camping

Information, ideas, experiences and help with camping, pulling a trailer and roughing it on your Goldwing
  • Sponsored Links
fred1diver
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200 aspencade

camping

Post by fred1diver » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:20 am

hey everyone, as you might remember, I'm in the process of looking for a camper for my wing, but the more I look at moto-camping videos the more I realize that tenting might be ok for now, what do you all think about tent camping, I've been camping for over 20 years and I've never had a problem with tent camping so far, so should I save some money and just get a smaller tent or should I keep looking for a camper, I'm on the fence here and I need some input to help me decide

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour

Re: camping

Post by Dusty Boots » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:33 pm

If you're comfortable/enjoy tent camping and can fit all your needed gear in/on the bike, then why not give that a shot.
Although you may not have all the 'comfort/ luxuries' of what you can pack in a camper, tent camping off a bike has a lot of advantages including economy (far better fuel mileage) easier on your bike and far less 'stressful', not having to worry about/dealing with planning your passes, parking, fitting into tight places etc.

Etc, Etc, Etc

I bought myself a camper, but I found I ended up 'bloated', taking too much 'stuff' and got away from the 'basics' !! :o :roll:

As I said, I'm going back to the simpler, unencumbered way of tent camping off the bike and with the fuel money I save not towing the camper, I'll be able to get out more often and to more 'less accessible' campgrounds than if I were tugging the camper.

Dusty

I've recently decided tr go back to tent camping, getting 'back to basics', as it were!

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by themainviking » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:41 am

I was like Dusty Boots. Tent camped. I, did it with a cargo trailer as it was a two up experience with no room on the bike for the camping gear. I got wet. A lot. So, I went through a series of tent campers, and after four different ones, I ended up with a Shur Kamp which was like a lee-sure-lite. It opened in a matter of seconds, had lots of room and was much more comfortable than a tent. This past year, I went out a lot, and every time, I got wet. The tent camper itself was dry, but riding to, riding from, and being there, I got wet. I hate getting wet. I bought a slide in truck camper and an enclosed trailer for the bike. Yeah, I know, I ain't riding to and from anyplace I go, but we shall see how it goes. I only used the truck camper one time last year because I got it at the end of the year, but I DID NOT GET WET. Bonus. We will see how it goes. I might have to change my signature line.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:13 pm

Just getting back into camping and have found the camping world has changed significantly with technology and all. One of my issues was being on the ground regardless of the mattress used. Went camping at Big Sur this year with some other vintage GW riders and bought some new gear. The sleeping cot I used is lightweight, comfortable, comes in various lengths, keeps you off the ground, and supporting weight:

Looking for more camping items, but have time to look, and being very selective.

Another thread I read on the subject is a fellow who camps, but does not cook. Tries to stay at places that have a restaurant, or is close to one. Makes coffee in the morning then goes to a restaurant for food. I can relate to this.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

823JIM
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Goldwing
1978 KZ650 (needs restoring)

Post by 823JIM » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:27 pm

themainviking wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:41 am
-------------------- I bought a slide in truck camper and an enclosed trailer for the bike. Yeah, I know, I ain't riding to and from anyplace I go,
Attachments

Friends don't let friends do stupid stuff (alone)
Jim King

gford
Motorcycle: 1999 Goldwing SE

Post by gford » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:23 pm

Hey Dusty

You towed a small trailer for a couple of years,but, it was only after you got the camper and new bike that you decided to go back to the basics. Did you find the smaller trailer a problem or is it only the camper trailer and no reverse on the new bike. The reason I ask is because I just bought a small cargo trailer for camping equipment.

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour

Post by Dusty Boots » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:08 pm

Nah ... not an issue of no reverse on the new bike, just a case of wanting to 'simplify' and go back to travelling 'unemcoumbered', like I had been doing since 1974!
My new to me bike has a trailer hitch/wiring harness (PO was a Lees-ure Lite camper dealer) and watching how/where you park eliminates the need for reverse.
The trailers are only a fairly recent foray into a different camping 'style'. It's 'OK', but I miss the simpler life of tenting off of the bike, as I was packing too much 'stuff' due to all the extra room that a trailer/camper affords!. :roll:

echinus1988
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade, 1980 GL1100, 2006 GL1800, 1989 Suzuki GS450L, 1981 Honda CM400

Post by echinus1988 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:29 pm

I am the exact opposite of Dusty Boots.

I have always tent camped on my motorcycles but just don't feel as comfortable on the ground or getting up and down like I used to. I decided to look into a camping trailer because I liked the look of comfort that was available. I looked hard at lees-ure lite trailers but finally decided that I liked the look of the bunkhouse style trailers with much bigger windows. I found one at the right price and went ahead and bought it. I have to say I am glad I did. First time out with it was on our vacation and even towing it with the resulting lower mileage the comfort I felt was worth it. Second night camping in it we were in Belton Tx and had a very strong storm come in. Wind, lightning, thunder, rain and we stayed dry and comfy the whole time. Slept well and got up the next morning. No crouching because we could stand straight up. I am satisfied with my decision.

Does this mean I will give up camping in a tent? No way, for a short quick trip I will definitely look at taking my tent, throwing it on the back and going. I just will look for a more comfortable cot or get the wider sleeping pad so I sleep comfortably. There are definitely times that a tent is just right!

And always pack a trailer carefully. Like Dusty said, you tend to pack heavier and put in things you really can do without. I haven't tried to take my 50" TV yet and don't think I will. I pack what I need and look forward to my trip this next year in May to Washington, Oregon, and California. New York with my son in September. Both times will be with the bunkhouse camping trailer.

Camping is an experience and do it the way you want. It's never a bad experience!

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by themainviking » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:26 pm

823JIM wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:27 pm
I rode my bike to trailer week
Yeah, Jim, I hear ya - but - I do not feel too bad about the trailering my bike and having a slide in camper to sleep in. I passed the 800,000 mile point in 54 years riding sometime in the summer of 2017. I still love riding, but find comfort to be - well - comfortable.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

823JIM
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Goldwing
1978 KZ650 (needs restoring)

Post by 823JIM » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:26 pm

themainviking wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:26 pm
823JIM wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:27 pm
I rode my bike to trailer week
Yeah, Jim, I hear ya - but - I do not feel too bad about the trailering my bike and having a slide in camper to sleep in. I passed the 800,000 mile point in 54 years riding sometime in the summer of 2017. I still love riding, but find comfort to be - well - comfortable.

And no you should not feel bad, just fun'in ya a bit.

Just that when I get to a rally and see the people in their chaps, vest, googles and all sort of riding gear and know full well most just rode 10 miles from where they unloaded. But they all claim to be Sturgis riders, you know the deal. On the way out last year seen a lot more bikes on trailers or in trucks than on the road. But than again I wouldn't try and ride most those Harley's that far either.

HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS
Friends don't let friends do stupid stuff (alone)
Jim King

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:15 pm

Jim,

at almost 75 now, I am very fond of warm showers and comfy beds.

my daughter bought us this nice little package back in July, it has already given us two great outings in full comfort. It is a Weekend Warrior 26' Toy Hauler, 2004 model, but in great shape.

The GL1800 sleeps in the back garage, my daughter sleeps in the Queen sized standard mattress bunk over the garage, and I sleep on the comfy fold down bed with my laptop resting on the removable table/desk....

my days of riding in high temperatures are over, an 18 wheeler T-boned me in Jan 2008 and killed my body's thermostat.

~John

fred1diver
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200 aspencade

Post by fred1diver » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:38 pm

AZgl1800, sorry to hear about your accident, hope everything is getting better. Nice looking trailer ;)

now I'm really getting in the camping mood, got a new smaller tent, got down sleeping bags, now I'm looking at camping mats, my camp kitchen is looking real sharp, looking at removing a few elements from it to get it to pack even smaller, as of now the whole kitchen sits in the top part of my tank bag, easily removable when I get in camp.clothing is a no brainer as I've been camping for over 15 years, can't wait to get the bike out of storage to see how everything sits on the bike, I'll wait a few years before getting a camper, unless a great deal comes around ;)

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:00 pm

Here's a suggestion for the camping mat. Have one, is quite comfortable and keeps you a couple of inches off the ground. Packs up quite small.

Here is an eBay site: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Ultralight-Comp ... 0011.m1850

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

echinus1988
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade, 1980 GL1100, 2006 GL1800, 1989 Suzuki GS450L, 1981 Honda CM400

Post by echinus1988 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:16 am

I just saw this line and decided to add my two cents worth. Definitely won't be worth more than that.

I bought a bunkhouse. First vacation was my first time pulling it. I threw two 1 gallon cans of gas in because I expected a major drop in gas mileage based on my experience with my 1982.

I was very surprised that my gas mileage was really quite good. Much better than I had expected. Never even used the gas in my saddlebags. While my GL1100 only got 27 mpg, the GL1800 got a low of 37.65 with a strong headwind. Otherwise I ran between 38-39 so I am quite satisfied. Will I carry gas the next time? Not sure. Probably just in case I do something dumb like keep riding when I should stop.

I am very satisfied with the bunkhouse. The second night out my son and I got slammed with heavy rain, high wind, thunder and lightning. We had set up and just settled in and listened to everything. The tent flexed, shook a bit but we stayed comfortable and dry. I mainly like not having to crawl into a tent to sleep though I still have a tent that I can use if wanted. But with the trailer, decent gas mileage, the power to pull, I really am not sure I will use the tent much.

In fact my son and I will be going to New York soon and will be taking the bunkhouse for sure. Might take his "new" Uni-Go trailer but not sure. I think he wants to try it out. Either way it will be fun. Doing as little planning as possible so we just go and enjoy. Oh yes, just found out the Intrepid Museum is along our route after we leave the finger lakes of New York. 2 aircraft carriers in one year (for me, visited the CVS Hornet in May).

Anyway, I like my bunkhouse and will continue to use and enjoy it. Tent camping will still happen once in a while but I really like my trailer.

Ride safe everyone.