New 2018 Goldwing Survey

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2018+)
  • Sponsored Links

What are your thoughts regarding the new 2018 Goldwing?

It's fantastic in every way, I've already got my deposit in
1%
It looks pretty good, I'll consider buying one when it is available
5%
It's just too expensive for my tastes/budget
13%
The lack of storage space is a deal-breaker for me
15%
The great new technology is amazing
14%
Too much whizz-bang technology for me
4%
Honda concentrated too much on shaving weight and not enough on improving a great touring bike
16%
I don't care for a sport bike on steroids, I just want a comfortable tourer
13%
I love the prospect of a sporty tourer with exceptional performance
9%
I expected more considering what the competition has released recently
9%

Total votes: 479

Dark Angel
Motorcycle: 2015 GL1800

Re: New 2018 Goldwing Survey

Post by Dark Angel » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:47 am

We test road the DCT Tour. Positives. Nice paint, modern appearance, plastic and fit and finish was better, nicer hinges and hardware. Smooth ride at slow speed. Felt very light and easy to handle. Negatives, small bags, could not fit our helmets, we tried every combination for 15 minutes. Could only close on my Nolan Large with lots of pressure and stress on the lid and in only one orientation. Would not have been able to take my computer, printer, files etc for work. Hard seat, poor lumbar support for the rider. Poor handles for passenger. DCT is not for me, the different modes just made it bad in different ways. Why they choose 40 year old tech that has been a disaster in so many applications is a mystery. It was a good ride for short distances at moderate speed. On the highway on a wind free day with no vehicles it was the worst buffeting and drone that we have ever experienced. It was unrideable i was begging for the exit. Could barely see no matter the sheild position due to the pounding, we had to scream through our communicators to hear over that awful drone. It was a frightening experience for both of us and a complete and utter failure. The suspension was no better than my resprung and braced fork.
I guess when you get used to the perfect wind management of the Gen 2 1800, ours is a 2015, with zero buffeting whatsoever for rider or passenger and multiple options for increased or decreased air flow with just the stock vent and sheild you get spoiled and really do throw metaphoric rocks at all other motorcycles.
We are glad we rode it, no interest, it was a real step backwards for us. A V-Strom is a much better touer than this ST1832. Will be riding an Indian Roadmastsr for kicks this afternoon. It looks like we will be hanging on to the 2015 for the foreseeable future. We might just be at the end of an era.

The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams it's heaven and hell. RJD

doxbike
Motorcycle: 2018 gl1800bd the "Bagger", and 2008 Suzuki B-king-the "Beast'

Post by doxbike » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:56 pm

Wow! Did we ride the same bike? I've got nearly 4000 miles on mine and love the DCT! and no buffeting at all, handles much better- joy to ride. Sorry you didn't get along.
Dark Angel wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:47 am
We test road the DCT Tour. Positives. Nice paint, modern appearance, plastic and fit and finish was better, nicer hinges and hardware. Smooth ride at slow speed. Felt very light and easy to handle. Negatives, small bags, could not fit our helmets, we tried every combination for 15 minutes. Could only close on my Nolan Large with lots of pressure and stress on the lid and in only one orientation. Would not have been able to take my computer, printer, files etc for work. Hard seat, poor lumbar support for the rider. Poor handles for passenger. DCT is not for me, the different modes just made it bad in different ways. Why they choose 40 year old tech that has been a disaster in so many applications is a mystery. It was a good ride for short distances at moderate speed. On the highway on a wind free day with no vehicles it was the worst buffeting and drone that we have ever experienced. It was unrideable i was begging for the exit. Could barely see no matter the sheild position due to the pounding, we had to scream through our communicators to hear over that awful drone. It was a frightening experience for both of us and a complete and utter failure. The suspension was no better than my resprung and braced fork.
I guess when you get used to the perfect wind management of the Gen 2 1800, ours is a 2015, with zero buffeting whatsoever for rider or passenger and multiple options for increased or decreased air flow with just the stock vent and sheild you get spoiled and really do throw metaphoric rocks at all other motorcycles.
We are glad we rode it, no interest, it was a real step backwards for us. A V-Strom is a much better touer than this ST1832. Will be riding an Indian Roadmastsr for kicks this afternoon. It looks like we will be hanging on to the 2015 for the foreseeable future. We might just be at the end of an era.

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:58 pm

doxbike wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:56 pm
Wow! Did we ride the same bike? I've got nearly 4000 miles on mine and love the DCT! and no buffeting at all, handles much better- joy to ride. Sorry you didn't get along.
I think a short test ride of, at most 100-200 miles, is not nearly enough to figure out and appreciate this new Wing. Even with my 2016 it took a couple thousand to get really comfortable with it and I'm still experimenting with shield positions up until a month or so ago due to varying weather conditions. I did like it when I first got on it, but IMHO its not really like a pair of shoes that should be comfortable the first time they are slipped on. This new Wing is very different and may not be for everyone. A test ride, from we've heard, is not enough for the DCT to learn the riders' habits and adjust.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

Springer
Motorcycle: GL1800BD

Post by Springer » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:50 am

C-dub wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:58 pm

I think a short test ride of, at most 100-200 miles, is not nearly enough to figure out and appreciate this new Wing.
Truer words were never spoken. There's a definite learning curve to the DCT, especially for low speed handling.

The odd part (for me) though, is that my test ride took only 15 minutes and I stayed in city traffic. Any bike will cruise on the open road; I wanted to see what it would do in stop and go conditions. Those 15 minutes in traffic convinced me it was the bike I needed.

2000 miles later I'm still learning and adapting to it. No regrets at all.
Naval Aviation Mustang '62-'85

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:10 pm

Springer wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:50 am
C-dub wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:58 pm

I think a short test ride of, at most 100-200 miles, is not nearly enough to figure out and appreciate this new Wing.
Truer words were never spoken. There's a definite learning curve to the DCT, especially for low speed handling.

The odd part (for me) though, is that my test ride took only 15 minutes and I stayed in city traffic. Any bike will cruise on the open road; I wanted to see what it would do in stop and go conditions. Those 15 minutes in traffic convinced me it was the bike I needed.

2000 miles later I'm still learning and adapting to it. No regrets at all.
My test ride was just about 15 minutes worth also, and I never got out of the dealer's sales lot.
I wanted to see how it handled from Zero to 15 mph, does it follow the handlebars when I turn them at 3 mph? or does it wallow around and feel loose up front?

Do the brakes work smooth, I use the foot brake for very slow speed handling on turns.
it is much easier to control your slow speed turns and balance by keeping the clutch in the slippery zone, and the throttle in the "just barely pulling" position. the foot brake is the only thing to move to change speed when in very slow speed conditions.

the bike had 97,700 miles on it when I bought it, it has 114,000 or so on it now, and runs like a brand new one.
~John

WINGER3
Motorcycle: current 2016 F6B previous GL1200A GL1500K GL1100A CB350 GL650I VFR1000 ST1100 GL1200A GL1500I GL1800ABS GL1500CT + many other brands

Post by WINGER3 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:02 am

I was looking very hard at buying the non-tour model with DCT but wanted to see how much of a discount they would drop on it. I decided that @ 77 it was just more then I wanted to pay for a bike I will probably only ride another 3-4 years so I found a great deal on the 2016 F6B Dlx. with low miles still under warranty and a great price and love it. Sure would have been nice to have a brand new one with auto shifter to give my left knee a rest, O well I'll just get another shot in it and keep ridding. :mrgreen: :lol:
DON'T DESTROY IT-RESTORE IT

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1976 GL1000LTD
1994 GL1500A

Post by landisr » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:47 am

Congrats on the new bike. I will turn 72 on Christmas Day and have owned my '94 Wing since new and put 188,000 miles on it, but find myself enjoying my naked '76 Wings more and more lately.

As they say, "Ride on my friend". :)

Ron in AZ

Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.