2018 GL1800 minimal shock travel

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2018+)
  • Sponsored Links
mberk01
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE

Re: 2018 GL1800 minimal shock travel

Post by mberk01 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:52 pm

...and on the US website: http://hondanews.com/channels/gold-wing ... h-document

On the Gold Wing Tour, front and rear damping force are electrically adjusted, with a stepping motor moving the needle in each system to control the oil flow rate and adjust front/rear damping force to mode-specific settings. On each Tour model, these suspension settings are linked to individual riding modes and do not change until a new riding mode is selected. On the Gold Wing Tour models, preload settings are displayed in the lower-right corner of the easy-to-read 7-inch TFT display. There are four electric preload settings to choose from.

So it would appear that the front shock on the Tour models has adjustable damping (according to the Honda websites). I haven't actually seen one so I can't verify.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:20 pm

I doubt that seriously, and I remember reading that also.

I suspect none of the pictures that we have seen,
show the wire harness that controls the needle valve/stepper motor in the front shock.
~John

kiptap
Motorcycle: 2018 Goldwing Tour GL1800DJ

Post by kiptap » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:31 pm

The front and rear shocks on the tour have electronic damping the rear only has electric pre-load the front has no pre-load. This is for the tour only, not sure about other models.

Springer
Motorcycle: GL1800BD

Post by Springer » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:51 pm

After nearly a month riding on horrible post-winter-low-maintenance roads, I'll say that my new Wing rides like a cloud. The only situation that causes a "jarring" is hitting a really bad raised expansion joint while doing highway speed. And the jarring effect is not felt in the handlebars, bur rather in the bike overall.

What I do find irritating--especially coming from a CTX1300--is the small diameter handlebars. For someone like myself who is admittedly ham-handed, the small diameter (7/8") causes me to "over grip" the handlebars. Over time that becomes tiring and the fatigue travels up the arms to the shoulders. Why Honda chose the small diameter grip on both the CTX and the GL1800 is beyond me.

Nonetheless, the cure is inexpensive and I have already placed an order for Grip-Puppies. They worked well for the CTX and I'm quite sure they'll work well for my Wing. They are compatible with heated grips.

Comparing much of the commentary here to the bike's actual ride performance reveals a disconnect between theory and reality.

I like the reality.

Naval Aviation Mustang '62-'85