Trailer LED conversion

Information, ideas, experiences and help with camping, pulling a trailer and roughing it on your Goldwing
Fred1959
Motorcycle: 2009 Honda Goldwing GL1800 -California Trike

Trailer LED conversion

Post by Fred1959 »

I have a 2009 GL1800 with a 2012 CSC Cobra XL trike kit installed. All the trike light had been converter to LED (from Socalmotogear) including brakes, spoiler, headlights. I just bought a pull behind trailer 2004 Bushtec Genesis, and I want to change the lights on the trailer to LED, my connection wire is a 6 plug that comes with the trike build by CSC that is rectangular with 2 cables on top (red/white) and 4 cables on the bottom and only build for them. My question is:
-I already have the motorcycle with isolators and relays that comes with the factory kits, do I need another for the trailer lights?
-Do I need to run and independent wire harness for the trailer or I can use the one that comes with the trike.
Any suggestion or recommendation will be really appreciated.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Re: Trailer LED conversion

Post by AZgl1800 »

I would just use the CSC cable setup as it is.

Some of the isolators will not power up LED lights, depends on their technology.
No harm in replacing with LEDs though and give it a try to see if it works okay.

For myself, I do not use isolators, I wired direct from the bike's wiring to the same functional light on the trailer as LEDs don't pull any appreciable amount of current. and I encased all of the wiring in a loom to prevent shorts.

I used the Flat Six rubber connector as there wasn't anything there when I started.

In the following Video, the lower Boat Trailer style lights are standard Filament type bulbs, easily noticed as they are slow to change from off to brighter.... the small filament is used for Running Lights, the heavy Filament is used for the Turning Signals.

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc
Fred1959
Motorcycle: 2009 Honda Goldwing GL1800 -California Trike

Post by Fred1959 »

Thank you for your input, I will try that way.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Most isolators are just boxes of relays. They don't care if they are switching incandescent bulbs, LEDs, or electric fans.
M61A1MECH
Motorcycle: 2013 Goldwing

Post by M61A1MECH »

WingAdmin wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:25 pm Most isolators are just boxes of relays. They don't care if they are switching incandescent bulbs, LEDs, or electric fans.
That is true, but many are made specifically for LEDs and normally state that on the package, some that are not made for use with LEDs require a certain amount of current draw to be able to sense the lights, with those types, LEDs will not always work. I have had the best luck using isolators that are rated for both LED and incandescent in the trailer harness set ups I have built, that is maybe 200 or so.

I also do not recommend to my customers that they wire direct to the bike's wires, but instead always recommend the use of a plug and play break out harness and an isolator. I have a a few customers that decided to forgo the isolator and opt for a plug and play fused system that has 4 individual 2-amp fuses for each light circuit, (brakes, left turn, right turn and tail). It works as does wiring direct, but for me the risk of loosing some or all of my rear facing lights on the bike is is not worth the small return I get from not spending a few extra dollars on a proper isolator to protect the bike's systems should the trailer or associated wiring fail and short out the circuit. That is just me, everyone is welcome to do as they see fit on their bike.

Steve K
Edgewater, FL

And the Lord said. "Thou shalt have dominion over all of the animals, except of course the cat."