First Road trip with a Trailer and both tires went flat.

Information, ideas, experiences and help with camping, pulling a trailer and roughing it on your Goldwing
XJadynX
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Asp.

First Road trip with a Trailer and both tires went flat.

Post by XJadynX »

I have an old Goldwing Trailer. I mean it has a fake Triple down pipe for both sides like many Goldwings would. Huge lights, and a 5 round plug, what it also has is tiny tires, like Golf cart tires. Didn't bother me when I bought it in the least though. Anyways, I had it serviced when I bought it. It needed to be rewired to match my bike's plug layout, new Barings, packed and new tires for it, The tires legit cost 10 bucks mounted which shocked me but this was done through a trailer place I have always used. Anyways, I towed it home from that just fine.

It sat in my driveway about 2 maybe 3 months before I went to put it to use, my first road trip, something simple, a little over 200 miles. I loaded it up, ( maybe 50lbs worth of stuff, at most ) noticed the tires looked a little down but I could fix that on the road at our first stop ( Likely my mistake ) I didn't get 30 minutes from home and noticed the trailer fishtailing wildly. I managed to get over on the Highway and saw it, One tire off the rim and the other flat. I was confused, angry and so many more emotions. I called triple A for help and managed to get the one off the rim off the trailer and set up to put on my only spare. When Triple A got there, He helped me get the tire on and inflated the other tire. Turned around brought the bike home, unloaded the trailer and threw it into the car and just took that instead.

Now I sit here after getting home what I should do and further more what did I do wrong if anything. Should of Inflated the tires right away? Was being down a little the reason they both went flat fully? They Are brand new tires, Were they mounted wrong? Is it just the rims being old and I should get new ones? I don't know if I can trust the trailer anymore at this point and not sure what to do. I want to do road trips with it, but without a trailer, I'm not sure I'll keep that dream alive.

Picture of my Trailer included.
Attachments

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: 2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc https://imgur.com/foGDjgv

'02 GL1800 lives in Dawsonville, GA now.
My son is going to enjoy it for many years to come.

Re: First Road trip with a Trailer and both tires went flat.

Post by AZgl1800 »

if there is less than 20 psi in those tires, they will come off the rims.
ask how I know that?

also, replace them with good wheels and tires,
I went to a custom trailer supply and bought the next size up wheels, same bolt pattern, still 8" but wider at 5.70x8, and the tires are taller, and speed rated to 80 mph.

the tires are made by Carlisle
~John

2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

https://i.imgur.com/4SOFPYS.jpg
XJadynX

Post by XJadynX »

I'll do what I can, Like I said, I just dropped 2k on my Goldwing putting a lot of new parts on it. So I'm running a little shallow money wise. I need to get the tire that's off the rim fixed though. I don't go over 65 really on my Goldwing just cause that's where it's happy, sometimes I'll touch 70, but I'll look into it, thank you.
autonoob
Motorcycle: 2000 Honda Goldwing GL1500

Post by autonoob »

Oh no, sorry for the hassle that you have experienced during this trip.
Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

Welcome to the forum. Where are you from? Nice looking trailer. How about a picture of the whole rig?

Looks like you may have chrome wheels. New 8" wheels in chrome are next to impossible to find so pre-mounted sets are probably not of interest to you but you can buy a fully mounted wheel and tire from many different places including Walmart, Tractor Supply, etc. and use as a spare. That said, I'm unsure what you actually bought for new tires. You must use DOT rated and approved trailer tires, not golf cart tires or wheels. These tires will run at $30 each and probably need to be hand mounted. Then read the sidewall for maximum pressure rating and run them up to that to seat the bead. Check the "joint" between tire and wheel and you should see a line on the tire about a 1/8" from the wheel. It should be even all the way around. Deflate it and see that it stays seated. Once you're sure it's seated, you can drop the pressure down to 40 or 50psig if you are not running at the maximum load.

To the other part of your question. Yes, you should have checked the pressure before you left. T-CLOCS every time.

BTW. Do not reuse the tire that came completely off the wheel and close inspect that wheel for damage.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
XJadynX

Post by XJadynX »

Ohh I use a Trailer place to service it. I just call them Golf cart tires because of the size that's all. They are replacement tires of what was one there before, so they had to be road rated already. I do believe I was just foolish and ran them lower air then I thought. I'm going to be hauling the trailer back to my Trailer place likely the end of this week and have them look things over. I'm also considering upgrading to 1 size larger. I have my place looking into it for me already.

