Trailer weight Demo.

Information, ideas, experiences and help with camping, pulling a trailer and roughing it on your Goldwing
littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Trailer weight Demo.

Post by littlebeaver »

I found this on the facebooks and thought many of you fella's would like it.... Just scroll down until you see the video ready to play....
:lol: http://legendarycarsmag.com/simple-demo ... oad-front/

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: Trailer weight Demo.

Post by harvey01 »

That is a very interesting video and will certainly make you think.

Not being an engineer I suspect there is more involved in the dynamics of what is happening than just weight. It seems that too much weight in the front of the trailer can also raise the front end of the bike. Not a great situation.

I suspect the location of the trailer axle also plays a big part in the handling of the trailer as well as the way it is loaded. And probably the length of the tongue relative to the location of the wheels as well as the weight.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

harvey01 wrote:That is a very interesting video and will certainly make you think.

Not being an engineer I suspect there is more involved in the dynamics of what is happening than just weight. It seems that too much weight in the front of the trailer can also raise the front end of the bike. Not a great situation.

I suspect the location of the trailer axle also plays a big part in the handling of the trailer as well as the way it is loaded. And probably the length of the tongue relative to the location of the wheels as well as the weight.
Welcome back, Beav! Haven't seen you in a while!

Having too much weight on the tongue can cause the front wheel of the bike to get light, yes.

What you're really looking at here is basically a pendulum, like a clock. When you have too much of the weight in the back of the trailer, the energy in the pendulum exceeds the damping potential of the rest of the tow vehicle/trailer system, and you get negative dynamic stability.

Lengthening the tongue also helps, in that it makes the moment of the rear of the trailer relative to the axle much shorter than the moment of the front of the trailer (from hitch to axle), which gives the tow vehicle much more resistance against lateral diversions, which damps those motions quickly. Think about it: If the tongue was 20 feet long, you would never be able to get the trailer to swing from side to side, because the tow vehicle has so much power (giant lever between hitch and axle) over damping it. You could probably hold onto it with your hands and damp it!

I love this physics stuff. :)
dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

The demo is revealing however it applies more to a car/truck than it does a motorcycle. See title of the video.
Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1500F6C Valkyrie
1982 CX500 Turbo (Historic registration - finally)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Post by Aussie81Interstate »

Relative to the mass of the towing vehicle and the total weight of the trailer also forms part of the equation.. and would apply to both cars and motorcycles, but has a slightly more pronounced effect on motorbikes because of two wheels in line instead of 4. All the same having towed a few different trailers behind 3 different bikes - it all depends on the tongue weight to total capacity of the trailer and effective load balancing when you pack it up. Had the wobbles a few times with a badly loaded trailer (my fault), and a fibreglass tall sided advertising trailer - which was good to tow but suffered badly from side winds when travelling above 60mph. Behind the car the trailer was perfect in the same situations.
littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Post by littlebeaver »

Well,,,, I suppose you guys will know it's me when you see a guy riding down the road with the front wheel in the air toting a trailer
. :lol: :shock: ...I posted this just for fun....thought it was a neat demo...I have not had any issues with too much weight on either end... I do like how this guy used a treadmill for his demo... :lol: I would have put a little Gumbie on the trailer... :lol: