Accessories


Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2018+)
  • Sponsored Links
Post Reply
User avatar
WingVetteGSXR
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:39 pm
Location: Fox Island, WA
Motorcycle: 2018 Tour DCT, 2006 Suzuki GSX-R600, 2018 Triumph Tiger 800 XCA
Contact:

Accessories

Post by WingVetteGSXR » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:31 pm



Just bought a new Blue Tour DCT.  Here's a list of accessories I just ordered.  Any suggestions on anything else (besides bling/chrome, etc) that would require stripping all the plastic off before I start the project?  Don't want to have to do this more than once.  :-/
​​​​​​​
Fog lights (with harness)
Home link
Trunk Rack
USB cord
12V outlet
Aux cord
Arm rests
Rack LED (with harness)
Powerlet ports for vests/battery tender from Powerlet



User avatar
Stew
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:40 am
Location: Smokey Point, WA - USA
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
2005 Honda CRF230F

Previous bikes:
2003 Honda Ruckus
1993 Honda Elite SR
1986 Honda CR125R
1979 Yamaha GT80

Re: Accessories

Post by Stew » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:31 pm

You were pretty upset at least initially with the new redesign, what changed your mind? How are you liking it so far?
Winging it every chance I get 8-)

19,119 miles when I got it from dad Oct 15, 2017 --- 23,128 miles and counting as of July 30, 2018!

User avatar
WingVetteGSXR
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:39 pm
Location: Fox Island, WA
Motorcycle: 2018 Tour DCT, 2006 Suzuki GSX-R600, 2018 Triumph Tiger 800 XCA
Contact:

Re: Accessories

Post by WingVetteGSXR » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:27 pm

Stew wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:31 pm
You were pretty upset at least initially with the new redesign, what changed your mind? How are you liking it so far?
Great question. I've only had a short test ride. I'll bring it home tomorrow. Decision was based on several things. My '03 is getting old and is really outdated. Although I've maintained it meticulously, as the years go by I get less trustworthy of an aging bike on really long trips with the SO. The other options aren't a player. Don't trust BMW for reliability based on a lot of rental experience overseas, Harley is a non-player, and the Venture Star is too "Harleyesque" for me. We'll have to figure out some kind of workaround for the storage issue which was/is my #1 complaint. Worse comes to worse maybe a Unigo for the long trips. (Argh.) Hopefully the positives like suspension, riding modes, and user interface will make up for this.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 19309
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Accessories

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:21 am

That's something I've wondered about - pulling a trailer with the new GL1800.

I know Big Bike Parts is working on a trailer hitch for it, and I'm sure others are as well. For the six speed GL1800, it should be a non-issue. But when it comes to the DCT...that's another thing.

The DCT has to do things like feather the clutch and judge shifting based on what it knows the bike weighs. When you have a trailer, that changes. I wonder if you put the DCT in danger by pulling a heavy trailer?

User avatar
thrasherg
Posts: 2122
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:21 am
Location: Plano, TX
Motorcycle: 2017 Yamaha FZ07, 2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500, Gas Gas TXT200

Re: Accessories

Post by thrasherg » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:16 pm

what about a sena bluetooth Freewire receiver? or are you going to use wired headsets on the new bike?

Gary

User avatar
AZgl1800
Posts: 1119
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Lake Oologah Indian Territory USA
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: Accessories

Post by AZgl1800 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:27 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:21 am
That's something I've wondered about - pulling a trailer with the new GL1800.

I know Big Bike Parts is working on a trailer hitch for it, and I'm sure others are as well. For the six speed GL1800, it should be a non-issue. But when it comes to the DCT...that's another thing.

The DCT has to do things like feather the clutch and judge shifting based on what it knows the bike weighs. When you have a trailer, that changes. I wonder if you put the DCT in danger by pulling a heavy trailer?
Personally,
I don't think pulling a trailer is going to effect the DCT.

They have been used in OTR trucks for years and no problems.
~John

User avatar
WingVetteGSXR
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:39 pm
Location: Fox Island, WA
Motorcycle: 2018 Tour DCT, 2006 Suzuki GSX-R600, 2018 Triumph Tiger 800 XCA
Contact:

Re: Accessories

Post by WingVetteGSXR » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:16 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:21 am
That's something I've wondered about - pulling a trailer with the new GL1800.

I know Big Bike Parts is working on a trailer hitch for it, and I'm sure others are as well. For the six speed GL1800, it should be a non-issue. But when it comes to the DCT...that's another thing.

The DCT has to do things like feather the clutch and judge shifting based on what it knows the bike weighs. When you have a trailer, that changes. I wonder if you put the DCT in danger by pulling a heavy trailer?
I'm no expert, but a WAG would be that the DCT would just treat the bike as it would as if under an additional load, for example to really heavy people vs. two really light people, or as if the bike was going up a steep hill.

User avatar
WingVetteGSXR
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:39 pm
Location: Fox Island, WA
Motorcycle: 2018 Tour DCT, 2006 Suzuki GSX-R600, 2018 Triumph Tiger 800 XCA
Contact:

Re: Accessories

Post by WingVetteGSXR » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:18 pm

thrasherg wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:16 pm
what about a sena bluetooth Freewire receiver? or are you going to use wired headsets on the new bike?

Gary
I looked at this on SENA and for the life of me i I can't figure out what it's for. I just bought a SENA SRL for use with my new Shoes Neotec 2. Will post here if I have problems with it connecting to my new Blue DCT, but I doubt it.

User avatar
kiptap
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:41 pm
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Motorcycle: 2018 Goldwing Tour GL1800DJ

Re: Accessories

Post by kiptap » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:21 pm

WingVetteGSXR wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:18 pm
thrasherg wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:16 pm
what about a sena bluetooth Freewire receiver? or are you going to use wired headsets on the new bike?

Gary
I looked at this on SENA and for the life of me i I can't figure out what it's for. I just bought a SENA SRL for use with my new Shoes Neotec 2. Will post here if I have problems with it connecting to my new Blue DCT, but I doubt it.
The Freewire plugs into the headset plug, I think its a 4 or 5 pin round plug, and replaces the wire that normally went to your helmet headset and communicates via Bluetooth to a Bluetooth headset, thus "freeing up the wire". I had one for my GL1500 and it worked fantastic, everything worked, radio, aux radio, intercom, CB w/talk, even an input for a GPS. Then you Bluetooth your phone and you got the infotainment system and cellphone connected via Bluetooth headset. Its a great way for an older Goldwing to convert to Bluetooth.



Post Reply