Trailer build (or stuff I do in my spare time)


Information, ideas, experiences and help with camping, pulling a trailer and roughing it on your Goldwing
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
OldZX11Rider
Posts: 1207
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:25 am
Location: Garfield, Arkansas
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Re: Trailer build (or stuff I do in my spare time)

Post by OldZX11Rider » Wed May 11, 2016 8:26 am



Just looking at what you've done starts stirring up ideas I'm not sure an old shade tree mechanic should have. :lol:

I've thought of building a trailer, but I can't weld. Been trying to figure out a way to bolt everything together. Some RVs have a screwed together frame. Maybe I'll look into how they do that. :D

Anyhow, nice looking trailer! :D


For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

millerized
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:33 am
Location: Inwood, WV
Motorcycle: 99 GL1500SE
Contact:

Re: Trailer build (or stuff I do in my spare time)

Post by millerized » Wed May 11, 2016 11:21 am

OldZX11Rider wrote:Just looking at what you've done starts stirring up ideas I'm not sure an old shade tree mechanic should have. :lol:

I've thought of building a trailer, but I can't weld.
Seems like the perfect time to learn, don't it? ;)
That's what I do when I want to accomplish something I haven't done yet...read, watch a video, see if someone will let me watch them do it. Then I buy the equipment, (used or new, doesn't matter) which gives me the incentive to learn. If I can do it, great. If not (like photography...I f'n suck at photography...darkroom...top notch stuff...point/click stuff...no good), I can sell it and remind myself occasionally that I just wasn't ready for 'it' at that point in my life while putting the money into the next learning experience, or store it to try again later.
Today is the perfect day to start learning a new skill.

User avatar
OldZX11Rider
Posts: 1207
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:25 am
Location: Garfield, Arkansas
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Re: Trailer build (or stuff I do in my spare time)

Post by OldZX11Rider » Wed May 11, 2016 1:27 pm

Ah, you mean like teaching an old dog a new trick, except the old dog is also the teacher? :D
I reckon it couldn't hurt much to look up how to weld that aluminum. It sure makes a pretty frame besides being lightweight. :lol:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

User avatar
OldZX11Rider
Posts: 1207
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:25 am
Location: Garfield, Arkansas
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Re: Trailer build (or stuff I do in my spare time)

Post by OldZX11Rider » Thu May 19, 2016 2:52 pm

Looked it up and read quite a bit about it.
Then I had a bike problem. Suddenly priorities change. :lol:

But I haven't forgot about it, it's just been pushed back to a rear burner for a little while. :D
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

millerized
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:33 am
Location: Inwood, WV
Motorcycle: 99 GL1500SE
Contact:

Re: Trailer build (or stuff I do in my spare time)

Post by millerized » Thu May 19, 2016 8:44 pm

OldZX11Rider wrote:Looked it up and read quite a bit about it.
Then I had a bike problem. Suddenly priorities change. :lol:

But I haven't forgot about it, it's just been pushed back to a rear burner for a little while. :D
Life is funny like that sometimes. It'll be ready when you're ready.

User avatar
Subhunter76
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 10:02 pm
Location: Marlborough,ma
Motorcycle: 1994 GL 1500 aspencade with sidecar

Re: Trailer build (or stuff I do in my spare time)

Post by Subhunter76 » Fri May 20, 2016 7:50 am

That is one sweet trailer or tiny house. Looks like you used all the skills they taught me in the Navy and aircraft maintance school to build that. Which I had the space to make something like that.Nice work!!

millerized
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:33 am
Location: Inwood, WV
Motorcycle: 99 GL1500SE
Contact:

Re: Trailer build (or stuff I do in my spare time)

Post by millerized » Sat May 28, 2016 7:05 am

Subhunter76 wrote:That is one sweet trailer or tiny house. Looks like you used all the skills they taught me in the Navy and aircraft maintance school to build that. Which I had the space to make something like that.Nice work!!
There's definitely a lifetime of learning, and a whole lot of 'I wonder if this will work' kinda stuff. That's how I do thing...my old brain calls up my new brain, gets in a conference call with the lizard brain, the phrase 'hold my beer' comes out...and stuff like that pops out.

Now that the zombie brain is in the mix...well...it's never a dull moment. Like this thing pop out constantly:
(very light weight, under #150) The night video will be taken this weekend....green and white accent and flashing lights.









millerized
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:33 am
Location: Inwood, WV
Motorcycle: 99 GL1500SE
Contact:

Re: Trailer build (or stuff I do in my spare time)

Post by millerized » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:31 pm

Outside of a license plate, we're ready to roll.
Been to 83mph, little vibration in the bars but no hands off wobble. Forgot to add in the balancing beads in the tires. That'll get done this weekend when the new lug nuts come in.



User avatar
Wilcoy02
Posts: 911
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:37 pm
Location: Marengo, Ohio
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15


98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Re: Trailer build (or stuff I do in my spare time)

Post by Wilcoy02 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:07 pm

That is one nice trailer.

User avatar
RoadRogue
Posts: 2059
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:51 pm
Location: southern Okanogan BC, Canada
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: Trailer build (or stuff I do in my spare time)

Post by RoadRogue » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:40 pm

Very nice build, gives me some ideas when I go to build something like this one......... 8-)

Not sure where I found this pic
Not sure where I found this pic

Currently I am dragging around this one behind me

Closed up for towing
Closed up for towing


Opened up.
Opened up.

While this is a very functional tent trailer it is a little heavy to begin with, once fully loaded for extended tours it is down right heavy and the main reason I want to build my next one from scratch. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

FM-USA
Posts: 2720
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 8:40 am
Location: here, there
Motorcycle: mc

Re: Trailer build (or stuff I do in my spare time)

Post by FM-USA » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:02 am

SHARP and FUNCTIONAL! ` ` I like it.
But...
is Spock in there?


"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

User avatar
RoadRogue
Posts: 2059
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:51 pm
Location: southern Okanogan BC, Canada
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: Trailer build (or stuff I do in my spare time)

Post by RoadRogue » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:58 pm

Millerized, what grade of aluminium tubing did you use on the tent trailer? I'm getting the itch to build over the winter. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

User avatar
dwarven1
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:53 pm
Location: Starksboro, VT
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Trailer build (or stuff I do in my spare time)

Post by dwarven1 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:21 pm

millerized wrote:
12080300_153582841658665_2734353646808679352_o.jpg
Are you using an off-the-shelf inverter/UPS, or something you designed and built? I'm VERY interested in your solution as I need a CPAP to sleep, and I'd like to be independent of "shore power" if I decide to camp off-grid.

Would you be interested in sharing the schematic for your setup?

User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 2119
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: Trailer build (or stuff I do in my spare time)

Post by MikeB » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:25 pm

Your CPAP is most likely powered by an AC to DC power supply, I know mine is. And, the power supply output is 12 VDC. If you check your power supply you most likely will see that it is providing 12 VDC like mine is. You can power it from an automotive battery.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

User avatar
dwarven1
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:53 pm
Location: Starksboro, VT
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Trailer build (or stuff I do in my spare time)

Post by dwarven1 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:11 pm

MikeB wrote:Your CPAP is most likely powered by an AC to DC power supply, I know mine is. And, the power supply output is 12 VDC. If you check your power supply you most likely will see that it is providing 12 VDC like mine is. You can power it from an automotive battery.
No, actually, mine is powered from a 24VDC power brick rated at 5 amps (I use the new S9 with a humidifier); 12->24V adapters sell for $90. And I'm more concerned with not having to have a huge deep-cell battery on board but having enough for a night, which can then be recharged either from "shore power" or from a day's riding.

Thanks for trying to help, but I actually did know what I was asking. ;)

millerized
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:33 am
Location: Inwood, WV
Motorcycle: 99 GL1500SE
Contact:

Re: Trailer build (or stuff I do in my spare time)

Post by millerized » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:33 am

dwarven1 wrote:
millerized wrote:
12080300_153582841658665_2734353646808679352_o.jpg
Are you using an off-the-shelf inverter/UPS, or something you designed and built? I'm VERY interested in your solution as I need a CPAP to sleep, and I'd like to be independent of "shore power" if I decide to camp off-grid.

Would you be interested in sharing the schematic for your setup?
Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been working my @$$ off this year, pushing over 700hrs of OT and comp time since February. Been a long year with only 5 days off for riding that wasn't to/from work...that will finally end no more than 3hrs before a double hernia surgery on the 15th. Off the desk onto the table...Yeah...long damn year.

Anyhoo....
I used an old APC350 UPS that needed batteries. Just pulled the old ones out, wired in the bigger battery. I also got rid of the integral outlets on the back of the UPS and ran that wire to a power strip. Just a matter of moving wires around is all it ended up to be internally. But if all you're running off of it is a CPAP, a small low wattage inverter should work just fine. Because I wanted to go overboard, be a seamless power supply whether I was on campground power or out in the sticks, I went with the UPS.

I don't do schematics....simply because I never draw anything out. It just happens.... Pretty much when you open up a UPS, you'll see the wires where they go. The wires leading to the integral outlets from the circuit board went to a power strip. (optional if you didn't need more than the 4 outlets on the back of the UPS) The wires from the battery to the circuit board were replaced with longer ones that went to the bigger battery. Again, once you open it up you'll see what I'm talking about. A CPAP...stick to a small wattage inverter and save yourself the hassle...just use a low amp plug in battery charger as your shore power connection.

Yes, Spock is in there. Sucker started to stink, so he got the boot and camping supplies took his place. Got to use it only once this year, a 2XXXmi trip to/through Georgia in June. I hope to use it a bunch next year, but the surgery will dictate if I can even ride again. Possible hip joint damage when I popped the hernias...yeah, great ending to a great year :roll:

Aluminum used in 6061 .125" wall. I'll make the next one out of .0625 to save about 1/2 the weight of this one. Too heavy to be pulled by anything but the wing....and weight = functionality across different motorcycles. I'd built this to pull behind a 1000 Concours...but bought the wing when I figured that was not going to happen. The smaller zombie trailer is a perfect fit behind the connie. I have ideas for this year...but we'll see how work and healing do for me. I'm expecting a much lower workload at the jay oh bee this year. I've got riding to do.

I've got 4-6 weeks of do little to nothing time starting on the 16th...I'll come up with something else to take my time and money.

User avatar
dwarven1
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:53 pm
Location: Starksboro, VT
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Trailer build (or stuff I do in my spare time)

Post by dwarven1 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:24 am

millerized wrote: Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been working my @$$ off this year, pushing over 700hrs of OT and comp time since February. Been a long year with only 5 days off for riding that wasn't to/from work...that will finally end no more than 3hrs before a double hernia surgery on the 15th. Off the desk onto the table...Yeah...long damn year.

Anyhoo....
I used an old APC350 UPS that needed batteries. Just pulled the old ones out, wired in the bigger battery. I also got rid of the integral outlets on the back of the UPS and ran that wire to a power strip. Just a matter of moving wires around is all it ended up to be internally. But if all you're running off of it is a CPAP, a small low wattage inverter should work just fine. Because I wanted to go overboard, be a seamless power supply whether I was on campground power or out in the sticks, I went with the UPS.

I don't do schematics....simply because I never draw anything out. It just happens.... Pretty much when you open up a UPS, you'll see the wires where they go. The wires leading to the integral outlets from the circuit board went to a power strip. (optional if you didn't need more than the 4 outlets on the back of the UPS) The wires from the battery to the circuit board were replaced with longer ones that went to the bigger battery. Again, once you open it up you'll see what I'm talking about. A CPAP...stick to a small wattage inverter and save yourself the hassle...just use a low amp plug in battery charger as your shore power connection.
Sorry to hear about the health issues; I hope the surgery comes out well for you.

