Planning CO trip for June. How many mi/day do you Avg?

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!

On a long trip, how many miles per day (riding) do you tend to average?

200-300
No votes
300-400
45%
400-500
18%
500-600
27%
600 +
9%

Total votes: 11

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Planning CO trip for June. How many mi/day do you Avg?

Post by C-dub »

While planning the routes and verifying paved roads using google maps I stumbled upon one of my routes that was paved for the first 3-4 miles, but turned to dirt for the next 30-40. Nope! Not again. New route for that day. I nearly have the entire trip planned and routed and that got me to wondering about you more experienced Wing travelers. On a typical long trip, about how many miles per day do you average riding? Do you spend more of your time riding than not and sight-seeing at the various locations? Or is the ride the sight-seeing?

For us, at least for now, the ride is the sight-seeing. We still have about 10 more years before actual retirement and we'd like to see as much as we can on our trips we're making now. That means more riding and less walking at stops.

Day 1 & 2, ~780 miles to get to Keenesburg Animal Sanctuary
Day 3, Keenesburg Animal Sanctuary
Day 4, ~365 mile sightseeing route to get to Colorado Springs
Day 5, Pikes Peak
Day 6, 460 mile sightseeing route to Cortez
Day 7, San Juan Skyway ending up back in Cortez or going on to Pagosa Springs
Day 8 & 9, ~810 miles home through northern NM

The entire trip is a little short of 2,700 miles. 300/day, but closer to 380 with only 7 days of riding except for Pikes Peak. That will be a much shorter day, but a still potentially difficult day. About 800-900 miles longer than our Natchez Trace trip last year and a couple days longer. We had a very nice and peaceful trip up the Trace. I've peaked ahead at some of the views on the routes in CO on google maps street view and it looks to be spectacular! I think I will be very happy to have that camera system once I get it installed soon. Although, I will need to get a few more micro-SD cards so I can swap them out and not overwrite anything on the trip.

I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargeant Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
Patriot Guard Rider
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Re: Planning CO trip for June. How many mi/day do you Avg?

Post by DenverWinger »

I've ridden as many as 1300 miles in a day solo, as many as 850 2up pulling camper. But that's when trying to make time!

300-400 in a day is a good number, allows a little sightseeing, we made a return trip on US24 from Michigan pulling camper, took 5 days on the return trip only going 200-400 per dat and then setting up another campsite.

While you are in Colorado, look me up, I'm only 40 miles from the Keenesburg animal sanctuary, I may be able to join you on a bit of your journey!

The sanctuary is best visited early, we went there in the early afternoon and most of the animals were just napping.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark
Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking »

If I have not planned my stops, I normally ride till I see something I want to visit, be that 100, 200 or 500 miles. I seldom ride more than 500 in a day any more, as I am getting a bit long in the tooth. Forty years ago, I put in thousand mile days on a regular basis, as the ride was all there was to it. Now though, some rest and relaxation really fit the bill. It has been thirty years since I lived in New Mexico, but I see the Owl Bar and Cafe in San Antonio NM is still there. It was always a great place to get a Green Chili Cheesburger and a Dos Equiis beer back then, IF you are planning on getting anywhere near there. There is a whole lot to see and visit between Denver and Las Cruces NM, and east within New Mexico, or west within Colorado. That whole area really needs an extended vacation to pack any amount of it in. Even then, a person would probably miss quite a lot. From Grand Junction to Ouray and Mesa Verde, then from Albuquerque to the White Sands Missile Range, catching Taos and Sante Fe on the crossover. I just love that area of the U.S. Anyone who has a month to spare should definitely take it in. The Huevos Rancheros breakfasts cannot be beat either.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Be flexible in your trip. A friend told me a few years back before I started to tour on my bike(s), that he had one regret from his motorcycle touring. He regretted not stopping more and seeing what was there. If you're planning 300 mile days, the average travelling time in a car is estimated at 6 hours at 50 MPH, because of stops and such. You can shave some time, but historically this is what it is - a good rule of thumb. On a motorcycle add 2 hours, something like snowmobiling, just takes more time when you stop, and you stop more often, just happens. Good luck with your trip planning.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

riding from point 'A' to point 'B' just to say you rode XXYY miles per day, is pointless.

how much did you enjoy that trip?
Not much, I'll wager.

for me and my group, we round it to 300 miles/day as a target, and look at trying to find accommodations near that point.

we like to stop and look, then arrive at the hotel around 3 to 5 pm and shower down, get some rest, then out for a bite to eat.

Kick stands up is usually at dawn ..... whether we use a hotel buffet ( preferable, opens at 6:00 ) or not, determines how soon we can get down the road.

over the years, we have settled on Best Western Plus, they have buffets that are decent, and clean rooms.

having to go to a restaurant for breakfast is a Day Killer.... you never get started until 9 a.m. and that ruins the best part of the riding day.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc
C-dub
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M

Post by C-dub »

DenverWinger wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:46 am The sanctuary is best visited early, we went there in the early afternoon and most of the animals were just napping.
That sounds good. We'll probably do that.
AZgl1800 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:48 pm riding from point 'A' to point 'B' just to say you rode XXYY miles per day, is pointless.

Not much, I'll wager.

for me and my group, we round it to 300 miles/day as a target, and look at trying to find accommodations near that point.

we like to stop and look, then arrive at the hotel around 3 to 5 pm and shower down, get some rest, then out for a bite to eat.

Kick stands up is usually at dawn ..... whether we use a hotel buffet ( preferable, opens at 6:00 ) or not, determines how soon we can get down the road.

over the years, we have settled on Best Western Plus, they have buffets that are decent, and clean rooms.

having to go to a restaurant for breakfast is a Day Killer.... you never get started until 9 a.m. and that ruins the best part of the riding day.
The only part of that plan we didn't do on our Natchez trip was the kickstand up time. Several of those days were only 170ish miles and we did stop and look about. Even so, that ride was still more about the ride. Other than our favorite B&B in northern Arkansas. And on the days on the Trace I couldn't tell you what we did for breakfast in the mornings. Buffets were shut down due to covid, so we probably just got a sandwich or breakfast burrito somewhere on the way. Once or twice it was leftovers from dinner the night before.

We did enjoy the ride, but that was the goal. On this upcoming trip the only days that are putting the miles on to get somewhere are really just the first two to Keenesburg and the last one getting home. All the others in between are to enjoy the ride and Colorado mountains.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargeant Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
Patriot Guard Rider
AZgl1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

yup,

we never "preplan" the whole trip, each day is met as we go typically.

the only real planning for me, is when I am going to a rally and need to set the hotel reservations in advance.
depending on how far it is, it is a one day, or two day trip...

however, for myself the method of transportation has changed a lot....
I always take the Suburban which has Air Conditioning, and the bike follows on the trailer.

Once at the rally, the bike is more fun as we try to get back in before it gets too hot.

Covid sure has changed the rules a lot for most of us.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc
blupupher
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Post by blupupher »

I have yet to take a multi day long distance trip ( have done some 400 mile to location, 2-3 days riding 200-300 miles a day in that location, then back home), but have done quite a few 300+ mile rides, a couple of 400 mile rides, and one 500 mile.
I find a big part of how I feel depends on the road.
500 miles of interstate in 8 hours is not bad, but 300 miles on backroads in 6 hours is a lot more tiring for me.
You also need to account for weather (hot, cold, raining, humidity, sunny, cloudy etc).
Riding 2 up can also make a difference. I have no issue with only getting off the bike for gas stops. My wife needs a break every 90 minutes or so. One of the reasons my wife has no desire to do long distance rides with me.
AZgl1800 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:48 pm riding from point 'A' to point 'B' just to say you rode XXYY miles per day, is pointless.

Not much, I'll wager.
I understand what you are saying, but disagree.
For some it is about the trip. For some it is about the destination. For some, it is just the joy of riding.
Sometimes riding 500 miles just to ride 500 miles is the goal. Sometimes you just need to get there, sight seeing is not even in the back of your mind except the sights you can see from the bike while riding.
Look at all the Iron Butt riders that do 1,000 miles (or even 1,500 miles) in a day. My be pointless to you, but not others. It is a challenge to be met for some.

Speaking of the Iron Butt Association, from the IBA 25 tips page:

1. Know your limits and plan your trip around them.
If the longest ride you have ever taken is 300 miles in a day, don't plan a trip with a string of endless five-hundred mile days. Iron Butt Association surveys also warn of an important trend in long distance trip planning. Discounting weather or other problems; after an initial mileage peak on days one and two, daily average mileage will steadily drop during trip days three to seven. On day seven of a trip, the typical long distance rider will comfortably ride about 65% of the average daily mileage that they would book on a two day trip. If the pros have this type of mileage attrition rate, would you plan on any less? Also include large easy-to-cut loops into your trip plan. If you do get behind schedule, this is the easiest way to skip part of your trip without ruining the rest of it. Whether you are capable of riding 300 miles per day, or 1,000, the ability to make miles tends to decrease as the length of the trip increases. The most severe loss is in days 3 through 7, where Iron Butt types then level out to about 65% of their peak capacity.
1994 GL1500 Goldwing SE
kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom »

C-dub wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:17 pm <...>The entire trip is a little short of 2,700 miles. 300/day, but closer to 380 with only 7 days of riding except for Pikes Peak. <...>
I'd call that reasonable...except...

There are times you can make it up the mountain - and there's days you can't. :shock:

Consider a plan "B".

Might not necessarily help for this upcoming trip, but might be of help another time: https://kwthom.blogspot.com/p/tour-of-l ... ning.html
• "If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so nobody can!" ● Wait...I no longer have to fix it - I'm retired! :lol: ● Ken (IBA#50030) ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● My blog
C-dub
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M

Post by C-dub »

kwthom wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:14 pm
C-dub wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:17 pm <...>The entire trip is a little short of 2,700 miles. 300/day, but closer to 380 with only 7 days of riding except for Pikes Peak. <...>
I'd call that reasonable...except...

There are times you can make it up the mountain - and there's days you can't. :shock:

Consider a plan "B".

Might not necessarily help for this upcoming trip, but might be of help another time: https://kwthom.blogspot.com/p/tour-of-l ... ning.html
Thanks for that kwthom, I think I've read a few of your informational blogs now. I have been riding for about 40 years now and my cross country riding began in 1983 while in the Navy when I was transferring out to my squadron in San Diego from school near Memphis. I made that trip in four riding days. No sightseeing except while riding.

Now, almost 40 years later, it looks like I've learned some things. I actually do have two Plan B routes in case we aren't sure about another 1-2 more hours of saddle time. Getting From Keenesburg to Colorado Springs could be only 110 miles, but the scenic route I've laid out is 365, which could be cut to about 220 later in the day. And the other, longest day from Colorado Springs to Cortez, can be shortened from 465 a couple of ways down to about 360.

Blupupher's information from the IBA page regarding extended rides mileage decreasing in days 3-7 is interesting. For our Natchez trip last year we found the opposite, but the three days on the Trace averaged only about 170 miles then a 300 something getting to a B&B in Arkansas. With two planned rest days, 3 & 5, and the altitude we will be at from days 3-8 that day-6 ride to Cortez is the one I'm most concerned about and will probably be the one that get's cut short or completely amended if anything. The plan is there if that's how we feel when we're there.

We do keep in contact with family on stops or at the end of the day, but we don't really announce our trip on social media sites ahead of time. FB is about the only one we're on and even then our pages are viewable by "friends" only, but you never know, right? Basically, we don't talk about details about dates or update FB while we're on the trip to clue in folks that we're not home and only post stuff once we return and have had a chance to decompress before putting it out there. Heck, my daughter can track my phone, so she'll be able to know where we are. Funny thing is, she doesn't know I know she can do that and hasn't figured out that I'm the one that set it up like that so I can track her. She thinks she's being sneaky and has even asked my wife if I've put any tracking apps on her phone. I haven't because I didn't nee to. It's built in and can't be deleted and the only way it can be thwarted is if she turns the phone off or leaves it at home. Yeah right!

Anyway, for us for now, the journey is the destination for most of our rides so far. We have found the ride to be very relaxing and exciting. I've even found myself turning off my radio or music most of the time we're riding. It's there if I want it, but have found the "silence" more peaceful. That's kinda crazy since we are both musicians and enjoy many types of music and I have many types on my thumb drive in the trunk. I do tend to turn it on when we're in town. Maybe that's to drown out some of that city noise.
Patriot Guard Rider
C-dub
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M

Post by C-dub »

blupupher wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:57 am I have yet to take a multi day long distance trip ( have done some 400 mile to location, 2-3 days riding 200-300 miles a day in that location, then back home), but have done quite a few 300+ mile rides, a couple of 400 mile rides, and one 500 mile.
I find a big part of how I feel depends on the road.
500 miles of interstate in 8 hours is not bad, but 300 miles on backroads in 6 hours is a lot more tiring for me.
You also need to account for weather (hot, cold, raining, humidity, sunny, cloudy etc).
Riding 2 up can also make a difference. I have no issue with only getting off the bike for gas stops. My wife needs a break every 90 minutes or so. One of the reasons my wife has no desire to do long distance rides with me.

Not much, I'll wager.
I understand what you are saying, but disagree.
For some it is about the trip. For some it is about the destination. For some, it is just the joy of riding.
Sometimes riding 500 miles just to ride 500 miles is the goal. Sometimes you just need to get there, sight seeing is not even in the back of your mind except the sights you can see from the bike while riding.
This is pretty much where we're at now. We've "trained" a bit with 3-4-5 hundred mile loops from home learning how to do those longer rides in a day. We've done two rides a little over 500 miles and were surprised at how relatively easy we found them to be. Much more difficult by myself for sure and I've done several since getting the Wing and others in my youth on a much less comfortable bike. Our actual trips are getting longer. This one this year might be our longest while only taking one week off from work. We're realizing that to get any further from home is going to take more time off in the future since we're riding and not flying.
Patriot Guard Rider
AZgl1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

Tracking Apps:

I installed Life360 on my daughter's phone and mine.

We are all that is left in my immediate close by family, she lives with me, or I live with her :lol:

My son, her brother, lives in Georgia but spends most of his time in Dayton, OH on a work project. He is very paranoid and refuses to allow his phone's GPS to be turned on. I mentioned Life360 to him and he said "that will never happen".

For me, it is a very nice feature.... my daughter is a Rural Mail carrier and has over the past year, called me several times to come help her because of a car problem, usually flat tires.

Life360 locates her, and has a button for "Directions" which then brings up Google Maps and takes me directly to where she is disabled.... a very nice feature for rural roads that don't have addresses posted every 75 feet.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc
kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom »

C-dub wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:55 pm <...>Anyway, for us for now, the journey is the destination for most of our rides so far. We have found the ride to be very relaxing and exciting. I've even found myself turning off my radio or music most of the time we're riding. It's there if I want it, but have found the "silence" more peaceful. That's kinda crazy since we are both musicians and enjoy many types of music and I have many types on my thumb drive in the trunk. I do tend to turn it on when we're in town. Maybe that's to drown out some of that city noise.
Zen and the art of motorcycle enjoyment... :lol:

Most of our rides have been like that to one degree or another. You've done this long enough to have a pretty good handle on timing, etc. A couple more thoughts...

Some of our earlier rides, I'd baked in to the plan a 'down-day' just to make sure we were feeling good, no issues had bitten us to that point, and we were still having fun. We'd still ride, but keep things local to where we were.

Now, it's not so much of a 'down-day', but more like having options (two, maybe three) on where we'll stay, but not actually making a reservation until later on that day.

Leaving mid-afternoon on a Friday (after leaving work a bit early...and having 90% of our stuff packed & ready to go days before...) makes getting 300 miles or so in on a day you really didn't plan on traveling also helps.

Minimize the audio... When I really got involved with LD riding, I hadn't thought about the times I'd ridden for 10 or 12 hours and maybe only have the music on for a short period of time. Having the earplugs/earphones in place and really being in a bubble of silence really changed the ride.

My wife has recognized this - and I keep apologizing to her. yes, we have our conversations while under way, but there's just times a half-hour or hour of quiet with her while zipping down the road also can be a place of zen. ;)
• "If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so nobody can!" ● Wait...I no longer have to fix it - I'm retired! :lol: ● Ken (IBA#50030) ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● My blog
C-dub
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M

Post by C-dub »

DenverWinger wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:46 am While you are in Colorado, look me up, I'm only 40 miles from the Keenesburg animal sanctuary, I may be able to join you on a bit of your journey!
While going over my routes I discovered the Glenwood Canyon section along I-70. From Colorado Springs over to Cortez I was planning on going down to Hwy 50 and over past Gunnison before turning north up Hwy-92 to go up around Hotchkiss and back down on 50 through Olathe and Colona before turning eat at Ridgeway on Hwy-62. Now I'm thinking about just heading up to I-70 from Colorado Springs to be able to ride that section through Glenwood Canyon before turning south at Glenwood Springs and catching 62 at Hotchkiss for the rest of the ride to Cortez. Have you ridden both of those routes? Has anyone else that might indicate their preference between them?

I'm really thinking that we would appreciate the Glenwood Canyon route more even though it is on the interstate.

Then there's also two obvious choices just getting to I-70 from Colorado Springs. Hwy-24 all the way or Hwy-24 over to Hwy-9 and up? I have a feeling that either way is spectacular and neither will disappoint.
Patriot Guard Rider
823JIM
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Goldwing
1978 KZ650 (needs restoring)

Post by 823JIM »

It is hard to nail down an average. When it is just my brother and I (with wife on back and trailer) we have rode many 900+ mile days, but not in a row. Most days are 500 t0 600 miles, unless riding with another riding pair. One couple that has taken trips with us ride a Harley Tri-Glide we are luck to make 400 miles, they are late starters and stop for many extended breaks, their fault not the bikes.
Friends don't let friends do stupid stuff (alone)

Jim King
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

C-dub wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:00 pm
DenverWinger wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:46 am While you are in Colorado, look me up, I'm only 40 miles from the Keenesburg animal sanctuary, I may be able to join you on a bit of your journey!
While going over my routes I discovered the Glenwood Canyon section along I-70. From Colorado Springs over to Cortez I was planning on going down to Hwy 50 and over past Gunnison before turning north up Hwy-92 to go up around Hotchkiss and back down on 50 through Olathe and Colona before turning eat at Ridgeway on Hwy-62. Now I'm thinking about just heading up to I-70 from Colorado Springs to be able to ride that section through Glenwood Canyon before turning south at Glenwood Springs and catching 62 at Hotchkiss for the rest of the ride to Cortez. Have you ridden both of those routes? Has anyone else that might indicate their preference between them?

I'm really thinking that we would appreciate the Glenwood Canyon route more even though it is on the interstate.

Then there's also two obvious choices just getting to I-70 from Colorado Springs. Hwy-24 all the way or Hwy-24 over to Hwy-9 and up? I have a feeling that either way is spectacular and neither will disappoint.
How about this? To do a loop from Colorado Springs to Cortez I'd take US-24 to I-70, W on I-70 down Glenwood Canyon to Hwy 65 past DeBeque toward Delta, or stay on I-70 to Grand Junction, (Or you could cut the corner at DeBeque and take the 45 1/2 mile road to 65) then take US-50 toward Delta. Continue US-50 to Montrose, then take US-550 (The "Million Dollar Highway", cost $1M/mile to build and is spectacular) to Durango, then US-160 W to Cortez.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark
C-dub
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M

Post by C-dub »

DenverWinger wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:29 pm How about this? To do a loop from Colorado Springs to Cortez I'd take US-24 to I-70, W on I-70 down Glenwood Canyon to Hwy 65 past DeBeque toward Delta, or stay on I-70 to Grand Junction, (Or you could cut the corner at DeBeque and take the 45 1/2 mile road to 65) then take US-50 toward Delta. Continue US-50 to Montrose, then take US-550 (The "Million Dollar Highway", cost $1M/mile to build and is spectacular) to Durango, then US-160 W to Cortez.
The million dollar highway is on the plan for the next day. From Cortez we'll head north on 145 to 82 then back down 550 (MDH) to Durango then over to Pagosa Springs for the night. That's mainly why I'm planning the long way around to get to Cortez.

Patriot Guard Rider