Buyers Remorse?

Brothers and Sisters to our Goldwings - Other Bikes we Own
  • Sponsored Links
zeoran
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda ST1100, 1982 Honda Interstate (sold)

Buyers Remorse?

Post by zeoran » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:03 am

I just started a new job that's 40 miles away from me and the daily commute was killing me and my crappy car. So I went looking for a new motorcycle to buy. It's been 25 years since I last rode my '82 Goldwing Interstate, but I still had my class m. My budget was only $2,500 and I needed something reliable and cheap to maintain but I'll never ride a crotch rocket. I found an '84 Goldwing Interstate https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/m ... 73483.html as well as a 2002 Honda ST1100. The ST1100 was a lot closer and I never got a reply to my first email to the guy with the Goldwing, so I took a look at the ST1100 and it was in great condition, had recently had a bunch of good maintenance done, took a test ride and everything seemed great, so I bought it. I've ridden it a while now and I just rode it to work for the first time. Thing is, I can't help but keep comparing it to my Goldwing. And I'm wondering if I should have pursued a 1984 Goldwing Interstate that was also $2,500, it was just a lot further away from me. The bike I bought has one major problem, the guy cut the windshield from the stock 16" to 12". I guess he preferred having the wind in his face. I don't. So I bought a new windshield that's 20" but that won't arrive until next week. I got a new helmet, now I just need to get a headset to go in it. I'm planning on getting the Cardo Packtalk Slim based on the research I've done. I can get an older Cardo unit for my son's helmet so we can talk/etc on the few times he rides with me. I've also got a better jacket, gloves and cover coming in the new few days. I know the Goldwing would have been more expensive to repair, I don't know what condition that '84 was in, I couldn't afford anything higher than $2,500, it gets worse gas mileage, etc. I just can't seem to stop myself from comparing. The main difference is how I sit during the ride. With the Goldwing, I was always sitting up straight and even had a backrest, so it was always a very comfortable ride. I'm not saying the ST1100 is uncomfortable perse', but I'm riding more leaning forward, not as far as if I was on a crotch rocket, but I'm not sitting up, like on a Goldwing. I'm sure it will get better as I get used to riding in general and riding the ST1100 specifically. I'm also sure the extra 8" on the windshield will make a big difference. So should having a good jacket, gloves, and a headset. I appreciate all your feedback and would love to keep getting more. One thing I haven't been able to find, even with the manual, is the low fuel switch. My Goldwing had a switch that when the gas was low, I would switch and it was like a reserve tank or something. I don't seem to have one on the ST1100 unless I'm missing something.

~Mark

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE
2018 Ural Gearup

Re: Buyers Remorse?

Post by Happytrails » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:36 pm

My 2 cents is to enjoy the bike you have. If you still feel like this in a year you can always sell the ST and move onto another bike. If thats the case then try to be reasonable about the farkling if you think there might be a chance you might only have the bike a short while. Or you can pick up a used windshield for your ST off ebay that isn't cut off. As for the low fuel switch if the bike is fuel injected it might now have a reserve but rather a low fuel indicator.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

zeoran
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda ST1100, 1982 Honda Interstate (sold)

Re: Buyers Remorse?

Post by zeoran » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:11 pm

I actually found an "ST-Owners" forum that's been extremely helpful in getting my 'new' bike up to where I want it to be. I bought a Rifle 24" windshield that's working out perfectly. I'm just waiting on funding to do the front brakes as well as replacing the crap grips that the PO put on her. Other than that, things are going well. I found a cover that fits perfectly, even with the new extra tall windshield. I'm also working on getting risers to lift the handlebars so I can be in more of a sitting position when I'm riding to/from work. By this time next year, my son will graduate HS and we'll be moving close to my work so I won't need to commute like I'm doing every day now. At that point, I may sell off the ST1100 or I may keep her and just look for a Goldwing to go with. I do miss my '82 wing and I'd love to have one of the newer ones, although I can't stand the brand new wings that have automatic transmission. An automatic transmission takes half the fun out of riding a motorcycle in my opinion. But I can understand that there are plenty of people who would prefer it, especially since the wing is aimed at touring. Right now, I don't have time/money for touring, just commuting. Someday.... :-)