I'll get a picture of the whole thing down the road when the trailer is done again. I just dropped 2 grand on getting a bunch of new parts mounted on my Goldwing... to which I was in such a rush to get back on the road after the trailer debacle I left it uncovered and it rained on it all day... UGH.... I never leave my bikes uncovered. Ohh and I'm from Franklin MA.
Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

Well then, I'll revise my first comment to "Welcome neighbor."

"Rained?" It was a hurricane for cryin' out loud. She's gonna need a good hot ride to dry her out.

Could easily have been low pressure to start but if they are newly mounted tires, they shouldn't be that low already. Aluminum wheels leak down but those chrome wheels should have held air all season with properly seated new tires and good valve stems. Keep an eye on the next ones. So long as you have enough room, it's always nice to have the bigger tires. I'm looking for some 4.80-12 for my latest trailer project.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
XJadynX

Post by XJadynX »

IT could be the wheels are just old, it could be they weren't seated properly or inflated properly to start with. As for the hot ride, yea, I just finished that, she fought me on starting up, and fought harder not wanting to stay running. I finally got her moving and once I did I hit the throttle pretty hard and she cleared up quickly and ran just fine.

I really appreciate all the advice and information. I'm going to get to the bottom of this, and find out what happened to those wheels. Currently searching for an upgraded size, or at least my Trailer guys are. Should know tomorrow.
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

Sorry to hear of your misfortune….

I have 4.80-8 Carlysle tires on my camper which loaded is probably 500 LBS. I’m now typing on a cell phone from Jackson County Michigan after 1300 miles of 75-80 MPH. The brand new tires when I left home still look new. 1300 miles done, continuing on to Wise VA then back to Denver. I’ve found these tires to be good, a mystery as to why your failures. I’m running 30 PSI in mine.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary numbers, and those that don't. :lol:

♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:
~Mark
kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom »

XJadynX wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:29 am Ohh I use a Trailer place to service it. I just call them Golf cart tires because of the size that's all. They are replacement tires of what was one there before, so they had to be road rated already. I do believe I was just foolish and ran them lower air then I thought. I'm going to be hauling the trailer back to my Trailer place likely the end of this week and have them look things over. I'm also considering upgrading to 1 size larger. I have my place looking into it for me already. <...>
If your trailer place used your original trailer rims, I suspect your trailer shop may have half-@ssed the installation of those tires on those rims.

Since they got the job done enough to get 'em home, then it was 100% on you to check those tires a day, a week, a month after you got it home just to figure out if your trailer place did their job correctly.

Certainly don't need to be at max pressure as indicated on the tires to keep those tires on those rims. Max GVWR on the trailer can't be much more than 500 lbs.

Good luck to ya on a resolution.
Effective 09/29/2021, in a self-imposed "social media detox" - focusing on offline social interactions and actions.
The Original Eggman
Motorcycle: 2007 V Star 650
2004 GL1800

Post by The Original Eggman »

I have two different pull behind trailers and one just happens to look as if it might be the same brand as the one in the photo. These trailers require 50-60 PSI. I know that sounds like a lot but that is what they require. I adjust my pressure up and down so I get even tire wear. I had a tire on the one like yours that had a very slow lead and would not stay inflated even after putting slime in it so I put a tube in it. Once the tires wore out and need to be replaced, I replaced the tires and rims. Get the tires with the M speed rating (80MPH) or higher if you can find them.

Another thing about these tires is that they can hold their shape with as little as 5 PSI. So if it looks like you might need to add air to the tire, YOU NEED TO ADD AIR TO THE TIRE!
klook
Motorcycle: 2002 Goldwing

Post by klook »

Just returned from the Goldwing gathering and I towed my trailer. I had bought new tires since I last had it out and a spare mounted up under it. I use a cheap tpms and mount it on my speaker grills. I continually had to stop and pump up one or the other tire to make it to the lunch meetup on Fri. in Rogersville Va. After lunch, my brother and I found a tire shop and they told me to go get metal screw on valve stems......the new rubber ones the tire shop installed could be spun around under pressure even. If I bent them sideways they would leak! 30 minutes later we were on our way and they did not leak again the whole weekend.
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

The Original Eggman wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:06 am These trailers require 50-60 PSI. I know that sounds like a lot but that is what they require.
My 4.80-8 tires show max pressure of 60 PSI

First set of new tires when I bought the trailer I ran 50 PSI. At that pressure I wear out the center of the tire tread and the trailer bounces a lot. Second and current set of tires I'm running 30 PSI, the tires are wearing pretty even, and it isn't so bouncy.

