I know I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer...

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
Skyryder
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

I know I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer...

Post by Skyryder »

but I am having a heck of a time piecing together a ride from the St. Augustine area to Roanoke, VA that is not all Interstate roads, or all small curvy roads. I have tried to use the scenic app and also Rever app, but I guess I am just going to have to learn how to make a route on my Garmin using point to point waypoints and pick the roads I want to travel. I am happy to get into GA on I-95, but would prefer to go thru North and South Carolina thru some small towns and two or 4 lane roads. Any suggestions for route planning, either highway suggestions or "how to" info for Garmin or iPhone happily accepted. I am planning to leave in 72 hours. TIA
Sky

M61A1MECH
Motorcycle: 2013 Goldwing

Re: I know I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer...

Post by M61A1MECH »

Are you using Kurviger with the Scenic?
I find Kurviger easy to use for routing, but it does not have an app for use with an iPhone so have yo use Scenic to interface to my routes, Scenic is a resource hog and seems to run the battery down on the iPhone faster than the charger can keep it fully charged.

https://kurviger.de/en
Steve K
Edgewater, FL

And the Lord said. "Thou shalt have dominion over all of the animals, except of course the cat."
tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper »

Kurviger is a good bet for planning routes with different levels of "curviness".

I'm trying to plan a route from Charlotte to Nashville and/or Mammoth Cave, and what I'm finding is that a lot of the secondary roads on the map that look like a thin trace are actually highways with two lanes going in each direction. Distinguishing them on the map isn't easy, but Kurviger seems to do a better job certainly than Google, Apple, Waze, and the other apps that only let you select Fastest / Shortest / etc.
'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2
M61A1MECH
Motorcycle: 2013 Goldwing

Post by M61A1MECH »

You do need to zoom in on the way points on divided highways, to be sure you picked on the correct side of the road, sometimes you end up on the wrong side and it makes you turn around to get to the other side of the road.
I like it also because you can export the route in a couple different file formats such as .gpx , .kml , .itn
Steve K
Edgewater, FL

And the Lord said. "Thou shalt have dominion over all of the animals, except of course the cat."
MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
184K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
14K Miles

Post by MikeB »

I have used Garmin Map Source for close to 20 years. I just looked at Kurviger for the first time. It appears just as easy if not easier to set up a route as Map Source.
I entered your start and finish location as St. Augustine, FL and Roanokae, VA. It set up a route of about 747 miles in ab out 3seconds or less.
Looks like you can download it once you login to the program and it should be just the ticket for your trip. I guess your main challenge is to learn how to upload it to your GPS.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 1968 - 1986 / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 1986 - 1992. Retired
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 1992 - 2014
Retired in Tacoma, WA
tamathumper

Post by tamathumper »

Just one thing to watch with Kurviger - it uses Open Street Maps (OSM) data, and their drive time estimates may be slow - so a route that Google and Waze calculate as 6 hours may show as 8 hours on Kurviger, because Google and Waze use socially-collected drive data to make more accurate estimates.
'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2
Skyryder

Post by Skyryder »

Thank you to the both of you. I am going to give it a try, but I am hoping to stay off the "beaten path" a little for this trip and "smell some roses" as well. I will report back and try to take a few photos!
tamathumper

Post by tamathumper »

Kurviger will definitely keep you off the beaten path, especially on the two curviest settings.
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

Anyone tried the Sygic products?

I downloaded the Truck version last week, and so far, I am very impressed with it.
The vocal information is plenty loud on the phone's speaker, but it would be better to use Bluetooth to your helmet.

Several versions available, check it out.
works best if you have a extSDcard as I do, I downloaded 30gB of maps so it never needs to see a cell tower.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ruck&hl=en

available for iPhone also
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc
tamathumper

Post by tamathumper »

I have Sygic on my Android phone, and several of their add-ons including real-time traffic data. I especially like the free map updates and ability to navigate without any cellular connection.

They have a Heads-Up Display mode, an Augmented Reality mode that uses your camera to overlay directional arrows on the screen, and a bunch of other features that sound cool, for only $4 or something like that, but I typically use Google or Waze so haven't had the opportunity to use it much.
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

I can't use anything that requires DATA from the wireless carrier, as my DATA plan is a limited "Family Share" plan and is only 2gB per month.

I made a trip with WAZE once and in one days time, it went through 4gB of data on my then 8gB/month plan.

I erased it from the phone, and said "good riddance".
it has some neat features, but it is way too expensive for low budget data plans.

we recently though, have switched to T-Mobile and have 2 of their Travel Modems, which would give me 100 gB/month of data... that might make WAZE acceptable again....

but, having looked at the Sygic Truck app, which will automatically route me around the big cities, I won't be needing WAZE anymore.

I have a Garmin 2797 in my truck and on the bike, the maps are reasonably up to date, but it does not make good decisions sometimes.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc
minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing
Y̶a̶m̶a̶h̶a̶ ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶
S̶u̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶cutive

Post by minimac »

What's wrong with plain, old fashioned, paper maps? They may not have the latest information, but I use them all the time for plotting out routes. You can even do them online. I mark the routes I want to take, write them down and keep them in my bike or scooter to check each time I stop. My GPS is only used if I get lost or run into obstacles I have to go around. The toughest part is learning to fold them!
Skyryder

Post by Skyryder »

An update on the outcome of the mapping out my ride. I signed up for Rever and tried to use it, but I just didn't have enough prep time to really learn how to best use the app, it seemed it was either straight line or turned a 5 hour ride into 2 days worth. Plus to be honest, I also wanted to use the GPS in case I was in an area that didn't have cell coverage.
I finally used Google's "my maps" and made a route that for the most part fit my desires. I broke it down into legs of about 5 hours or one day's ride. Then saved the files and opened them in Google Maps to make sure it worked. Then I reformatted the files into a GPX file and loaded onto my Garmin. I was pretty pleased with myself and got the trip started. I hadn't started from my house because I knew how I was going for the first 100 miles or so, but from my first planned fuel stop. All good so far. I selected the route after the fuel stop and it took me back to the interstate as I had planned, but after about 5 miles I noticed that the route had been changed back to the "least time" as was the google default. I was really sad about this, but took the exit I had planned to take to start the "off the beaten path" portion and tried to redirect the GPS. In the end I am still not sure why all the waypoints/routing in the map didn't make it into the GPS, but I suspect something happened with the file reformat and the only thing that survived was the origin and destination. In the end, the first day was planned for about a 6 hour day including stops, turned into a 8 hour day including a 90 minute lunch break in a small diner in a small Georgia town where I had about 3 local gents decide to join me at my table to talk about where I was going and offering suggestions of places to visit. They were enamored with my bike and the fact that I was just out traveling around on it. Things like those moments are what make riding such a joy IMHO. I will try to refine my use of the electronics on the next trip, but in the end it was a paper map that I wound using with written routes that got me on the roads I thought I wanted to ride. Sometimes the "old ways" just work...LOL