west coast

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Re: west coast

Post by kwthom » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:33 pm

troussos wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:33 am
<...>I was contemplating buying a used escapade or cycle mate trailer, but my son-in-law in Seattle is trying to talk me out of it to save me the money, saying all my needs will be met on the road and I should put my money there. Thoughts?
Remember, if your bike doesn't have one, you'll need a hitch and wiring to tow a trailer. Some (like me) realize a tail-bag (on the trailer hitch), along with the saddle bags work.
troussos wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:48 am
Ok. Good to know when riding 2 up, but how about riding solo?
So, not necessarily on-topic for the original poster's question, but for someone that's one-up?

Search for "seat bag" or "tail bag" and begin searching for something that might be useful. This is strapped to the rear seat area; used in conjunction with saddlebag space.

I did a week-long ride with only the items I had in the two saddle-bags and trunk.

Find my earlier post and find the link for 'trip of a lifetime' planning.

Last edited by kwthom on Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• "If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so nobody can!" ● Wait...I no longer have to fix it - I'm retired! :lol: ● Ken (IBA#50030) ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● My blog

jimm4
Motorcycle: 2003gl1800

Post by jimm4 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:20 pm

kind of depends on each riders needs and wants i could do on bike but wife always with me even though on her own ride just takes more stuff and it dry.

jimm4

Post by jimm4 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:22 pm

we done week trip on bike 2 up she great packer ---i had to stand back when open sides get knocked down LOL.

pidjones
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800A
1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine (project)

Post by pidjones » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:47 pm

The wife and I took US 70 (Kingston Pike) from Rockwood to the end of it in Globe, AZ this last May. We then went up back roads to Williams and stayed at the Grand Canyon Railroad Hotel, rode the train, and came back. I was conservative, but never had any worries about fuel. Had to travel probably 50 miles total on interstates (I-55 crossing the Mississippi from Memphis, I-30 from Little Rock to Hot Springs exit and some I-10 in NM) because US70 is co-routed on the interstates in places. It really didn't bother me. BTW, US70 is Broadway in Nashville. We went through on a week day at around lunchtime. I think my foot touched the ground twice the whole way through. Memphis was not much worse, but they have a lot of screwy roads. Little Rock would probably not have been bad if a) it wasn't evening rush-hour and b) it wasn't pouring rain.

US70 through Arkansas was actually a little boring as was US 70 in Texas (75 MPH two-lane shot-and-chipped was a bit butt-clenching, however). US70 in NM became better as we went along, from cow shipping center on through Roswell and the White Sands area (breathtaking appearing on the horizon as a field of snow). We came back via US60 and it was interesting in NM (mountains on the horizons), Texas (wind farms), and Oklahoma (wind farms, oil and fracking wells mixed with agriculture) but not so hot in Missouri (flat, dust blowing, mega-farms with poor soil management mixed with urban sprawl).

None of it risked fuel issues on the '06 1800 (now with 121k miles) 2-up pulling a Uni-Go trailer. Oh, the trailer - great to be able to roll it into your room as luggage. We only carried rain gear and such in the saddlebags. But! Once the trailer is packed, go back through everything in it and remove at least half and leave that at home with someone that can ship it to you if really, really needed. Honest, the wife had several pairs of jeans in the bottom of the Uni-Go that never got unpacked. She took 5X what was needed and I took 2X. Even with everything we were wearing soaked by the second night's arrival in Hot Springs, we were able to use the hotel laundry to wash and dry most all of our clothing and hang the gear over the room register. Soggy boots were the only issue the next morning.

Apply heavy waterproofing to your footwear to protect the leather! Ours ended up ruined by the end of the trip because I had neglected this.

As we were riding down one of the lonely deserted stretches of US70 in New Mexico, not having seen another soul for tens of miles, I was so glad we were on a GoldWing!

kwthom

Post by kwthom » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:50 pm

jimm4 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:22 pm
we done week trip on bike 2 up she great packer ---i had to stand back when open sides get knocked down LOL.
The last few trips...also two-up, just the saddlebags & a Rivco rack with a bag on it:

(note: shown on a Harley trike, but same concept:)

One saddlebag had her stuff; one saddlebag had toolkit/compressor and our rain gear/heated gear storage.

The rack bag had my stuff, along with assorted other things...and a wee bit of room to bring stuff home.
• "If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so nobody can!" ● Wait...I no longer have to fix it - I'm retired! :lol: ● Ken (IBA#50030) ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● My blog

jimm4

Post by jimm4 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:08 pm

we rode 70 from lenoir city to hot springs then took i think 270 to right below ok city last may it nice ride in ok droped down rode 70 back east then down through texas and just look at map varouis rodes south to back home ---70 good road but like you say boring in ok . thinking of it then 66 out restof way not plan return.

