1977 Triumph 750 Bonneville
1978 GL1000 Goldwing
Previous: 1969 Honda CL450
1981 Yamaha Virago 920
1965 Honda 150
1967 Triumph Mountain Cub

1983 Honda CB1000 Basket case rebuild.

Post by Wirelic » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:34 pm

Hello to all. I have another thread on here about rebuilding my own 1978 Goldwing. Just as I started that, a customer (I run a bike repair & Restoration shop) dropped off the above bike. Some readers of my other thread suggested I start this separate thread for the 83 CB1000, so that’s what this is.

It was delivered as a stripped rolling chassis with 7 boxes and totes of parts. The engine block is separate with most everything removed or disassembled.
It seems a bit over 2 years ago, a bearing failed in the 5-speed, 2-range transmission. The owner took it to a mechanic who tore it almost completely apart. The mechanic then suffered a heart attack and other major health issues, so the project has sat for 2 years in boxes in the mechanics garage. When I got them this Saturday, most everything is coated with dirt, grime, cottonwood fluff and all sorts of other dirt and debris. Of course, nothing is tagged or labeled, just dumped into boxes.

So, first job is to sort out all the parts, identify them and make some kind of order out of the mess. Then I’ll have to clean everything, derust a bunch of fasteners.
Below are a few pics of how I received the bike and a pic or two of the sorting process getting underway.
Attachments