It never occurred to me to cannibalize a UPS! Oddly enough, I've got a 500VA unit that's about to be retired; not enough life in the batteries to keep the network and cell tower running during a long Vermont power outage! AND it makes an annoying beeping while power is off (I can clip that speaker out of the circuit once I open it up). I'm about to replace it with a new 1000VA unit.

Anyway, you've given me enough hints that I can take care of that on my own. Mostly. Three more questions, if you don't mind:
  • The item marked Main Power is a fuse holder (or breaker), right?
  • Are you set up to charge the batteries off the bike? I'm thinking that that would have to be some kind of manual switch to enable that if you are. If you're not, looks like your entire setup is completely separate from the bike (except for the running/turn/brake lights, of course).
  • And where did you source the switch panel and the outlet panels from? I like those - are they waterproof?

User avatar
dwarven1
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:53 pm
Location: Starksboro, VT
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Trailer build (or stuff I do in my spare time)

Post by dwarven1 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:06 pm

dwarven1 wrote:Three more questions, if you don't mind:
  • The item marked Main Power is a fuse holder (or breaker), right?
  • Are you set up to charge the batteries off the bike? I'm thinking that that would have to be some kind of manual switch to enable that if you are. If you're not, looks like your entire setup is completely separate from the bike (except for the running/turn/brake lights, of course).
Never mind the last one. Found the panel. http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Gang-Waterpro ... 2084154001

millerized
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:33 am
Location: Inwood, WV
Motorcycle: 99 GL1500SE
Contact:

Re: Trailer build (or stuff I do in my spare time)

Post by millerized » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:08 pm

dwarven1 wrote: Sorry to hear about the health issues; I hope the surgery comes out well for you.

It never occurred to me to cannibalize a UPS! Oddly enough, I've got a 500VA unit that's about to be retired; not enough life in the batteries to keep the network and cell tower running during a long Vermont power outage! AND it makes an annoying beeping while power is off (I can clip that speaker out of the circuit once I open it up). I'm about to replace it with a new 1000VA unit.

Anyway, you've given me enough hints that I can take care of that on my own. Mostly. Three more questions, if you don't mind:
  • The item marked Main Power is a fuse holder (or breaker), right?
  • Are you set up to charge the batteries off the bike? I'm thinking that that would have to be some kind of manual switch to enable that if you are. If you're not, looks like your entire setup is completely separate from the bike (except for the running/turn/brake lights, of course).
  • And where did you source the switch panel and the outlet panels from? I like those - are they waterproof?
Stupidity on my part...at work on a day off, tried to step up onto a desk and ended up with a double hernia and possible hip socket issues. 50yrs old, 160lbs and 5'8"...not a big guy and not in bad health. Just took a step my body wasn't ready to take. We'll either heal, or we won't. Not much I can do until everything is ready.

Sounds like you have a plan, and the pieces to make it happen.

Main power on the outside is just a large marine grade switch. The main fuse is inside to the right of the battery box. You could use a marine or trolling motor breaker, or just switch it. I'm a fan of going overboard with protection on large cables. Especially with something that could possibly move around.

No. Between the solar panel and the shore power, I don't have a power connection to the bike. I DO have a single 10ga wire available, but I never hooked it up. A diode in the system would prevent any issues with overcharging or back feeding, depending how you aligned the diode. But, no...no power connection between the 2. Lights only. I figured if I needed to jump or charge the battery on either end, there are cables on the bike to make that connection. Having a spare battery to jump off of is great. Having them both die when you needed them, not so much, so I kept them isolated.

Even the electric brakes are fed from the trailer battery, not on the bike itself. The controller gets it's braking signal from the brake light wire, and the rest in handled in the trailer. (controllers like to remain level and upright, otherwise bad things can sometimes happen....like hitting a corner while hitting bump...and the brakes lock. Not a fun thing to think about. The folks at etrailer and I had a few discussions about my thoughts and my plans. They'd never heard of locating the controller in the trailer, but in a controller that senses movement, it would nearly be mandatory. Trucks don't lean, bikes do.

Amazon is where I got most of the switches and guts. If you have a marine store nearby, you could probably source those parts there.

User avatar
dwarven1
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:53 pm
Location: Starksboro, VT
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Trailer build (or stuff I do in my spare time)

Post by dwarven1 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:31 pm

Thanks so much for your answers. It looked like you had a very nice setup, and I hate reinventing the wheel if I don't need to! I'm probably going to use a bunch of your ideas.

Given the CPAP I use, I'll probably wind up building (or getting one of my power supply engineer friends to design and I build) something to give me 24VDC from a 12 V battery onboard. Just need to figure out the right size battery to last at least a couple of nights.

Hope your surgery goes well. I can sympathize with having to live with consequences... had shoulder problems for over 30 years now courtesy of trying to play swordsman in the SCA. It was tons of fun while doing it... but it left me with a souvenir. My right shoulder. :(

millerized
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:33 am
Location: Inwood, WV
Motorcycle: 99 GL1500SE
Contact:

Re: Trailer build (or stuff I do in my spare time)

Post by millerized » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:14 pm

dwarven1 wrote:Thanks so much for your answers. It looked like you had a very nice setup, and I hate reinventing the wheel if I don't need to! I'm probably going to use a bunch of your ideas.

Given the CPAP I use, I'll probably wind up building (or getting one of my power supply engineer friends to design and I build) something to give me 24VDC from a 12 V battery onboard. Just need to figure out the right size battery to last at least a couple of nights.

Hope your surgery goes well. I can sympathize with having to live with consequences... had shoulder problems for over 30 years now courtesy of trying to play swordsman in the SCA. It was tons of fun while doing it... but it left me with a souvenir. My right shoulder. :(
Society for Constant Arthritis...yeah, I've heard of it ;)
Reinventing the wheel, while still round, has given us the constant need for forums to show our stuff off. I wish you luck on whatever diameter wheel you decide to invent.

FM-USA
Posts: 2720
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 8:40 am
Location: here, there
Motorcycle: mc

Re: Trailer build (or stuff I do in my spare time)

Post by FM-USA » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:35 pm

Would a pair of these would suffice your CPAP?
Storing several smaller ones fore and aft would balance the bikes weight.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ ... y&_sacat=0

I'm giving a N18L battery a try, but for now it's in dry storage until needed.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

User avatar
Uncle Fester
Posts: 1170
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:21 pm
Location: Bethany, Ok, right off Route 66 !
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Re: Trailer build (or stuff I do in my spare time)

Post by Uncle Fester » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:20 am

Hey all, I normally would NOT hijack a thread, but this is MY thread so HA ! LOL

Any way, I have been watching the talk about CPap machines and such, and came across this today, might be helpful !

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/airi ... technology#/
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore,
Dream,
Discover!

Mark Twain

FM-USA
Posts: 2720
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 8:40 am
Location: here, there
Motorcycle: mc

Re: Trailer build (or stuff I do in my spare time)

Post by FM-USA » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:05 pm

Reminds me of Charlie Chaplin.

$1,687,048 USD ???

Then I read the rest.

The video says the air pressure is VERY powerful.
Wonder... Wings rear shock pump? :?
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

HONDA'S
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:41 pm
Location: Lynden, Washington
Motorcycle: 1984GL1200I , 1982 GL500 I , 1972 CB100

Re: Trailer build (or stuff I do in my spare time)

Post by HONDA'S » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:24 am

Instead of rivets, would some of the glue they make today work ? I've used some to repair the fairing on my GL500. PO had cut speaker holes in it, which I patched up.



Post Reply