west coast

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
jimm4
Motorcycle: 2003gl1800

west coast

Post by jimm4 »

am wanting to ride from knox tenn to west coast see sights all back roads [not interstates] wifes yahama gets about 150 to 170 a tank any advice on gas ? plan on couple gallons in trailor i get about 200 t0 220 pullin trailor just trying to stay out of trouble our first time past ok city this also my first post love this website !!! noticed my profile has 1982 gl1100 i riding 1800 n0w

kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Re: west coast

Post by kwthom »

If you're staying away from Interstates, you may or may not have issues with fuel availability. Simply because you'll be going thru 400 small towns along the way. :lol:

You're obviously planning this route, taking into consideration there will be stretches of road - particularly in Nevada - where you have NO gas for ~160 miles! Some distances in the Mojave Desert will also have 100+ miles between fuel stops - and Interstates may be the best way to get between some of these locations. So, I guess some time in front of a computer with Google Maps might help you zero in on routes...primary (off-Interstate) routes as well as Interstate ones.

Why? In the event of crappy weather, Interstates seen to hold up a LOT better than some of the older highways. Yeah, even if you're speed limited to 60 or 70 MPH.

Knoxville? A dear family friend lives in the region...went back there in 2018. Three days of 600/day to get there; then we had fun for a week-plus in adjacent states before heading back to the cactus patch.

I suspect you're looking at five days from there to California Highway 1, for example. Maybe like this:

https://goo.gl/maps/3cGGGicrq8RsnMhm6

Yeah, all on I-40 - your job is to find that alternate route that's parallel to that road!

Pro-Tip: I routed you to Ventura, CA. There is some stuff south of there, but you really don't want to go south of Santa Monica, CA (the I-10/CA-1 intersection). From this point south, it's very heavily traveled urban beach route until you *have* to get onto I-5 to traverse the Marine Corps base there at Oceanside, CA) From Ventura, a short amount of US-101, then head onto CA-1 from there. During the summer, there's a *lot* of travelers; room reservations in advance, especially in the smaller communities, may be helpful.

So, I guess the advice I'd have (a) Never pass an open Gas station if she's below 1/2 tank.... (b) consider an auxiliary fuel tank setup on -her- bike to better match fuel range that you have.

Base route...again, you have to massage this route:

https://goo.gl/maps/DHGhUmphgpcTms7e6

Hope this is helpful...
jimm4

Post by jimm4 »

thanks for the response havent planned anything yet --not in great hurry sightseeing so off interstates just herd horror stories about gas would like to land around la then north for a ways then back eastward we just enjoy seinic roads thanks for reply i will look at links you send
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

I would plan the fuel stops around the wife's Yamaha.
that will be about 2 hours minimum anyway, and if you are wanting to stay off the slabs, your average speed will be about 50 mph.

so, 2 hour minimum and 3 hours max between possible fuel stops.
I have found on average in Oklahoma, Arkansas, that you can find gas at 30 to 40 mile intervals usually on the byways. Lived in Mesa, AZ for 20 years, loved travelling all over Arizona.

I lived in ABQ for 10 years, and my job entailed travelling all over the NW quadrant of New Mexico. If you use the Navajo roads in between Farmington and south a bit, you can discover some extremely neat places. I have found museums that aren't advertised all that well. I have found little Anasazi Indian homes dug into the sides of canyon walls, beautiful, and I took lots of pictures back then, all on 35mm film... all of it lost to time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Pueblo_Peoples

Neat little stores made up of poles and mud mixtures. Some of those places are very modern, others have not been updated for 50 years. You will want to pull a trailer behind the 1500 and carry a couple of 2 gallon Leak Proof Jerry cans for gasoline. I guarantee you will find a need for at least one of those cans before the trip is completed.

Lived in the Dumas/Borger, Texas area for 10 years also. Fuel can be found at 50-75 mile intervals on the whole, but on a few roads it can be more like 100 miles. I recall a sign somewhere out there, "No gas for 175 miles"... if you see that sign, and you have not filled up in the last hour, you better turn around and get gas.

