Camping Trip Planning Advice.

Information, ideas, experiences and help with camping, pulling a trailer and roughing it on your Goldwing
  • Sponsored Links
captdecker
Motorcycle: 89 Gl1500
2006 GL1800HPN ABS
Kemp Kamp trailer

Re: Camping Trip Planning Advice.

Post by captdecker » Mon May 01, 2017 10:45 pm

While you maybe on the young side for a senior pass you can get a Annual Pass cost is about 80 but two parks maybe three it will have paid for itself leavening the rest free so to speak.
More so in the Midwest there are a lot of towns that have parks that have camping in them, also check info on fairgrounds. I will be going on a month long trip this Sept. Camping most of it with a popup trailer. Yes I will be in Ohio on the 21-25 for the meet hope to meet a lot of new people.

kinetic
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
2004 ST1300

Post by kinetic » Tue May 02, 2017 8:03 pm

My 6 cents.

Make reservations the first time, but be sure about your mileage. That worked for me. After struggling to reach some accommodations on time, it made me realize what I valued more. Knowing where I'll stay, or being able to change my mind. At least, I had accommodations at the end of each day.

Over do the tent size. I use an REI 6 man tent. Goes up relatively quickly. I can stand in most of it and fit a queen sized mattress. Good for me and the wife, great for me alone. If you have a trailer, go 4 to 6 man tent. If not, get a large 2 man tent. It's great being able to keep all your gear at hand when the weather is bad.

Packing. I bought a used HF trailer as my starter trailer. I like it and don't feel the need to spend $2000 on the nicer ones. Do the mods people recommend. I can fit two spare tires (bike front tire and trailer tire) under it and lots of stuff in it. Add a cooler to the tongue. With a trailer, you can bring a ton of comforts. If you don't have a trailer, then pack and repack several times a few weeks before your trip. If you want to stay in a hotel, then stay in a hotel. Don't let us pressure you. I do a mix. Sometimes it's nice to have a dry room and a real bed. Helps build up endurance for the last part of the trip.

Misc random suggestions. Advice is a strong word.
1. Sit on the bike on center stands and try to reach everything you need to reach while riding. Toll, GPS, bandana, water, passport, etc. Adjust as necessary. Build or buy mounts for everything. They are worth it.
2. Pack all the tools to handle what you are competent with. I have all the tools for tire changes and balancing. Practiced at home first. You may not feel the need to change your own tire--that's just an example.
3. Run 12v or USB chargers to the trunk and trailer. Takes an hour. So worth it.
4. Invest in a quick release GPS. My cable stays with the base, the head unit comes with me at stops. I have a locking RAM assembly but haven't installed it yet.
5. Highway pegs! My old knees can't take being bent too long.
6. Cable to lock your trailer at the campsite or in emergencies. Be able to truly lock and secure your trailer.
7. Pack based on a combination of most frequently used vs need to get to in a hurry.
8. Treat mishaps as part of the adventure.

Enjoy!

Old Wing Man
Motorcycle: 2000 Goldwing SE

Post by Old Wing Man » Wed May 03, 2017 9:24 am

Of all the stuff folks packed up, I see no mention of clothing other than rain gear. Do you guys wear the same clothes for a week or what? Clothing is what usually takes up the most room. I see food storage bags packed, but food can always be bought along the way for a day or two of consumption if you want to cook out or my preference is to just stop along the way for a meal that I can sit down, relax and stretch a bit. To me, setting up a tent would be about all I would want to do after a long day of ridding and at my age (almost 70) a motel bed looks much better than a sleeping bag on hard, cold ground.
I can certainly see how younger folks would enjoy camping, I did my share with my kids when I was much younger and travelled by car so we could carry all the necessities for a good cookout at the nearby lakes.

I wish I could have afforded the luxury of just hitting the open road back when my body was in good enough shape to enjoy it.

CAMP ON FELLOW BIKERS!!!

someone548
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing Aspencade

Post by someone548 » Wed May 03, 2017 6:41 pm

Hi everyone,
Just an update. I've decided against reservations. I'm just going to go out there and hit it. I don't honestly think I'll end up not finding a spot to put up a tent, but I am going to give myself a daily cut off time to allow extra travel for a site if need be. The last time I was out, I paid a guy with a concrete RV park 5 dollars to let me pitch my small tent in his little grassy area.

I did get a good tent. After some research and suggestions here, I went with an REI tent. I went for a larger tent for comfort. REI kingdom 4 It is going to take up quite a bit of space, but I believe I can get creative with compression bags on some of it. I have a very large bag I'm going to have on the rear seat that should be large enough to make up for the extra space taken by my tent. A trailer would be nice, but I'm just not there yet. I have a full size air mattress I'll have with me.

I will try to access thing sitting on the bike. Good idea. Can't do water though, full face helmet :) I really just need a GPS solution, but I may not figure that out before I leave. Longer trips I've just been checking maps on my phone and remembering the highways and watching signs. I have 3 small USB power packs for charging things and I have purchased the battery tender plug to USB charger adapter for emergencies. Highway pegs have been on my list for some time. One of these days. I'm going to do day trips this weekend and next weekend to practice and see what to adjust. I'm also going to play with different loading configurations and the like. I've also been practicing setting up my tent. It is a little difficult with one person due to the size, but I'm working on my methodology.

My budget for my trip has enough padding to cover some motel stays if I really want, so no problem there. Again

2 weeks 2 days and counting.

someone548

Post by someone548 » Wed May 03, 2017 6:43 pm

Old Wing Man wrote:Of all the stuff folks packed up, I see no mention of clothing other than rain gear. Do you guys wear the same clothes for a week or what? Clothing is what usually takes up the most room. I see food storage bags packed, but food can always be bought along the way for a day or two of consumption if you want to cook out or my preference is to just stop along the way for a meal that I can sit down, relax and stretch a bit. To me, setting up a tent would be about all I would want to do after a long day of ridding and at my age (almost 70) a motel bed looks much better than a sleeping bag on hard, cold ground.
I can certainly see how younger folks would enjoy camping, I did my share with my kids when I was much younger and travelled by car so we could carry all the necessities for a good cookout at the nearby lakes.

I wish I could have afforded the luxury of just hitting the open road back when my body was in good enough shape to enjoy it.

CAMP ON FELLOW BIKERS!!!
My plan personally is to bring 3-days or so worth of clothes and hit a laundry mat every few days. Will also give me some charge things. I'm 25 so I've got years left before I give it up. Honestly though, it isn't that I really like camping, it's just less expensive than hotels. I'm not exactly in my high earning years, so I have to be extra careful how I get my travelling fix as it were.

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour

Post by Dusty Boots » Wed May 03, 2017 10:22 pm

Synthetic clothing (think convertible nylon hiking pants, nylon hiking/fishing shirts etc) pack real small, are light, easy to rinse out and dry very quickly. They also reduce bug bites. I also find the pants far more comfortable than jeans, which has those large seams running through the crotch area!!

The bigger the tent, the harder/longer it takes to set up and takes up more 'real estate', (which might be a problem on some of the smaller tent pads you might run across at some campgrounds) the larger the 'sail area' for the wind to catch! Did you get the 'garage' for that tent? Good way to have extra room while sitting out a rain storm etc

I got a fella that hangs out over on the ADV forum who makes custom bags to your specs to make me a gear bag for the rear seat which I designed and he was fairly reasonably priced and workman ship was very good! If interested, I can put you in contact with him

I have also used a trunk rack bag tied onto the rear seat as well with decent results.

Good luck with keeping air in your choice of a sleeping mattress. I've always found they lose air when the temps fall and will eventually spring a leak and go totally flat after a few uses. They are also not insulated, which will suck the heat out of your body and will provide a chilly night's sleep. They are also rather bulky/heavy and require a pump to inflate. They do provide a comfortable sleep when things/temps are right
I prefer to use an insulated air pad which is compact/light and comfortable to sleep on. Has it's own built in hand pump to inflate it in about 1 1/2 minutes.

Wally World used to sell a rebranded Rand McNally road atlas for cheap. I used to see them in the stores, but I haven't seen any for a couple of years now. I think that now you have to order them on-line. (?) Great to have along to study/plan your next day's route and to get a sense of the overall area, which is hard to do with a GPS, or an app. I use a combination of Google Maps, road atlas and my GPS for laying out my routes. The routes with the green dots are the scenic routes!

