place holder in my 2019 calendar for the week of September 19th to the 26th. I am not familiar with the areas mentioned but we have good friends that always go camping down in Asheville NC which seems close to the Maggie Valley area mentioned and they love the area. They mention the great scenery and plenty of craft breweries for after the rides. Hopefully I can convince the wife to schedule a vacation for that week and we can join the ride and meet everyone.
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”
― Ronald Reagan

BlueThunder
Motorcycle: 2014 CTX1300 Deluxe (BlackThunder aka Predator)
1977 GL1000 (Ox)

Post by BlueThunder » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:14 pm

I definitely favour the Little Switzerland area as:

(1) it is pretty much centralized located on the Blue Ridge Parkway. We could one day go north towards Skyline Drive, go south towards Maggie Valley, or ride in the area. Because of this location, it allows different rides for the various days. Fuel and food are nearby.

(2) Hotels are readily nearby without costing an arm and leg. Hampton Inn (my personal favourite and one can't go wrong) are nearby.

(3) We could also stay at Little Switzerland Inn. They have plenty of room for us, are motorcycle friendly, has two restaurants on-site (both very good), a t-shirt/knickknack shop, a real estate office (for those that want to buy a home) and an ICE CREAM store!

(4) Route 206 and 206A rival the Dragon are within spitting distance of Little Switzerland.

As far as the dates, the second weekend after Labour Day seems to work out well.
_____
Brian

2014 Honda CTX1300 (BlackThunder aka Predator)
1977 Honda GL1000 (Ox)

DougEFresh1123
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda Magna VF750
1994 Honda Goldwing 1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:41 am

BlueThunder wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:14 pm
I definitely favour the Little Switzerland area as:

(1) it is pretty much centralized located on the Blue Ridge Parkway. We could one day go north towards Skyline Drive, go south towards Maggie Valley, or ride in the area. Because of this location, it allows different rides for the various days. Fuel and food are nearby.

(2) Hotels are readily nearby without costing an arm and leg. Hampton Inn (my personal favourite and one can't go wrong) are nearby.

(3) We could also stay at Little Switzerland Inn. They have plenty of room for us, are motorcycle friendly, has two restaurants on-site (both very good), a t-shirt/knickknack shop, a real estate office (for those that want to buy a home) and an ICE CREAM store!

(4) Route 206 and 206A rival the Dragon are within spitting distance of Little Switzerland.

As far as the dates, the second weekend after Labour Day seems to work out well.
and an ICE CREAM store! - You buried the lead! :lol: :D
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”
― Ronald Reagan

DETOUR22
Motorcycle: 2010 Goldwing, 2007 Kawasaki 900c

Post by DETOUR22 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:31 pm

Google Maps shows 20 breweries within riding distance of Little Switzerland. Just sayin...

BlueThunder
1977 GL1000 (Ox)

Post by BlueThunder » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:01 pm

I've already identified motels. Just gathering information to see if they could accomodate us. Will post shortly... most likely in a separate thread.
_____
Brian

1977 Honda GL1000 (Ox)

MiWinger51

Post by MiWinger51 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:44 am

BlueThunder wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:01 pm
I've already identified motels. Just gathering information to see if they could accomodate us. Will post shortly... most likely in a separate thread.
I think it best to have only one thread. We had 2 separate threads this year and some people got confused. BTW, when you have a hotel lined up let me know. I am looking to start creating routes. I think one day a ride to Maggie Valley would be great. It is only about an hour and a half from Little Switzerland. Larry brought up how nice the motorcycle museum was there. I will create a route for that destination as one to be considered by the group.
Al

BlueThunder
1977 GL1000 (Ox)

Post by BlueThunder » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:20 am

MiWinger51 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:44 am
BlueThunder wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:01 pm
I think it best to have only one thread. We had 2 separate threads this year and some people got confused. BTW, when you have a hotel lined up let me know. I am looking to start creating routes. I think one day a ride to Maggie Valley would be great. It is only about an hour and a half from Little Switzerland. Larry brought up how nice the motorcycle museum was there. I will create a route for that destination as one to be considered by the group.
Al, a route should be planned to include 226, 226A and Route 80. I agree that one thread be started to contain information, motel, attendees, etc.
This thread however, should not be it. Maggie Valley would be a nice day ride and culminate with a visit to the motorcycle museum.
_____
Brian

1977 Honda GL1000 (Ox)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:59 pm

I agree - let's have this one "planning" thread, and then once things are solidified, we can have the "announcement" thread that includes everything including hotel info. The two separate threads for this year did cause a lot of confusion for people.

thecruiser
Motorcycle: 2008 HONDA GW

Post by thecruiser » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:32 pm

Maggie Valley would be a nice day ride and culminate with a visit to the motorcycle museum.
Justa heads up,... Wheels Through Time Museum,... Ya just can't do it justice trying to see it at the 'end of the day'.
https://wheelsthroughtime.com/
Three or four hours, you'll still wanna come back. I personally have been there EIGHT TIMES and STILL go again when ever I'm in the area.
Dale Walksler (owner and curator) is always changing things around. Always new exhibits and different bikes out front. If Dale is around when you visit, (and quite often he IS) if he see's your interested he'll ask, "Wanna see the shop"? You can spend an hour in there easy. :P

Good Hondog
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate

Post by Good Hondog » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:54 am

It sounds like a great event you guys have started. Reviewing all the GoldwingDocs rides that have already happened, what were the highest posted speed limits everybody encountered as a group on the official rides? Do you typically stay off the Interstate highways on the planned routes?

BlueThunder
1977 GL1000 (Ox)

Post by BlueThunder » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:29 pm

Good Hondog wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:54 am
It sounds like a great event you guys have started. Reviewing all the GoldwingDocs rides that have already happened, what were the highest posted speed limits everybody encountered as a group on the official rides? Do you typically stay off the Interstate highways on the planned routes?
With each ride, we learn something new so each subsequent ride is better. Our planned routes stay off the Interstate as much as possible. There are more interesting things to see on the backgrounds (secondary) roads. Like this:

_____
Brian

1977 Honda GL1000 (Ox)