Trailer picture thread

Information, ideas, experiences and help with camping, pulling a trailer and roughing it on your Goldwing
  • Sponsored Links
aj1500
Motorcycle: 97 1500 SE
Motorvation II sidecar
Double Dark Side # 1522
Goodyear Fuel max 175/60 R16
PILOT ACTIV 130/70 18
USCA# 8913

Re: Trailer picture thread

Post by aj1500 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:50 pm

here is one I built to haul my RC planes in. it pulls great but is a bit of a parachute :lol:
Attachments

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Post by littlebeaver » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:29 am

I am considering just a flatbed trailer and using that black flexible netting to keep my plastic bends contained that will lay on top...... :shock: Right now I dismantled my neat little trailer to put my cars engine on it so I can maneuver it around with ease.... I had my silly wife pose for the photograph just for fun...LOL

before
before

I wreaked it for the engine,  used a come along to  secure it to the trailer so it wouldn't fall over when I rolled it around..
I wreaked it for the engine, used a come along to secure it to the trailer so it wouldn't fall over when I rolled it around..

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Post by Uncle Fester » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:31 pm

roadwanderer2 wrote:LOL, that's funny. is that fiberglass or cast iron. i wonder how heavy that is.

stuart.
Well, water weighs what, 7pounds per gallon ? A tub is ABOUT 50 gallons, thats 350 pounds of water alone, plus whatever the tub abd frame weigh, I would guess 500 pounds give or take. . . . . .
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore,
Dream,
Discover!

Mark Twain

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: previously owned 83 GL1100A aspencade traded for a motorhome, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. now own-1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Post by roadwanderer2 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:49 pm

yeah, those old cast iron tubs are pretty heavy so, your talkin somewhere between 800-1000 + lbs once a person gets in it. thats not too bad. I've towed heaver things than that, but thats pretty neet. park in a rest area and fill it up and relax in it for about a half hour or so on a hot summer's day.

stuart.

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:18 pm

Water weighs 8 pounds per gallon. A licensed pilot is required to know these things.
(Gasoline weighs 6 pounds per gallon.)
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:17 pm

. . .. and a tank of Helium does not float.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:00 am

offcenter wrote:Water weighs 8 pounds per gallon. A licensed pilot is required to know these things.
(Gasoline weighs 6 pounds per gallon.)
okay smarty pants ! LOL Either way, the dang thing would be HEAVY TO TOW ! LOL
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
Explore,
Dream,
Discover!

Mark Twain

Honda Hobo
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SEY with a Hobo Trike Conversion

Post by Honda Hobo » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:33 am

Each gallon of gas pulls my Gold Wing 39 miles, but each gallon of gas only pulls my Gold Wing and trailer (loaded) about 34 miles. So pulling my trailer cost me an extra 3/4 gallon of gas every time I fuel up.
That's about $1.50 at today's prices. Pretty inexpensive for taking my stuff with me. Lets ride and see how many extra gallons I can burn....LOL

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Post by redial » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:41 am

In the imperial measurement world, 1 gallon of water weighs 10 pounds, fuel weighs a bit less, but then we have 20fl oz to the pint, whereas the American system only gives you 16 fl oz to make a pint. No wonder you only get around 30mpg :lol: , but then you pay so little for it.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

wingpilot08
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800-HPNA - 27,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse camping trailer
Darkside #1720
bikes owned:
1975 CB550-4 final mileage unknown
1982 Yamaha 650 Maximum 30,000 miles
1987 Yamaha XVZ-1300 Venture 109,000 miles
1996 Honda GL1500-SE 210,000 miles

Post by wingpilot08 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:26 am

I purchased a 1988 Bunkhouse Camper off of EBay back in 2008. Got a really good price for it, just $600. We have used it for every camping trip with our longest being 24 days and 6600 miles from GA to CA and back. Prior to the Bunkhouse we had a HF trailer with a cartop carrier.

Just after our trip to CA and back, I did replace the tent material on the Bunkhouse, so it should last for quite a while now.

Have since sold the White 96SE and purchased a red 2008 1800HPNA!
Attachments

08' GL1800-HPNA - Red 32,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse Trailer/Camper
Darkside #1720
bikes owned:
1975 CB550-4 final mileage unknown
1982 Yamaha 650 Maximum 30,000 miles
1987 Yamaha XVZ-1300 Venture 109,000 miles
1996 Honda GL1500-SE 210,000 miles

llenryb
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

Post by llenryb » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:06 pm

Well hey there, this will be my first post to the forums :)

I am looking at getting a trailer to pull behind my 1989 GL1500, I weigh 225 and my wife weighs "around" 180.
How much weight would it be safe to pull behind me in a trailer?

When would I have to look at a trailer with brakes? > than 1/2 the weight of the wing perhaps then get trailer brakes?

Any help / suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers.....

Brian B

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:13 pm

Basically a trailer weighing up to 400# is the threshold for stopping safely.
I've hauled MANY different weights of trailers behind my bikes.
So far 1500-ish LBS I've pulled safely a couple times now by my Wing and several times around 1300 LBS.
Behind my XS1100 I hauled one that weighed in right at 1,000 LBS and pulled it cross country for 15K miles.
Do I suggest you do it?
OH NO! You really have to understand the whole dynamics of that weight and what it will do in 'X' unknown situations. Looking WAY-way ahead is nearly paramount. Using tricks like 'peeking under approaching vehicles for feets' and understanding what other drivers heads and eyes mean when they start bobbling SURE do help.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

jherndon
Motorcycle: 1999 1500 goldwing SE

Post by jherndon » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:14 pm

peanut trailer i pull with my 1500
Attachments

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Post by RoadRogue » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:45 pm

llenryb wrote:Well hey there, this will be my first post to the forums :)

I am looking at getting a trailer to pull behind my 1989 GL1500, I weigh 225 and my wife weighs "around" 180.

When would I have to look at a trailer with brakes? > than 1/2 the weight of the wing perhaps then get trailer brakes?

Cheers.....

Brian B

First of all Welcome to the Forum. You have come to the right place for all your Wing info needs. I agree that 400# is a good point to add brakes to a trailer. It's not hard to exceed the 400# "limit" when loading up to go camping with the better half. I have pulled 700# with my rig several times. Let's just say that I have to be very aware of everything around me, I need to plan heavy braking well in advance.
When I build my next tent trailer it will have brakes regardless of what it ends up weighing, I like to camp in comfort and being very comfortable requires more gear. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

hjfisher
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I Interstate

Post by hjfisher » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:30 am

llenryb wrote:Well hey there, this will be my first post to the forums :)

Cheers.....

Brian B
Personally I'm putting a small electric trailer break box on my GL1100i. I'm rebuilding my old utility (4' x 8') from a 800 lbs max load to a 1500+ lbs load and i found a place to buy a complete 10" elec break axle fairly cheap and my only change will be to go from a 5 pin trailer plug to a 7 pin plug ( the 2 additional wires for the elec breaks ). To me being able to stop your load safely is the most important thing plus it cuts down on the ware and tare on the bike breaks.

hjfisher

Post by hjfisher » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:55 am

FM-USA wrote:
Al Waters wrote:On the first page of this discussion on August 6, 2012, themainviking shows a picture of his Micro Lite Mojo trailer and below it, the picture of a trailer that is all diamond plate where he discusses his preference of the lid closing feature. That trailer appears very similar to a Lumina XL motorcycle trailer.
Here is where I could use some help.

1. Does anyone have any experience/feedback with Lumina Aluminum trailers? Preferably the Lumina XL.
2. It appears that some trailers pulled by Gold Wings have a long or short tongue length. Is there a pulling or turning difference between the two?
3. Some trailers appear to be pulling a pretty good size payload. Do some of you run after market beefed up rear suspensions or go with the factory suspension and increase the settings (I have a 2009).
4. Do you feel strongly about a swivel coupler on the trailer tongue?
_____ I appreciate the help that I have found on this forum. Thank you very much, Al Waters
I build my own hitches and most of my trailers for hauling behind the bike. With only 2 wheels on the bike I want to be sure everything about the trailer is at specs and tolerances or BETTER. That usually means more base trailer weight but safety is #1 in my book, tho some wonders in the things I've done, LOL. BUT HEY, I'm still here, in one piece and still haul'n trailers.

1.) No experience.
2.) Short/long tongue, be sure the trailer don't hit your bags on a turn. Under about 300#, long/short not much difference. Over 300# I'd highly suggest a longer tongue and if over 400# I highly suggest trailer brakes. The closer the trailer is to the vehicle the more it can control said vehicle. Something to do with 'fulcrum'.
3.) Other than 'Progressive Suspension' there's no need for altering the suspension, it's pretty stout. Besides, a properly loaded trailer, the TW (tongue weight) will be at min ~20# to max ~80#.
4.) Swivel hitch is ya/no divided tho more say no. I've never experienced one. I use the normal style without problems. BUT, in 1 of my 2 accident experiences a non-swivel did save the bike from rolling over thus saving much more bike damage. My 1500 bag subframe suffered no damage.
In both incidences the tongue twisted and to me that's a much cheaper and easier fix. If a trailer is going to do flips & twists, it will produce more than just excitement in your handlebars. Basically the heavier the vehicle the more control it has over the trailer and with a longer tongue the vehicle has more control. Someone mentioned hitting a good size bump and their small trailer flipped on its side and they didn't know.
So far I've hauled ~600# cross country twice now behind my Wing (see above pix). My 1977 XS1100 I hauled a 1,000# trailer to California without incident... Well until the last mile from home, a drunk blowing a stop sign, but I seen it coming and took evasive maneuvers. We didn't touch but the wobble is what took me down, softly. That trailer was a standard tongue length and I now always make it longer. So far no wobbles but there's more to it than that.
In all my "HEAVY TRAILER" hauling experiences (thrice around 3/4 ton), in my general speaking (everyone is different), stay under ~700# gross weight trailer and not much higher than your Wings mirrors. Timid=MUCH less weight, adventurous=more weight, it's all about what you can handle.
Any trailer that's felt in your bars will give you fatigue but a properly balanced trailer, you'll wonder if it's still attached.
Off the topic mention: There is a difference in feel and control with a car tire vs. bike tire on the rear. I'm set on this DarkSide and won't go back if I can help it. I'm a touring rider and take curves cautiously.

HAPPY HAUL'N :)

You are righteous in your words of towing wisdom...

llenryb
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

Post by llenryb » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:06 pm

Thanks for the help everyone, I appreciate the input.

Cheers.

joeguenther

Post by joeguenther » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:12 pm

I can't believe nobody has posted pictues of a Leesure-lite trailer. We love our little tent trailer. We pulled one all across the continent from Calgary to Halifax via the Canadian side and then back home via the US side.
It is very well built - great quality & finish. It weighs about 250 lbs without luggage.
We store ALL our luggage in the trailer, and so the bike is much lighter and more flexible to carry day-trip items (camera, light hiking shoes & jackets, etc). It has been a simply great way to travel.
We are on our 2nd Leesure-lite trailer now. We upgraded to the "Excel" which is 6" wider, and LED lights. It also has a 7'x8' add-a-room that is large enough to enclose a picnic table if it rains, or creates a 2nd bedroom for the boys to join us
Attachments

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:41 pm

hjfisher wrote:You are righteous in your words of towing wisdom...
.. .. i humbly thank you.

I try to give sound advice, tho sometimes it's not the "normal" that everyone knows, but it is from my 'hands on' experiences where I have gained most of my knowledge... few times bruises. ;)

hjfisher

Post by hjfisher » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:07 pm

FM-USA wrote:

I try to give sound advice, tho sometimes it's not the "normal" that everyone knows, but it is from my 'hands on' experiences where I have gained most of my knowledge... few times bruises. ;)

lol...You sound like a fellow grad from the same school...of hard knocks... :D

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:17 pm

hjfisher wrote:
FM-USA wrote:

lol...You sound like a fellow grad from the same school...of hard knocks... :D
Well.. .. .. isn't that the kind you never forget?
;)

Few years back I came up with this phrase...
"If you must do something twice, be sure to do it wrong first."

`

wilco
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A

Post by wilco » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:47 pm

I have towed two trailers with my 1200 and 1800 Goldwings. The first was a "Burger King Box" on a HF trailer. It performed well for a $200 trailer.

My current trailer is a Besco trailer from the 1980's with a unique trailing arm suspension that I mount a Sears car topper on it. The trailer was originally designed to be towed by a Volkswagen Beetle and folds into a suitcase size for storage. I found the trailer to tows easily but the suspension requires the trailer to be loaded with ~100# to load the suspension to keep it from bouncing excessively.

I also have a Kwik Kamp that I picked up for $500 on Craigslist and I am repairing the canvas to use it for camping..
Attachments

Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:26 am

wilco wrote:My current trailer is a Besco trailer from the 1980's with a unique trailing arm suspension that I mount a Sears car topper on it. The trailer was originally designed to be towed by a Volkswagen Beetle and folds into a suitcase size for storage. I found the trailer to tows easily but the suspension requires the trailer to be loaded with ~100# to load the suspension to keep it from bouncing excessively.
Okay, That is freakin cool !
Explore,
Dream,
Discover!

Mark Twain

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:09 am

I picked up a Besco Trailer few years ago. My plan was to mount it up front on the main trailer, where the cooler usually goes. That way the main trailer can stay set up while we go riding with Bailey in his box on that Besco or out on a grocery run.
But alas... that little Besco's deck turned out to be to high and tires were near non existent.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Post by OldZX11Rider » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:19 am

Really liking this camping and trailer section! :D. Really like getting on here and looking at everyone's trailer and the way they use them.
Gives a shade tree mechanic ideas. I even looked up how to build a "brake" (I think that was what it was called) to bend aluminum diamond plate, (if I ever needed one).
Anyhow, please post more pictures guys! They're great and give inspiration to us non trailer draggers. :lol:
If you're building post pics of that too. :D

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: