bunkhouse or time out?

Information, ideas, experiences and help with camping, pulling a trailer and roughing it on your Goldwing
  • Sponsored Links
fred1diver
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200 aspencade

bunkhouse or time out?

Post by fred1diver » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:05 pm

hey everyone, I'm starting to look at camping trailers for the wing, and I've seen a bunkhouse and a time out for sale, from the videos I've seen on YouTube the bunkhouse seems easier to set up but the time out has more room, what do you all recommend and why?

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Re: bunkhouse or time out?

Post by themainviking » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:45 am

six of one, half dozen of the other. They are both pretty good trailers. Like you said, each has its benefits. Do you want to set up fast, or want more room. Leesurelite sets up probably the quickest of all trailers, and has respectable room. You can probably buy add ons for all three to give you more room, but all the add ons increase set up time.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Dadster
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 aspencade

Post by Dadster » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:55 pm

We took our Kompact Kamp on a 2 week 4k mile ride this past June. We have the add a room (optional). Towed with a GL1500 and kept having to check that it was behind us. Under 300 lbs. before our gear.

823JIM
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Goldwing
1978 KZ650 (needs restoring)

Post by 823JIM » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:10 pm

Two of the people I travel with have campers, one has a Time-out, the other a Bunkhouse. I am still tenting but would like a camper so have been watching them haul, set-up and tear down with interest. Hauling of these seem pretty equal. When set-up camping in the Time-out keeps you completely up off the ground, a plus in wet conditions. The Bunkhouse sets up and tears down much faster and easier, and seems to have more storage. Once packed every thing stays put in the Bunkhouse during set-up/tear down, pretty much have to unpack everything to set-up/tear down Time-out, real problem when raining. When packed for the road items packed are very accessible in the Bunkhouse (are also accessible set-up) not so much in Time-out. Like stated before both are good but I think I prefer the Bunkhouse from my observations.
Attachments

Friends don't let friends do stupid stuff (alone)
Jim King

Jag39
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500SE

Post by Jag39 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:45 am

I just bought the Mini Mate from Dale at openroadoutfitters.com. It is still on the way here, so can't speak about it, except that it looked so simple to set up, was the lightest of the ones I looked at, and also the cheapest. If you go to his site, he has a lot of videos of setting up, and one nice one of him towing it through the wiggles. Also an interview with a gentleman in Tampa who pulled one to Alaska and back, and his experience with it. Lots of info.

Dadster

Post by Dadster » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:59 pm

You'll love the Mini Mate. Did you get the awning and extra room? We also bought a soft car top carrier for on top of the trailer. On our 2 week trip we had plenty of extra storage.

Jag39

Post by Jag39 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:48 am

Dadster wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:59 pm
You'll love the Mini Mate. Did you get the awning and extra room? We also bought a soft car top carrier for on top of the trailer. On our 2 week trip we had plenty of extra storage.

129_1427.JPG129_1485.JPG
I ordered it with the awning, but not the extra room. Might should have, though. I thought about the soft top carrier already. Seemed like a really good idea, so will probably do that, also, since it's extra storage with no real downside. Thanks for the info!!

Jag39

Post by Jag39 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:55 am

Jag39 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:48 am
Dadster wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:59 pm

129_1427.JPG129_1485.JPG
I ordered it with the awning, but not the extra room. Might should have, though. I thought about the soft top carrier already. Seemed like a really good idea, so will probably do that, also, since it's extra storage with no real downside. Thanks for the info!!
BTW, nice rig!

Dadster

Post by Dadster » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:51 am

We were happy we got the add on room. Didn't cost much more and gave us added privacy using as a dressing room and for the porta potty. But mostly used it as a living room and a place to eat away from the bugs.

BTW we looked at a lot of portable toilets and glad we went with this one. https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Product ... ref=sr_1_2
It stores away very small and easy to use. It came in handy in the middle of the night.

Jag39

Post by Jag39 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:49 pm

Dadster wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:51 am
We were happy we got the add on room. Didn't cost much more and gave us added privacy using as a dressing room and for the porta potty. But mostly used it as a living room and a place to eat away from the bugs.

BTW we looked at a lot of portable toilets and glad we went with this one. https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Product ... ref=sr_1_2
It stores away very small and easy to use. It came in handy in the middle of the night.
Certainly more room for the two of you. I only have to worry about myself, since my wife won't get on a motorcycle, period.

Heading west for the summer. Hate the heat here in Florida, and have property in Wyoming. Plan on touring around out west, come back by way of Canada and Nova Scotia, then south. That's the plan, anyway.

Dadster

Post by Dadster » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:21 pm

Sounds like a great trip. You'll enjoy your Mini Mate. You won't know it's behind you. It's a sturdy little camper just like the Bunkhouse and the Time Out. Last June in a Kansas campground we got hit by a bad rain storm with wind gusts of 50 mph. The camper held up great with no leaks.

echinus1988
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade, 1980 GL1100, 2006 GL1800, 1989 Suzuki GS450L, 1981 Honda CM400

Post by echinus1988 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:17 am

Just saw this thread so I'll add my opinion. I always remember the old saying in doing this, an opinion is worth what you pay for it.

I looked at a great many trailers when I first considered buying one. The Lees Ure Lite caught my attention for the speed of set up. It is quick. But then I ran into all the other options like the bunkhouse, Time Out, and I don't know how many others I looked at.

I finally set on a bunkhouse though I liked the lees Ure Lite. What I felt was, the bunkhouse opens up a lot when you open the windows. The Lees Ure Lite didn't have the huge windows. The Time Out, as already stated, has to be assembled and in windy rainy conditions I didn't want that.

I looked and found a 1998 (it was listed as a 1989) Bunkhouse. The price was right and it had the 8X10 room addition. I bought it. Found out later that it was actually a 1998 thanks to one of the riders here. Even better deal than I had thought.

On my first trip, second day camping, I was out in Texas. Clouds started threatening that evening and it let loose about 2 hours after setting up. My son and I stayed nice and dry. The wind blew, lightning flashed, thunder roared and yes, plenty of rain in a continuous downpour. The tent portion flexed and swayed but held up through all of it. The only thing we ran into was rain that had forced it's way into the stand up portion because of the AC opening. It happened to be on the main side of the storm. I did learn to put all my gear inside the trailer in the future to avoid wet gear.

Would I buy another Bunkhouse? Absolutely! I find it comfortable, the standing area is big enough for two people easily. Opening the door flap and windows allow so much air through you sleep comfortably. I am currently adding a battery to allow lights inside and recharging my phone, watch, pad, etc... I feel that will be much easier than trying to do it all from the bike. Stop for the night and plug in. Thanks to Admin for his information!

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (122k)

Post by PastoT » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:23 pm

I got a killer deal on a Time Out so I went with it. I do like it and much appreciate that the entire inside is off the ground & mud, and better yet a challenge for the creepy crawlies enter. Of course it takes some practice to set up quickly. Mine takes me about 15 minutes single handed but the first time was about 45 minutes. Set up time can be a concern and I initially was hoping to find a lee shur lite that literally sets up in like two minutes; that would be great if you run into bad weather or need a fast hit and run nap on the road. With my time out I have less internal storage than I hoped and must use a car top carrier with it when on a camping trip and not just a LD ride. I also tend to over pack, but bare minimums through potential monsoon weather means I want more on hand if I have to setup and wait for hours or spend the night anchored in one stop. I didn't have a local choice to experience the bunkhouse design, the newer one I was going to check out ended up sold and gone too quickly, it looks bulkier than my Time Out when trailering but I'd guess it is lighter weight before packing.

I purchased an automotive jumper system with light and compressor that has an AC and several USB outlets for use with my camper. This all in one electrical utility pack can be charged with an extension cord or off a 12 light socket when power is available, but I used mine over night twice last year with problems charging phones, an led light, and tablet. The plus is its portable and I can use it off season in my SUV or house. Just an idea...

Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 122k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"