What do you use to tow your Wing?

Information, ideas, experiences and help with camping, pulling a trailer and roughing it on your Goldwing
  • Sponsored Links
al.ott
Motorcycle: goldwing

What do you use to tow your Wing?

Post by al.ott » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:24 am

My wife and i enjoy riding, but not for day after day after day. We want to ride in the many great places in the US besides the local ones. What do you all use to tow your Wing to a new location for local riding? We want to drive to place 1, stay at a B&B or hotel, ride the next morning then trailer up and drive to place 2 for the next adventure. This would be some great summer trips, but need to know what to put my Wing on to travel safely.

Thanks

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: What do you use to tow your Wing?

Post by tfdeputydawg » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:04 pm

The ideal unit is an enclosed trailer.
Next would be an open trailer w/a nose guard.

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:13 pm

I don't need to tow my Wing.
It runs just fine. :lol:
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by themainviking » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:45 am

If, and I repeat, IF I take my wing in a trailer, it is for a period of time, such as the winter in Arizona. In this case, I have a 34 foot toy hauler. It works quite well as a bike trailer as well as the B&B or motel accomodations all rolled into one. Pretty much anything else, and I just ride there with a small tent trailer behind me. It is all about the journey, doncha know.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

al.ott

Post by al.ott » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:28 am

I hope to get some additional suggestions of actual make and model of trailer to consider.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Post by OldZX11Rider » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:03 pm

As has already been mentioned, an enclosed trailer would be best. Being able to put your bike up, out of sight, with pad locked doors would offer the most security and peace of mind.
Also, if the weather turns bad, you can park your ' Wing in it's own mini garage out of the weather. ;)
Of course you'll also have to secure your trailer to your tow vehicle with a lock.
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Alan_Hepburn
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

Post by Alan_Hepburn » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:20 pm

How about some suggestions for an inexpensive, lightweight, trailer capable of handling a sidecar rig that needs 6 feet of clearance side-to-side? Our motorhome has a 5,000 lb towing restriction so lightweight is needed, and the width restriction is what kills most trailers - if they boast of a 6 foot platform then the tailgate is usually somewhat narrower...
Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

themainviking
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)

Post by themainviking » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:35 am

Alan_Hepburn wrote:How about some suggestions for an inexpensive, lightweight, trailer capable of handling a sidecar rig that needs 6 feet of clearance side-to-side? Our motorhome has a 5,000 lb towing restriction so lightweight is needed, and the width restriction is what kills most trailers - if they boast of a 6 foot platform then the tailgate is usually somewhat narrower...
They make covered trailers up to about 7.5 feet wide, which can have a ramp door 7 feet. I have a seven foot wide Continental (18L X 7W) that I use as a garage for the bikes. The ramp door is 6.5 wide. It might be a bit tight for your needs, but the 7.5 wides should fit the requirement. I bought this thinking I would use it to tow a few bikes to Daytona in the weather period when we cannot ride out of Canada, but so far, it has not moved one inch since parking it, LMAO

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Post by tfdeputydawg » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:47 am

I will tell you one to avoid! The list of defects in the time I owned it and the number of times it was returned to the factory are numerous and post would be to long to relate all.
The trailer was a Haulmark Lo Hauler.
I will tell you one of the many:
Started to load the 2 bikes(it was a 7' wide unit)only to find the wheel chocks had been mounted to close to the walls of the trailer. Could not load the bikes at all.
I would think it would not take a genius to make a template to lay on the trailer floor to locate the spots to drill the holes, repeatedly in the same place on every trailer built.
What I ended up with was a CargoMate. Very nice trailer. Rear ramp door, curb side door, extended height, spare tire. Used E-trak for the tie downs which allowed infinite placement of the tie strap anchors to allow hauling more than just the bike!

al.ott

Post by al.ott » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:35 am

Thanks deputy, i will look at the cargomate.

ksdalet
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 Lehman trike

Post by ksdalet » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:49 am

I only haul my Wing when having to travel in inclimate weather. The one I have used for 3 years is made by The Ultimate Trailers. It is easy to load/unload and does not "bounce" my Wing around even on rough surfaces. It is an air ride trailer with self leveling and an onboard compressor that maintains the correct travel height for the load. Although not cheap, it is the best for my money. They build open or enclosed trailers. check it out here: http://the-ultimate-trailers.com/
Ride when you can and haul when you can't.

seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Post by seabeechief » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:12 pm

We bought an Aluma TK1 to haul our GL1800 Trike. It is without exception the best open trailer I have ever owned. Unloaded, it is easy to maneuver by hand to hook up to your truck/suv. The pull out ramp is plenty easy to ride up on with the trike, and if used for a two wheeler, you have plenty of room to put your feet down on the ramp as you ride up on the trailer. It pulls like a dream and has an enclosed nose to store straps and other gear. I cannot recommend Alum enough. The TK1 is a little pricey at around $3k, but barring an unforeseen catastrophe it should last forever. Aluma has several different models to choose from. Give them a look.

Chief
Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

kinetic
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
2004 ST1300

Post by kinetic » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:31 am

I use a Chariot single bike with ramp and torsion axles. I recommend it highly. $300 from craigslist. The ramp slides under the trailer and is about as wide as the trailer. Makes loading so much easier especially since it sits so low (drop axles). I also have a Pace American Outback model (6x12) that holds the bike and a few other things. Also the mandatory ramp door. I no longer want to deal with portable ramps like from HF. I had those before on a HF tilting trailer. Even with four ramps wide, it was too narrow and always stressful. With my other proper trailers, no worries. Finally, I have another Pace American 20x8, also with ramp door. Notice the theme. This one fits 4 full dressers. But for you, I think the Chariot would be the best value. Tows well behind anything as the trailer is around 300 lbs.

coolrunning
Motorcycle: 1999 Honda GL1500A Goldwing Aspencade
50th Anniversary
1970 Honda 350SL (first love)

Post by coolrunning » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:53 am

I just bought a Kendon single rail folding trailer for my GL1500. It weighs only 350 pounds, has torsion axles, 13" wheels, high speed radial tires, 6 tie down points, and when not in use it can be stood upright for garage storage. The deck is diamond plate and it has fenders, tail lights and turn signals and is low enough to the ground that loading on the short ramp is a cinch. It is also equipped with a substantial wheel chock that firmly plants the front wheel. The hitch accepts the 2" ball of my receiver hitch. I am well below the towing limit of my Chrysler Town & Country van (3600 lbs.), and it tracks very true behind it. I am currently researching security devices designed to prevent thieves from taking the trailer when I am out riding. Apparently, trailers are easy to steal.
Coolrunning

Alan_Hepburn
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

Post by Alan_Hepburn » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:25 pm

Kendon makes a great trailer! WE had a dual rail model for towing our Ural and it was a perfect fit. Alas, our 'Wing with the sidecar is a lot wider and wouldn't fit on the Kendon so now we have to find something else...
Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

dougv
Motorcycle: 97 GL1500SE

Post by dougv » Tue May 09, 2017 10:52 am

First, you need to consider your tow vehicle and allowable tow rating. My wife has a 2009 Santa Fe with the V6 and tow package, it's rated for 3500#'s. A few years ago I towed a Kawasaki VN900 on an open trailer from Ct to Florida and it towed OK. The weight was probably under 1800# between the trailer and bike but I could feel the combo on the hills.

I have a GL1500 trike now that weighs about 1300# and the trailer wasn't large enough so went to a Sure-Trac 6' X 10' open trailer. I also had bought a new to me 2015 Chevy Silverado with the 5.3 V8 and it tows it with no problems, hills or no hills. Did the same trip to Florida the first of April, averaged about 17 MPG with speeds typically in the 65 to 75 MPH range, combined weight was around 2300#'s. The truck has 3.08 gears and is rated to tow 5200#'s but unloaded I have seen MPG in the 26 to 28 range.

I was thinking about an enclosed trailer but wanted to keep the gas mileage up as much as possible. Sure-Tracs are good trailers, well made, the gate is spring loaded and it can be opened or closed with one finger. It came with sealed LED lighting and the center jack is rear set so the tailgate will not hit it. I think I paid around $1700.00 last November.

I was concerned about towing all that way and being open, I went with a Geza Cover that can be used while towing and it worked great too.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by harvey01 » Tue May 09, 2017 5:20 pm

I just want to echo dougv's comment that the first thing you want to determine is what can your tow vehicle safely handle? Does it have a hitch receiver already installed? What weight is the hitch rated for and what weight is the tow vehicle rated for? Along with this how far do you intend to tow, tires vary depending on size and type as to how much weight they can handle. I would want a larger trailer if planning to two cross country than just to the next state.

How much do you want to spend? Do you want something that will carry more than just your bike, such as tools, camping gear, additional clothes or what? Obviously an enclosed trailer is the best option for protection and security. But can you tow one?

Kendon makes a foldup trailer that will haul your bike but it is the bare essential. There are a lot of utility trailers available that can be easily adapted to hauling a motorcycle with the addition of a front wheel chock, and several points to hook up tie downs. Just be sure the trailer is strong enough in those points to deal with the weight of a Wing.

I suspect there are several youtube videos about outfitting a trailer and the many different ways to tie a bike down for safe trailering. Just don't use the sidestand and use a front wheel chock.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

argosybob
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate, 1983 GL1100A Aspencade, 1985 California Sidecar Wingliner Trailer

Post by argosybob » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:02 am

I know I'm late to the party with this one...

My wife and I have a 20', 1972 Airstream travel trailer. We used to tow it with a 1999 Suburban, but when that finally died at 240K miles, we replaced it with a 2016 Nissan NV2500 high top cargo van. I bought a Condor chock system for inside the van, and now we can get a Gold Wing in the truck and tow the Airstream - a perfect combination! The 5.6L V8 in the Nissan has plenty of reserve power for towing, even considering the bike inside the truck. At 6'3" tall, I appreciate being able to stand up straight inside the van. The downside is the gas mileage, but I don't actually drive it all that often as I live on a bike except when there is snow/ice on the roads.

dougv

Post by dougv » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:20 am

That's a thought for traveling and still have the toys....we have a 30 ft Citation trailer but it's been on a site for the last 15 years or so and it's big to tow. The van sounds like a good idea and better than a toy hauler, I wonder what the interior width is and if a trike would fit in it?

argosybob
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate, 1983 GL1100A Aspencade, 1985 California Sidecar Wingliner Trailer

Post by argosybob » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:46 pm

It might fit. I'll measure the interior if you like. I know that from the back of the center console to the front of the back doors, I have a little over 9 feet.

***edit*** The NV2500 HD has a tow capacity of about 9500 lbs

dougv

Post by dougv » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:00 pm

Thats OK, not something I would be doing now anyway, the length might be tight, my trailer has a 6'X10' bed and I have a chock in the front even though it's a trike, there isn't too much room between the back of the trike and the gate....the front end is raked so it pushes out the front tire compared to a normal Goldwing.

Thinking about traveling with a trailer was never an issue years ago but today with the gas cost and also cost to stay in a park it's probably less expensive to stay in a hotel. Most RV parks are more per night, not like when it was $10.00 a night!!!

themainviking
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)

Post by themainviking » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:13 pm

I just bought a 5X8 Enclosed Cargo Trailer with a V nose, and put a wheel chock up there. The GL1800 fits perfectly, stands up nice and tall so I can attach the straps to her, and rides very comfortably inside. The Ramp door closes and leaves about 2 inches of spare space at the back. I use six tie downs with two on the lower triple trees, two on the mid frame and two pulling back from the rear crash bars. With this, and the truck camper I just purchased, I can go away on those super wet weekends and take the bike, so when it is dry and sunny where I go, I can ride the bike like a weeney, and not get wet. The trailer has a shelf with a cargo net above the bike in the nose to store helmets, gloves, etc. It has hooks on the walls for jackets, and to hang up the ratchet straps when not in use. I have soft loops for every place I want to tie down from.

Ravyn
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800, 2000 Kawasaki w650, 2010 Yamaha xt250, 1972 Honda ct-90 dual range tranny, 1968 Honda Express 102 original miles, 1982 Honda cx500 custom, 1972 Bultaco Alpina,
1980 Honda cx500 turbo..."for sale" My latest bike is a 1994 GL1500SE, side car rig.

Post by Ravyn » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:34 pm

I don't tow my wings. I ride them. That's what they were made for. Only Harley riders tow there bikes. hahahahahaha ;)

themainviking
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)

Post by themainviking » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:34 am

Rayvn wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:34 pm
I don't tow my wings. I ride them. That's what they were made for. Only Harley riders tow there bikes. hahahahahaha ;)
Wait till you get some years on ya and then you can eat them words, :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ravyn
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800, 2000 Kawasaki w650, 2010 Yamaha xt250, 1972 Honda ct-90 dual range tranny, 1968 Honda Express 102 original miles, 1982 Honda cx500 custom, 1972 Bultaco Alpina,
1980 Honda cx500 turbo..."for sale" My latest bike is a 1994 GL1500SE, side car rig.

Post by Ravyn » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:43 am

themainviking wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:34 am
Rayvn wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:34 pm
Wait till you get some years on ya and then you can eat them words, :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well I'd be willing to bet I am a tad bit older then you. So I do have plenty of years on me. I have been riding for 56 years and I am 72 years old and I don't need to tow my wings anywhere. I put about 30,000 miles a year on my bikes. Most of those on my wings. ;)