oil level


Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2018+)
  • Sponsored Links
Post Reply
doxbike
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:17 am
Location: laguna beach,ca
Motorcycle: 2018 gl1800bd the "Bagger", and 2008 Suzuki B-king-the "Beast'

oil level

Post by doxbike » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:17 pm



OK, the manual says run it for a few minutes, then check the oil level after letting it sit 2-3 minutes. Yup, and the level on the dipstick (yes bike is on the center stand and the dipstick is only resting on the threads-not screwed in) is above the upper line. But let it sit for a few hours and it is below the lower limit line. Which reading do I believe? Never had this issues with my gl 1500



User avatar
AZgl1800
Posts: 1768
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Lake Oologah Indian Territory USA
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: oil level

Post by AZgl1800 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:12 am

I just pour in the 5 quarts, seal it up, and go ride it for 5,000 miles.

never a problem that way.

but, my bike has never had a leak, nor has it ever used oil in between changes.
and so far, it is only 114,000 miles young
~John
What is the Forum Index?
http://bit.ly/2GnjbzV

Download it here:
http://bit.ly/2SLDNqF

DaveO430
Posts: 1201
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:28 pm
Location: Amity. Ar
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Re: oil level

Post by DaveO430 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:50 am

AZgl1800 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:12 am
I just pour in the 5 quarts, seal it up, and go ride it for 5,000 miles.

never a problem that way.

but, my bike has never had a leak, nor has it ever used oil in between changes.
and so far, it is only 114,000 miles young
That's 4 quarts.

DaveO430
Posts: 1201
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:28 pm
Location: Amity. Ar
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Re: oil level

Post by DaveO430 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:52 am

doxbike wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:17 pm
OK, the manual says run it for a few minutes, then check the oil level after letting it sit 2-3 minutes. Yup, and the level on the dipstick (yes bike is on the center stand and the dipstick is only resting on the threads-not screwed in) is above the upper line. But let it sit for a few hours and it is below the lower limit line. Which reading do I believe? Never had this issues with my gl 1500
That's really just not possible unless there is a big puddle on the floor.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 20390
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: oil level

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:59 am

doxbike wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:17 pm
OK, the manual says run it for a few minutes, then check the oil level after letting it sit 2-3 minutes. Yup, and the level on the dipstick (yes bike is on the center stand and the dipstick is only resting on the threads-not screwed in) is above the upper line. But let it sit for a few hours and it is below the lower limit line. Which reading do I believe? Never had this issues with my gl 1500
Yeah, that's really backwards. Usually it will go HIGHER after a few hours, as the oil gradually drips down out of the galleys and so on. I wonder if there is oil being pumped somewhere in the DCT (assuming you have a DCT) and it gradually drains back in there over time?

doxbike
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:17 am
Location: laguna beach,ca
Motorcycle: 2018 gl1800bd the "Bagger", and 2008 Suzuki B-king-the "Beast'

Re: oil level

Post by doxbike » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:07 am

WingAdmin wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:59 am
doxbike wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:17 pm
OK, the manual says run it for a few minutes, then check the oil level after letting it sit 2-3 minutes. Yup, and the level on the dipstick (yes bike is on the center stand and the dipstick is only resting on the threads-not screwed in) is above the upper line. But let it sit for a few hours and it is below the lower limit line. Which reading do I believe? Never had this issues with my gl 1500
Yeah, that's really backwards. Usually it will go HIGHER after a few hours, as the oil gradually drips down out of the galleys and so on. I wonder if there is oil being pumped somewhere in the DCT (assuming you have a DCT) and it gradually drains back in there over time?
That's what I'm thinking, and yes, I do have the DCT.

doxbike
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:17 am
Location: laguna beach,ca
Motorcycle: 2018 gl1800bd the "Bagger", and 2008 Suzuki B-king-the "Beast'

Re: oil level

Post by doxbike » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:53 pm

OK, Mother Honda called me back- and told me to use the level after the bike is warm, shut it off, check the reading after "a few minutes" so that's what I'll do

ThirdWing
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:59 pm
Location: Daytona Beach
Motorcycle: 2018 gl1800 b 6 speed

Re: oil level

Post by ThirdWing » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:25 pm

I found the following:

From stone cold on the center stand I let it idle for 4 minutes until idle speed settled, shut it off and let it sit for 3 minutes. Checked the oil level and the stick came out dry. Since I had driven it home from the dealer the day before about 65 miles and the engine was not cooked i figured there was enough oil in it to run it around the block about 4 miles. Did that, shut it off and back on the center stand. I get an oil reading about 3/4 the way up between the marks toward the top mark. So fine, plenty of oil in the engine. After about an hour sitting the oil level dropped to around 1/2 way up between the marks.

Just for fun the next morning I put the bike on the side stand and let it run from stone cold to a stable idle 4 minutes. I shut it down, put it on its center stand and again after 3 minutes found a dry dipstick. Rode it around the block again (about 40 miles this time ) shut it down and on the center stand got an oil level 3/4 the way up toward the top mark.

It seems what honda told you is correct but I think the manual procedure is not technically correct. I followed it to the letter and got a dry dipstick. I could have assumed the bike did not have enough oil and overfilled it. I'm glad I rode it around and double checked it. It would be great if honda posted a diagram so I could understand this. My 1992 gl1500 and my 2002 hl1800 could be checked in any condition without this hassle.

ThirdWing
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:59 pm
Location: Daytona Beach
Motorcycle: 2018 gl1800 b 6 speed

Re: oil level

Post by ThirdWing » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:36 pm

I hate this subject but another note. Service manual says drain the oil with the bike on the side stand to evacuate all the oil. If you drain on the center stand only and then put in the recommended amount of oil you could overfill slightly. It is a real pain in the rear to change the oil with the bike on the side stand. Ugh.

User avatar
Solina Dave
Posts: 653
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:38 pm
Location: Port Hope, Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Re: oil level

Post by Solina Dave » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:44 pm

On my '78 GL1000, I always check my oil level with the engine cold (pre-ride), and if it's low I add enough to bring it up to 3/4 of the way between the low line and the top line in the sightglass.

Comments.....................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

User avatar
AZgl1800
Posts: 1768
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Lake Oologah Indian Territory USA
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: oil level

Post by AZgl1800 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:19 pm

DaveO430 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:50 am
AZgl1800 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:12 am
I just pour in the 5 quarts, seal it up, and go ride it for 5,000 miles.

never a problem that way.

but, my bike has never had a leak, nor has it ever used oil in between changes.
and so far, it is only 114,000 miles young
That's 4 quarts.
uh, yeah....
was thinking of the Suburban.... solly there.
it uses a bit pulling the big Toy Hauler...

the 1800 so far, has never needed any oil between changes.


~John
What is the Forum Index?
http://bit.ly/2GnjbzV

Download it here:
http://bit.ly/2SLDNqF

Post Reply