Oh yes, I almost forgot!
A friend of mine is building/selling tank bags exclusively for the 1500s. He got the rights (and CAD files for the mounting bracket) from the owner of FireCreek Accessories, who originally sold them. Carl ( a member here) has done a pretty good job with them. His are 'electrified'. 8-)
I can't even imagine riding without my original Firecreek tank bag as they are so handy. I've had mine for over 8 yrs/300,000 kms now. I keep my cell phone, camera, cigarettes, snacks, bottle of Gatorade, pad and pen, wallet etc in it and they are all close to hand. Extremely useful item for touring.

someone548

Post by someone548 » Thu May 04, 2017 11:04 am

Dusty,
Did not get the garage...yet. The tent floor is 8.4' by 8.4' I didn't really think it would be an issue but I've never measured a tent pad honestly.

Don't need anything custom just yet. The bag for the rear seat I'm going to use will probably suit me for at least a little while.

I realize there are probably better options that an air mattress, but I'm using what I have. I could go out and buy the best of everything, but then I wouldn't have any money left to actually go anywhere.

That tank bag looks interesting, but it looks like it would scratch and damage the radio area over time. It also seems to make the radio very hard to access. I like my tunes so I don't think that will work for me. I might come up with my own solution for that though. A small skinny bag looks like it could be mounted in the area above the radio and below the ignition. I'll probably do something more like that.

Thanks for all the help. I wish I could just go out and buy everything I might need, but my budget doesn't allow for that given the cost of a lot of this stuff.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Post by littlebeaver » Thu May 04, 2017 12:36 pm

I really enjoyed this read.... I have found that when I camp out it is so very helpful to get yourself a good headlamp, having free hands to do things is most helpful...
...Nice thread.... :D

someone548

Post by someone548 » Thu May 04, 2017 1:01 pm

littlebeaver wrote:I really enjoyed this read.... I have found that when I camp out it is so very helpful to get yourself a good headlamp, having free hands to do things is most helpful...
...Nice thread.... :D
I have heard many others say this as well. I did get one to bring along!

Dusty Boots

Post by Dusty Boots » Thu May 04, 2017 2:08 pm

Actually it does not scratch the radio area and you still have easy access to the volume and tone buttons while riding. For the other buttons, you have to raise the tank bag up, slightly. I don't think I have any clear side shots of the bag while mounted that show you the access to those buttons
I hear ya about tunes while riding. Either the radio, or my MP3 player is playing through my headsets 90 - 95% of the time while I'm riding! :mrgreen:

If you like camp fires - cotton balls covered in Vaseline make excellent fire starters and scrunch down very small in a zip lock baggie.
Using a plastic grocery bags makes easy work getting into your rain pants without having to struggle over/removing your boots.

Corkster52
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Post by Corkster52 » Thu May 04, 2017 2:39 pm

littlebeaver » Thu May 04, 2017 1:36 pm

I have found that when I camp out it is so very helpful to get yourself a good headlamp, having free hands to do things is most helpful..
l..

I have spent a number of hours trying to find a honest review of the best headlamp, but am still searching. Does anyone have a strong liking to a particular one?

someone548

Post by someone548 » Thu May 04, 2017 5:11 pm

Just wondering, does anyone carry spare alternators with them too? I notice in the "has your goldwing ever left you stranded" thread, there are many alternator failures.

someone548

Post by someone548 » Sat May 06, 2017 12:15 am

Doing a practice overnighter tomorrow to work out the kinks as it were. Will let everyone know how it goes!

Old Wing Man
Motorcycle: 2000 Goldwing SE

Post by Old Wing Man » Sat May 06, 2017 7:16 am

someone548 wrote:Just wondering, does anyone carry spare alternators with them too? I notice in the "has your goldwing ever left you stranded" thread, there are many alternator failures.
My opinion is that most alternator failures is due to the owner adding a lot of heavy electrical draw components or in many cases just putting on too darned many lights. Goldwings already have more than sufficient lights so adding dozens more doesn't help with longevity of the charging system.
Keeping the bike near original will save that alternator.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by harvey01 » Sat May 06, 2017 10:08 am

" Can't do water though, full face helmet"

My solution is a Hydration pack mounted on the back seat)on top of stuff if necessary) with a tube to my mouth and one of those bite(squeeze) ends. I slip it up under the bottom of the helmet. I clip the hose to my jacket so it will stay in place and then just move it into the correct position when thirsty.