60 PSI might be needed for these tires on a much heavier trailer, but mine fully loaded is only 500 lbs.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary numbers, and those that don't. :lol:

♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:
~Mark
klook

Post by klook »

Mine are rated at 80 lbs. I only was using 30, rode nice. The tire shop put 60 in and my tpms showed 56. I left it that way and the trailer bounced a lot. I am going to reduce them to 30 before I use it again.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

All of these recommendations for tire pressures are great - but remember that the number one differentiator for tire pressure is how much weight you're carrying. Is your trailer empty? Then you need to reduce the air pressure in the tires, or else the trailer is going to be bouncing into the air over every bump. Is the trailer loaded down and heavy? Then you need to increase the air pressure in the tires, or else the tire sidewalls will flex, heat up and fail.
XJadynX

Post by XJadynX »

Yea, this I know. I think somehow the air just leaked out and I didn't notice. I've ordered 4 new wheels and tires, bigger ones with a higher weight and speed rating. New Rims, tires, and what not. If I'm lucky I'll be able to use it towards the end of October.
XJadynX

Post by XJadynX »

klook wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:56 am Just returned from the Goldwing gathering and I towed my trailer. I had bought new tires since I last had it out and a spare mounted up under it. I use a cheap tpms and mount it on my speaker grills. I continually had to stop and pump up one or the other tire to make it to the lunch meetup on Fri. in Rogersville Va. After lunch, my brother and I found a tire shop and they told me to go get metal screw on valve stems......the new rubber ones the tire shop installed could be spun around under pressure even. If I bent them sideways they would leak! 30 minutes later we were on our way and they did not leak again the whole weekend.
I ordered 4 new larger tiers with new rims. Better rated weight and higher highway speed. Only 60 bucks each mounted so I might as well. This is an old trailer. Once I get this sorted I want to see what I can do to get it wrapped or painted to match my bike.
northerndrifter
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
25 anniversary Canadian Edition. 1976 Honda CB750A

Post by northerndrifter »

The cheapest and most reliable fix is to tube the tires. Even if they're tubeless, you can usually repair a puncture on the side of the road with a bicycle patch kit. I have been building my own trailers and trailering since 1983 and have ALWAYS tubed my trailer tires. Inexpensive fix from any store, even WalMart. I often throw in a spare new tube into the trailer, "just in case".
Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by Techdude2000 »

What ever ends up being the culprit, it’s not wise to start a trip to anywhere with under inflated tires on a trailer or the bike. Please, always inflate to a proper pressure before getting on the road.
XJadynX

Post by XJadynX »

From all I could tell they were inflated. It's possible they were not inflated enough to was pulled off the rim. As it is I'm going to always carry an Air pump and pressure meter with me to make sure they are okay every time I go to use it from now on... provided I still use it, that has come into question lately.
klook

Post by klook »

Then you need to increase the air pressure in the tires, or else the tire sidewalls will flex, heat up and fail.
That is why I like my tpms system that also tracks tire temps.
kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom »

XJadynX wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:16 am <...> to make sure they are okay every time I go to use it from now on... provided I still use it, that has come into question lately.
I got my trailer fixed up a few months ago, thinking we were going to take it on our last three-week long trip.

About a week before departure, my wife was the one that said we could do with a few less things to take with us, and the ride would be much nice without the trailer.

:shock: :lol:

Now, a year earlier, we'd done two weeks with only the rack bag as extra space and did just fine. Yeah, you need to periodically do laundry - again, it's not like you're riding 16+ hours a day, every day on trips like these. Thus, there's certainly downtime to allow that to occur.
Effective 09/29/2021, in a self-imposed "social media detox" - focusing on offline social interactions and actions.
Trapper
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

Post by Trapper »

Any tirethat runs low on air will run a lot hotter. Not sure if that was the cause or not. Also, my log splitter says it has "high speed tires" but the fine print says rated for max. If 45. Just be sure if what the rating is, and proper air presssure.