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:25 pm

kwthom wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:33 pm

Search for "seat bag" or "tail bag" and begin searching for something that might be useful. This is strapped to the rear seat area; used in conjunction with saddlebag space.

I did a week-long ride with only the items I had in the two saddle-bags and trunk.

Find my earlier post and find the link for 'trip of a lifetime' planning.
You might be talking about something like this.
https://www.vikingbags.com/large-black- ... DIQAvD_BwE

or this:
https://www.jpcycles.com/product/802-19 ... k-seat-bag

There looks to be a few different models by Saddlemen.

I was thinking about something like this myself, but so far have not needed the extra space when solo and haven't gotten anything like it yet.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

troussos
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500SE

Post by troussos » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:15 am

That is an idea worth considering.
Last edited by troussos on Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoy the day!

jimm4

Post by jimm4 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:19 pm

how is the condition of the old rt66 west of ok

kwthom

Post by kwthom » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:44 pm

jimm4 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:19 pm
how is the condition of the old rt66 west of ok
The longest contiguous stretch of what used to be US-66 is in AZ.

Start reading here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_66

...then...

here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_66_in_Arizona

There are other web pages that go into extreme detail on the various alignments the route has had over the decades.

Looking for stuff like this?

https://www.theroute-66.com/arizona.html

Have fun!

jimm4

Post by jimm4 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:20 pm

lot of info thanks. havent read this much since school in 60,s

kwthom

Post by kwthom » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:42 pm

The TL;DR version of jimm4's answer (condition of 66 west of OK) is...

In many places, it no longer exists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_66#Decline

"In some cases, such as many areas in Illinois, the new Interstate Highway not only paralleled the old US 66, it actually used much of the same roadway. A typical approach was to build one new set of lanes, then move one direction of traffic to it, while retaining the original road for traffic flowing in the opposite direction. Then a second set of lanes for traffic flowing in the other direction would be constructed, finally followed by abandoning the other old set of lanes or converting them into a frontage road."

Eastern sections on I-40 in AZ were built this way as well. You can look at maps from the 30's and 40's and compare it to the route today; alignment is dead-on.

"In New Mexico, as in most other states, rural sections of I-40 were to be constructed first with bypasses around cities to come later. However, some business and civic leaders in cities along US 66 were completely opposed to bypassing fearing loss of business and tax revenues."

Thus, if you're looking for the roadside attractions near some of the smaller (and larger...) communities, some of them still exist in one form or another.

Albuquerque, NM is a prime example. Remember this scene from an old Bugs Bunny cartoon?

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

The line is based on an odd alignment of US-66 through the city. Many travelers would be 'misplaced' (never lost...) due to poor maps and less-than-adequate signs.

Now, again, don't get me wrong - plenty to see and experience along the old road. At some point in the journey, it turns into a time drain. Might be a consideration in your planning to choose only a few of the places close to home, while time is spent at those places farther away. After all, from TN to OK, it's only a couple of days to get there; more time could be spent on future travels in the region.

jimm4

Post by jimm4 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:37 pm

so what about 60 is it pretty smooth as some say 70 little rough pavement just trying to avoid interstates and see some sites but would like good roads too

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:26 pm

60 is pretty decent thru Oklahoma and Arkansas...
a bit slow though as most off grid roads are
~John
What is the Forum Index?
http://bit.ly/2GnjbzV

Download it here:
http://bit.ly/2SLDNqF

troussos
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500SE

Post by troussos » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:07 pm

What about the route west of Cleveland to Seattle around mid June? Stay I-90 the whole way?
Enjoy the day!

kwthom

Post by kwthom » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:26 am

troussos wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:33 am
Thanks for posting. I am planning a trip from Erie, PA to Seattle, WA around mid-June. <...>
troussos wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:07 pm
What about the route west of Cleveland to Seattle around mid June? Stay I-90 the whole way?
Somewhat alluded to earlier in the thread - we don't have any idea on YOUR timeline, what you'd like to see, what you have already seen, your ride experiences, etc. In post #10 of this thread, I put a link to an article I wrote and have posted on my blog specifically about trip planning. Suggest taking a few minutes to review, if you've not done so already.

The gist of it comes down to if I-90 suits the way you travel, then that's probably the road to take. If not, then there's a LOT of country between PA to WA to ride thru, isn't there? I've done the length of Montana (along I-90 & I-94) in most of a very long August day a couple years ago. Beautiful area, but in my case, my ride was my destination.

A 2500 mile (one-way) road trip; it can be done in 3 days, it can be done in 6 days. At $150 - $200/day for trip expenses (lodging, food, fuel) this can also be a trip plan puzzle piece to plan for as well.