If I have the ability I will fill the bag with water and freeze overnight and then have cold to warm water till I drain it dry. If I cannot freeze then I fill with ice and add just enough water to top off.

Much easier to stay hydrated than stopping hourly for a drink.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter » Sat May 06, 2017 9:22 pm

someone548 wrote:Just wondering, does anyone carry spare alternators with them too? I notice in the "has your goldwing ever left you stranded" thread, there are many alternator failures.
It seems to me that the alternator failures were far more common on the older
1000, 1100, and 1200 models where the alternator was part of the engine.
The 1500 with their separate alternator don't seem to be bothered by that
problem as much.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

someone548

Post by someone548 » Sun May 07, 2017 9:10 pm

An update on my trial run this weekend. It started out a little damp.

But It eventually got pretty nice out. Made it to camp, setup, and relaxed.

Quite pretty.

Here's how I packed.
The trunk had my guylines, tent, rain fly, tarp, poles, firearm, stakes, basic dental stuff, and extra boots. I still have some left over space here.

The left saddlebag had my "road bag" which contains things like extra tools, fuses, relays, tape, zip ties, headlamp, flashlight, and three USB battery chargers for phone. Each can do 5-10 full phone charges. My clothes are in this bag as well as some entertainment times(tablet, headphones, bluetooth speaker). I also had some spare trash bags, bungees, drinking water, and some cleaner for the windshield.

The right saddle bag had riding thermals, collapsible bucket, air pillow, supplies for making coffee, sleeping bag, radio cover, reading material, spare tinted visor and gloves.

The idea behind this mini trip was to work out the kinks. I did not include food because I just ate out. I did discover my rear seat bag makes riding a little uncomfortable. It was pushing into my back which was kind of annoying. I also forgot TP. The campsite was just a basic commercial in city type site. Tried to keep it simple in that regard as I really just wanted to test out the gear and packing setup. All in all pretty successful. I have a few modifications to make, but I think I've got everything covered thanks to many of the people here. Appreciate all the help.

Dusty Boots

Post by Dusty Boots » Mon May 08, 2017 5:25 am

It takes a few trips/set ups to learn how to refine your gear/technique/packing.
I don't know what you were using for a rear seat gearbag, or what you had in there, but next time try not to pack it so full and pack it with stuff that will 'squish' down so it won't push you so far forward in your seat. ;)

The main thing is that you got out and enjoyed it 8-)

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by themainviking » Mon May 08, 2017 6:41 am

I have found that this bag is about perfect for a back seat gear bag. It is advertised as a trunk rack bag, but if you fill it up, it is too heavy to be on the trunk lid rack. The way it is shaped allows it to fit behind the rider, and even provide some back support. Them two little pockets on the back of the bag get pointed frontwards and filled with socks on one side and underwear on the other. It makes a nice wrap around backrest. It fits quite nicely into the curve of the passenger backrest. It almost does not even require securing.

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/touring ... /123/30782
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

someone548

Post by someone548 » Mon May 08, 2017 8:39 am

Dusty Boots wrote:It takes a few trips/set ups to learn how to refine your gear/technique/packing.
I don't know what you were using for a rear seat gearbag, or what you had in there, but next time try not to pack it so full and pack it with stuff that will 'squish' down so it won't push you so far forward in your seat. ;)

The main thing is that you got out and enjoyed it 8-)
Well that's the idea :) The rear seat gearbag really only had the air mattress in it. I think because of the way I strapped it to the rear seat grab handles it kept wanting to lean forward. It was honestly almost empty, so I think that was probably a factor. Strap it down and it bows out. Something to work on.

Dusty Boots

Post by Dusty Boots » Mon May 08, 2017 9:27 am

someone548 wrote: Well that's the idea :) The rear seat gearbag really only had the air mattress in it. I think because of the way I strapped it to the rear seat grab handles it kept wanting to lean forward. It was honestly almost empty, so I think that was probably a factor. Strap it down and it bows out. Something to work on.
1.jpg
Try packing that stiff air mattress so it's not rolled up so tightly next time. (sort of just stuff it in there)

Like you said ... something to play around with until you find the perfect balance. ;)