Bushtec versus Escapade

Information, ideas, experiences and help with camping, pulling a trailer and roughing it on your Goldwing
toanogreen
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800 with NAV and ABS, level 3
Previously Owned:
1999 GL1500 Goldwing SE
1989 GL1500 Goldwing

Bushtec versus Escapade

Post by toanogreen »

I'm looking to buy a trailer for my goldwing. I like the style and looks of the Escapade and kind of like the Bushtec. I know both are on the upper end of the price line, but I have found a couple of used ones at decent (for me) prices. I do want a good smooth, fairly maintenance free quality trailer. Thoughts

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
184K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
14K Miles

Re: Bushtec versus Escapade

Post by MikeB »

My two cents, Escapade over Bushtec.

To keep the wolves at bay, I've sent you a Private Message to explain my preference.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 1968 - 1986 / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 1986 - 1992. Retired
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 1992 - 2014
Retired in Tacoma, WA
harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: Bushtec versus Escapade

Post by harvey01 »

I am not worried about the wolves, and I prefer the Bushtec over just about anything else. I have towed one probably more that 120,000 miles since 2005 and all around the USA. I have had no problems(well, there was the time I forgot to lock the lock and it flew off and got scuffed up. Still works fine). I like the Bushtec hitch and pin and heim joint, and really like the air suspension system. If the trailer is light you set at one level and if fully loaded you add more air. And to make it really simple, you adjust according to the lean of the trailer wheels. I only put a guage on it when starting out to then keep it at that level.

Many don't like the tires as you can not buy them at a Walmart. Frankly I like the idea of buying a 6 ply tire that will handle the weight. I get about 50-60,000 miles from a set. If you are worried about punctures to the tube and don't carry a tube repair kit, then you can usually get next day shipping from Bushtec. I have heard complaints about their customer service but I have had no problems and I have contacted them several times to get additional farkles and so forth for my trailer.

If money is not a controlling item you might look at the Tailwind. I can't afford it but they do tow fantastically and carry a lot of stuff. The builder, Tom Finch, is a great guy and quite a motorcyclist!

If funding is real tight you might also look at the Neosho. It is a great little trailer and does not cost an arm and leg.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often