I made that little mistake once on the highway between San Antonio, TX and El Paso, TX.
I was very tired, more hours in the day than I should have been pushing, and I rode right by a gas station and did not stop to fill up, that at a point where the tank might have had maybe 1 or 2 gallons left in it.... I was rum dum dumb, and nearly asleep.

No spare gas that trip, I chanced onto a little tiny building with 1 gas pump, 87 octane, take it or leave it. That 1500 took 5.9+ gallons of gas IIRC, this was 20 years ago.... I just remember thinking that there could not have been more than 0.2 gallons of gas left in the tank.

Carry a bag of Austin crackers with you, Peanut Butter/Cheese/...... that and some water can make the difference if you are getting faint from lack of food. I carry little cans of Beanie Weiners/ Saugages / Pork 'n Beans.... again, makes for a nice little snack on a road side bench w/o trees or gas. And they don't have to be refrigerated.

Carry a good sized Anker cellphone charger with you.... makes life more fun at road side park benches, you can use your cellphone to gossip on social media w/o worrying about it going dead for lack of recharging. My Anker is the 26,500 mA rated one. It will recharge a phone at least 6 times before it is done.

I made it a practice to just plug the Anker into the phone every time I stopped, and it sipped off the big Anker while I used the cellphone... kept it topped off that way.

Paper maps can be down right handy, get a BIG Rand McNally trucker's road map to take with you. the little dinky things you find at the tourist traps are useless.....

My last recommendation is one you can't afford to skip.
Get a SPOT or a DeLorme InReach GPS transponder.
the one from DeLorme has activation rates of 1 month at a time.

SPOT is a 1 year subscription.....
BTW, SPOT is offering 50% off right now thru the 30th of December 2019.
I am going to renew mine right now as soon as I get off here.

If you or the wife gets injured, and cellphones can't find a signal, that SPOT or DeLorme will pay for itself the first time you toggle that big red 9-1-1 button.... the 1st Responders will be alerted to your call within 5 minutes and on their way, with your specific location right down to a 30 foot circle. You just can't afford to NOT have a 911 transponder these days.....

You can be within a cellphone signal area, but laying in a ditch and your phone won't work.
Or, you might not be able to talk, or you probably don't know exactly where you are.

If your head gets clobbered, all you know is, you hurt, and you hurt bad....
the 911 dispatcher asks "where are you?" and you don't know"
SPOT / DeLorme sends the GPS location when you touch that 911 button.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc
jimm4

Post by jimm4 »

thanks for the info. very informative and helpful.am planning on couple gallons in trailor behind my now 1800. ok city farthest west iv been so west will be the chalenge so thanks again
kwthom

Post by kwthom »

jimm4 wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:42 pm thanks for the response havent planned anything yet --not in great hurry sightseeing so off interstates just herd horror stories about gas would like to land around la then north for a ways then back eastward we just enjoy seinic roads thanks for reply i will look at links you send
Okay...here's a portion of the route, provided to help you avoid the traffic of Southern California. Again, I'm routing away from LA. Been there, done that on two wheels. If you're not planning to ride as the locals do, then my advice for avoiding the area is strongly recommended.

https://goo.gl/maps/H1uMeLWJqYdNvQFC8

'horror stories about gas'. No, no stories, simply facts about gas availability in the Golden State.

My last 'tour' of California was done back in July of 2008. This was when fuel prices were at their highest in a really long time. I'm at this little hole-in-the-wall gas station in the middle of rural Central California. I'm paying $5/gallon for gas. I hand the clerk a $20 bill...and I didn't get change! I had to give him another $10 to finish filling. That time, I got change back! :shock: Yeah, back then, there were still places that didn't have access to [credit|ATM] card reading equipment.

I can guarantee you that you WILL pay that (or more...) as you are along California Highway 1 (CA-1), in Big Sur, for example.

So, that last link in my previous post might be a good starting point. As I wrote before, there will be segments of this trip you simply might want to consider staying on Interstates, due to the problems of fuel availability...and possibly lodging opportunities.

Have fun planning that trip!
• "If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so nobody can!" ● Wait...I no longer have to fix it - I'm retired! :lol: ● Ken (IBA#50030) ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● My blog
jimm4

Post by jimm4 »

Was figureing on along interstate route as you say lodging and gas but will figure on some side trips to sight see .Already got wife on plan mode she a lot better at it than me.I pick roads and go -- use my truckers atlas faithfully when out.
AZgl1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

I like to stay in hotel/motels that have a breakfast buffet.
The slight bit of extra cost is far out weighed by the fact that you save a full hour, if not more, trying to find a good breakfast spot, and rarely do you buy more than what a good buffet has to offer.

So, $95-$110 for double occupancy, minus $20 for breakfast nets $75+ for the room.
I am awake by 5 usually, the buffet is ready by 0600, and I can be on the road by 7 at the latest.

I like to end my travels by 3 PM and checking into a hotel again.
In the greater Southwest you will be meeting up with temps in the high 90s* and ready for a nice shower.

In Arizona and southern California, I have endured 110-120 degree temps, and I am off the road by 2 PM.
That is all I can handle any more at my youthful age of 78.

Plan your tour to find a base camp hotel, go see the sights, and get back to the hotel, or another one by 3 PM.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc
jimm4

Post by jimm4 »

Great advice thanks .Itoo a morning person but wife not so much will try to get trained .We dont camp so her job is rooms.
kwthom

Post by kwthom »

If your wife - and you - have a few minutes, I wrote this article on trip planning that might be helpful:

Trip of a Lifetime Planning

That lodging dilemma... :geek:

There's two ways to attack that problem.

(1) Pick a corporation, sign up for their rewards program, stay with them. You get your choice of pricing levels, and with a smart-phone or a computer, getting a reservation is easy. After so many stays, you'll get enough points to pay for a room or two. Unfortunately, it can take a few weeks before you can use the points, so the points you get may be useful on your next trip. I use the Wyndham chain (La Quinta Inns & Suites, Wingate, Wyndham Garden, AmericInn, Ramada, Ramada Encore, Baymont, Microtel Inn & Suites, Days Inn, Super 8, Howard Johnson, Travelodge, Hawthorn Suites and others) which covers most everywhere I've been in a dozen years of touring.

(2) Decide your lodging will be 'mom-and-pop' type places. There's times you can find a really nice place, there's times you can...be surprised :shock: it's all part of the selection process. This involves a bit of research time on-line and effort to not only find them, but to occasionally call to make a reservation. Sometimes places are just so small that it's simpler to call. This ties you down on your itinerary, though.
• "If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so nobody can!" ● Wait...I no longer have to fix it - I'm retired! :lol: ● Ken (IBA#50030) ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● My blog
Alan_Hepburn
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

Post by Alan_Hepburn »

kwthom wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:25 am I can guarantee you that you WILL pay that (or more...) as you are along California Highway 1 (CA-1), in Big Sur, for example.
My wife and I toured the northern half of Hwy 1 about 2 years ago - from San Francisco up to Legget and back. Back then gas was selling for around $3.75 or so in most places - except for the little village of Mendocino: the only station in town wanted $6.15 per gallon! Fortunately Ft Bragg is just a stone's throw north, where gas was much more reasonable!
Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar
kwthom

Post by kwthom »

Thanks for the update.

Most riders may not be cognizant of where there is more reasonable fuel prices while out on a ride like this. That's what sharing these stories help to do.
jimm4

Post by jimm4 »

this is reason i put this up . ive read and lookeded at all links it has been really helpful. wife jumped all over ride plan link . when you have never done this long of a treck it helps!! thanks a million
C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub »

kwthom wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:54 am (1) Pick a corporation, sign up for their rewards program, stay with them. You get your choice of pricing levels, and with a smart-phone or a computer, getting a reservation is easy. After so many stays, you'll get enough points to pay for a room or two. Unfortunately, it can take a few weeks before you can use the points, so the points you get may be useful on your next trip. I use the Wyndham chain (La Quinta Inns & Suites, Wingate, Wyndham Garden, AmericInn, Ramada, Ramada Encore, Baymont, Microtel Inn & Suites, Days Inn, Super 8, Howard Johnson, Travelodge, Hawthorn Suites and others) which covers most everywhere I've been in a dozen years of touring.
This is an outstanding idea and thank you for the tip!

My wife and I are soon to be taking longer trips (within the next 8-24 months) and we haven't figured out the lodging issue yet.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargeant Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
Patriot Guard Rider
kwthom

Post by kwthom »

@jimm4 @C-dub Can't take credit for either of those ideas; they were passed on to me when I started doing this a dozen years ago. That trip-planning article was just explaining it a bit better (pictures can sometimes be better than words...).

I'll add one more link to peruse...

This is courtesy of the Iron Butt Association. Now, you're not riding an Iron Butt-style ride; I get that. However, there are plenty of useful tips available to consider even for touring-style riding.

25 Long-Distance Riding Tips
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

jimm4 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:27 pm noticed my profile has 1982 gl1100 i riding 1800 n0w
You can change your profile to show the GL1800 by clicking here: ucp.php?i=164
kwthom

Post by kwthom »

C-dub wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:18 pmMy wife and I are soon to be taking longer trips (within the next 8-24 months) and we haven't figured out the lodging issue yet.
So...only if you're NOT doing the couch-surfing/staying with friends-and-family...

In my working days, I'd accumulate points from some of the more business-traveler-friendly chains (InterContinental Hotels Group [IHG]) and others. Made for a couple of nice(r) stays along the way, but mainly stayed in places *I* could afford. :lol:
jimm4

Post by jimm4 »

clean and no carry out critters our priority and as cheep as possible!!. hope plenty of options along way we hope
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

troussos
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500SE

Post by troussos »

Wow! LOTS of helpful info here!!
Thanks for posting. I am planning a trip from Erie, PA to Seattle, WA around mid-June. I was contemplating buying a used escapade or cycle mate trailer, but my son-in-law in Seattle is trying to talk me out of it to save me the money, saying all my needs will be met on the road and I should put my money there. Thoughts?
Enjoy the day!
jimm4

Post by jimm4 »

have tried going just packin on bike made it ok. i have a bushtec trailor that ive pulled on couple trips and wont go on long trip without it !!! easy to pull and storage for both our things!!
troussos
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500SE

Post by troussos »

Ok. Good to know when riding 2 up, but how about riding solo?
Enjoy the day!
Sharon2665
Motorcycle: 2004 Goldwing 1800 w/ Razor trike kit

Post by Sharon2665 »

Not sure how long you are taking for the ride but once you get far enough west d recommend getting on the old Rt 66. Get Jerry McClannahans EZ Route 66 Guide. He gives you the original off highway route to follow with turn by turn directions. Tells you things to stop and see and there are plenty of gas stations on the route. There is another book that goes along with it, I don’t recall the name, but it has original Rt 66 hotels and restaurants to try. We stayed in many of the hotels and they were mostly under $60 a night. Some were remodeled and some were a little rough and worn but all were basically okay. The restaurants were great and relatively cheap. Now Rt 66 takes you right through Los Angeles, which did not thrill me, but glad I did it. You can always just go south.
My GW Trike got the lowest mileage at about 150 mi where I would need gas real soon. Never came close to not finding a place. Stations were scarcer in California and really expensive but there. Take your time is my biggest recommendation. There are so many great things to see out that way that you don’t want to rush it. Have fun and post pictures.
AZgl1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

Rt 66 goes right by my home, lots of nice restaurants to visit along here.

In Claremore, OK, if you have an interest in guns, is the Worlds Largest Privately Owned gun museum.

https://www.thegunmuseum.com/

http://visitclaremore.org/196/The-Gun-Museum

If you get to Claremore, I will shoot you if you don't give me a call and let's get together, okay?

918.613.95....................three.................oh

https://www.guns.com/news/2018/12/03/hu ... uns-photos
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc
MJSantos
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I
1983 GL1100 Custom
2002 Shadow
1983 Honda Magna V45

Post by MJSantos »

Check out this program for planning ,trips.furkot.com/?hl=en-US,
I have used this a lot for our trips. There's all kinds of variables that can be loaded and it will plan your route and add stops for you. Then the stops can be clicked on and will show you what hotels and other facilities are available. There a companion app for IPhones called Scenic that imports this trip into it directly.