Too big???

Information, ideas, experiences and help with camping, pulling a trailer and roughing it on your Goldwing
CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Too big???

Post by CrystalPistol »

Was thinking of past trailer sights, recalled a sight in the late '80s. I was working midnight shift, patrolling Interstate 81, traffic was really light back then, way off in front all alone was a pair of round tail lights and every once in a while, I'd see something between them but lower down near road level. As I got closer (limit then was 65 but this combo was moving maybe 50 at most I saw this trailer was an Apache Eagle much like one we had in the later '60s when Dad got sick. We never got to use ours except for fun in the driveway / yard at home as Dad passed away in '69. But I digress. Anyway, this one on the Interstate this night was in nice shape it looked like, but I could just see what turned out to be a white helmet above it and what I had seen coming up behind it was reflections from the chrome on a mudflap of a Honda GL1100 with two people on it dragging this car size Apache Eagle Camper. No wonder it was only going 50, that bike was working hard to pull it up from Buffalo Creek.

I eased on past it and when I was slightly ahead, the rider flicked his dimmer a few times. I guessed he wanted some help, it was well after midnight, most stuff closed. I dropped back and fell in behind him and activated my rearward strobes, we eased over to the shoulder maybe 1/4 mile prior to an exit. They (middle aged couple) had pulled this camper with the GL1100 from down in Tennessee, we were 188 miles into Virginia. He was low on gas and they were tired & looking for any place to camp. I told him of open gas station at the next exit, and I told him that I knew the owners well and suggested that if he asked the person on duty, that he'ld likely let them set up off to the side of the parking lot.

I followed him to the Exxon, got me a cup, and told Mike what they wanted. Mike didn't care.

A light green with white top Apache Eagle!

Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Re: Too big???

Post by DenverWinger »

Back around '95 or so I was heading down I-80 thru Iowa on my Suzuki GS-550 (ya - Denver to Michigan trip on a 550!!) and I passed two big guys on a GL1500.

They were pulling a snowmobile trailer that had two dirt bikes and another GL1500 loaded on it!!!!! Poor 1500 had its tongue hanging out! Wish I'd had a camera handy!
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark
CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Re: Too big???

Post by CrystalPistol »

DenverWinger wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:12 pm Back around '95 or so I was heading down I-80 thru Iowa on my Suzuki GS-550 (ya - Denver to Michigan trip on a 550!!) and I passed two big guys on a GL1500.

They were pulling a snowmobile trailer that had two dirt bikes and another GL1500 loaded on it!!!!! Poor 1500 had its tongue hanging out! Wish I'd had a camera handy!
I guess so! :shock: :lol:

I recall seeing some clips of motorcycles converted to tow vehicles in Europe I think.

Speaking of 550s, A guy I know (about 6'5" tall) and his wife camped at Hell's Half Acre in Wyoming in the early '70s … when courting I think. They, some few clothes, tent, all traveled on a Honda 550 - 4. He recalled when there was a souvenere (spl?)shop there. I've been there, it's hot & not well populated. Used for alien bug battle scenes in Starship Troopers.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)