Western States "Bucket Ride"

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
TheFalcro
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda GoldWing GL1100 40k miles newest addition to the barn runs but needs love, 1986 Kawasaki Voyager 1300A 34k miles Absolute basket case but it's all there, 2005 Suzuki S50 Boulevard (VT800) 2k miles this is my current rider, rescued from a dusty garage and gummed up carbs ...... carbs rebuilt..... runs like a clock

Western States "Bucket Ride"

Post by TheFalcro »

Have a sit and hear my tale.

I am an NOR (new old rider) I will be trying to get as much seat time as I can this fall and even winter if it's dry. This is in preparation for my upcoming adventure. I plan to go on a 15 day tour of the western half ish of the US. I will leave from Tigard OR and head east across Idaho, Montana, North and South Dakota a corner of Nebraska and through Colorado into Aroizona, Nevada, California and finally back to home in Tigard. I plan to vlog this trip as it is something on my bucket list, as indicated by my super secret title.

I will post Pictures of what I am doing and links to videos on my YouTube channel here in this thread. So if you want to follow my triumphs and failures feel free to folllow this sub. For now this will be mostly pictures and text describing my plans. The videos will come later through the winter of my prep and planning. I am excited and terrified at the same time follow along if you want a laugh or ten I will show my failures so there will be plenty of funnies.

Life is not a journey to the grave arriving in a well preserved and perfect body, but rather to skid in sideways,used up, in a cloud of smoke, totally worn out, and screaming what a ride! (H.S. Thompson) Remember to keep the shiny side on top.
TheFalcro
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda GoldWing GL1100 40k miles newest addition to the barn runs but needs love, 1986 Kawasaki Voyager 1300A 34k miles Absolute basket case but it's all there, 2005 Suzuki S50 Boulevard (VT800) 2k miles this is my current rider, rescued from a dusty garage and gummed up carbs ...... carbs rebuilt..... runs like a clock

Re: Western States "Bucket Ride" The story

Post by TheFalcro »

This is the beginning of my story and there is much to come and tell you all about in the near future.

In February I was given a 1986 Kawasaki Voyager 1300A. It had been sitting outside and uncovered for 24 years. it only has 35k on it I am the second owner. All of the plastics need love the fairing is beginning to crack in many areas. The trunk and saddlebags are in ok shape but need love where the hardware has wallowed out the through holes. The fuel that was in the tank was 24 years old and man did it smell bad.. The tank is rusty and all the fluids are junk. This will be a two year project easily. It is now into late march and spring is sprunging, I still want to ride, so I start to look for 700cc and larger scooters I found a candidate within a week.

The new desire of my heart was a 2005 Suzuki S50 Boulevard (VT800) this scooter is the last of the Intruder that started around 2000. I made an appointment with the PO and I knew as soon as he pulled into the parking lot this scooter was going to be mine. His asking price was fair $2600 and the scooter only had 2000 miles on it, as we chatted he told me that the scooter was a hard start when cold but ran well once warmed up. Can you guess what is wrong with it and why it was a hard start when cold..... Ha Ha you guessed it those carbs were gummed up and not happy at idle even with the choke on. As foreshadowed earlier I bought the scooter and he brought it home. I took it for a short ride the next day, it did run out nice when warmed up. I did not feel like rebuilding the carbs so I paid Suzuki to do it $496 later it had new fuel, new spark plugs and rebuilt carbs. He runs like a clock. Here is a picture of Flint. He is my rider for now. The next installment will be the story of the Honda GoldWing GL1100. How I got it, what it needs and my plans for her future. It is the most recent addition to the barn but it has the most to tell at this point in time. Please check back in a couple days or better yet sub to this thread and get notified when I post new info, pictures and links to my YouTube videos.

Hello my name is Flint
Hello my name is Flint

Life is not a journey to the grave arriving in a well preserved and perfect body, but rather to skid in sideways,used up, in a cloud of smoke, totally worn out, and screaming what a ride! (H.S. Thompson) Remember to keep the shiny side on top.
kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Re: Western States "Bucket Ride"

Post by kwthom »

I'll point to something that I had written about a while ago on ride planning.

It might be useful - once you get your steed up and running!

https://kwthom.blogspot.com/p/tour-of-l ... nning.html
• "If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so nobody can!" ● Wait...I no longer have to fix it - I'm retired! :lol: ● Ken (IBA#50030) ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● My blog
TheFalcro

Post by TheFalcro »

kwthom wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:58 am I'll point to something that I had written about a while ago on ride planning.

It might be useful - once you get your steed up and running!

https://kwthom.blogspot.com/p/tour-of-l ... nning.html
Thank you very much. I have an idea of where I want to go and what I want to see. However more info is always better. The GoldWing is nearly finished timing belts, coolant, oil change and air cleaner replaced. Valves adjusted. It runs like a clock and I haven't synced the carbs yet. Tried to take her out on a shakedown run last week but found that the rear master cylinder and caliper were seized, too bad the previous owner didn't flush the brake fluid regularly.... so am now waiting for the replacement to arrive. Then she'll she get first pavement in 4 years. I'm excited. Last year I bought a large US road map and put it on my wall. It has now had 50 destination pins in it and many others that denote routes that will get me to those destinations. I'm going to go through Lolo pass and into Montana late this summer to a scooter rally in August. The spring and early summer rides will be mostly local roads and parking lot practice. I need to learn how this girl is going to handle before I go too far. Seat time and practice is the primary goal for now.
jimm4
Motorcycle: 2003gl1800

Post by jimm4 »

Would like a little info on your wall map. Does it have a lot of hwy,s on it other than interstates i feel like something like that would be easier to map routes than a atlas book for me. [old school]
kwthom

Post by kwthom »

jimm4 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:03 pm Would like a little info on your wall map. Does it have a lot of hwy,s on it other than interstates i feel like something like that would be easier to map routes than a atlas book for me. [old school]
Not the OP, but might have a suitable answer.

Many may be familiar with National Geographic and the maps they have featured for decades:

https://www.natgeomaps.com/re-united-st ... oster-size

Rand McNally and other vendors are out there. You might find them locally at your favorite bookstore, or even at WalMart.

Hope that helps.
• "If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so nobody can!" ● Wait...I no longer have to fix it - I'm retired! :lol: ● Ken (IBA#50030) ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● My blog
jimm4

Post by jimm4 »

have looked at few places i already have atlas i,ll look harder for wall size. trying to get ready for trip that we were going to do last yr. [should have been done lol] got lazy
kwthom

Post by kwthom »

jimm4 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:02 pm have looked at few places i already have atlas i,ll look harder for wall size. trying to get ready for trip that we were going to do last yr. [should have been done lol] got lazy
I don't know - I'm in a town of a million. Our dedicated map store went out of business a couple of years ago. Owner wanted to retire & sell the business. Nobody bought it.

Here's a wall-sized (69" x 48") map: https://www.natgeomaps.com/re-united-st ... c-enlarged

I'm not sure anyone in Knoxville sells 'em; might have to go to Nashville if you're trying to find something locally.

Luck to ya!
jimm4

Post by jimm4 »

is there someplace i can go to enlarge to see if smaller roads are on it [wont let me do that on that site]

are things opening back up out west [motels + resturants]
jimm4

Post by jimm4 »

sorry thought i deleted part of enlarge map i found that
TheFalcro

Post by TheFalcro »

jimm4 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:55 pm is there someplace i can go to enlarge to see if smaller roads are on it [wont let me do that on that site]

are things opening back up out west [motels + resturants]
It really depends on the state and even the county. Here in Oregon we get a little opened up and then someone sneezes the wrong way and then they make 30,000 square foot health clubs to "no more than 6 people at a time ...do that math and see how that fits into your idea of the "6 foot" distancing standard. it is ridiculous. I understand being safe but limiting a health club that large to only 6 is ridiculous. your best bet is to look at the state and counties if you intend to come this way and just see what insanity is happening. Most restaurants are open for delivery service but very few have dine in areas and even the ones that do are outdoor seating only Motels and Hotels are hit and miss
kwthom

Post by kwthom »

TheFalcro wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:53 pm
jimm4 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:55 pm are things opening back up out west [motels + resturants]
<...>your best bet is to look at the state and counties if you intend to come this way and just see what insanity is happening. Most restaurants are open for delivery service but very few have dine in areas and even the ones that do are outdoor seating only Motels and Hotels are hit and miss
Not turning this into a pandemic thread...

I've been to Nevada & California back in October, and recently returned from a long weekend in California on Monday.

@TheFalcro has an accurate answer. Now, just this week (I think it was going to be today...) things are opening up a bit further in Los Angeles County. Motels are open, and only a few restaurants are having some outdoor seating. I do use Google Maps to research those opportunities, and it was quite accurate. Other, more rural, parts of California were open as much as we were here in Arizona.

Anyway, back to the map issue. I was able to click on the image to blow it up a bit. To me, on my 27" computer monitor, I see down to the state highway level, but not certain if it's showing anything smaller than that. There's a few roads (roads that I would call 'destination roads') that just won't show up on a map of that level.

For the *best* maps for levels lower than that, it's the state maps you can get at the border when you cross into a state. The Office of Tourism (check web pages...) from many states will provide them at a very nominal cost (e.g. postage, perhaps) though the few I have ever snagged I got for free when I went to the office personally.
jimm4

Post by jimm4 »

yes i got map to expand thanks. no not triying to turn into panic thread .just trying to get info .i posted on thread i started last yr i,m not trying to take over this thread thanks.