Bloody Hell just look at this !!


Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2018+)
  • Sponsored Links
Post Reply
User avatar
mudplug
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:07 pm
Location: Lincoln, England, United Kingdom
Motorcycle: 1989 HONDA GOLDWING
ANNIVERSARY MODEL

Bloody Hell just look at this !!

Post by mudplug » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:58 pm



First off it's NOT my bike but I have just seen this on another post and it scared the pants off me, apparently the guy was riding down the road and felt the steering a bit strange so started to brake and slow down, He never got to a stop because this happened!! Looking closely at the front you can see where the front forks have sheared right off, imagine if that happened at 70+







User avatar
ct1500
Posts: 1062
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Glastonbury,CT
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
Contact:

Re: Bloody Hell just look at this !!

Post by ct1500 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:56 pm

mudplug wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:58 pm
First off it's NOT my bike but I have just seen this on another post and it scared the pants off me, apparently the guy was riding down the road and felt the steering a bit strange so started to brake and slow down, He never got to a stop because this happened!! Looking closely at the front you can see where the front forks have sheared right off, imagine if that happened at 70+
Sure looks like that front wheel rear ended another vehicle and I would expect a casting to break under those forces. One big rim dent in front and another behind when the front end folded. Whether tubes or cast forks does not make a difference no one is gonna ride that kind of impact out, you going down.
Last edited by ct1500 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

User avatar
Sadanorakman
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:42 pm
Location: Leicester, ENGLAND
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 SE

Re: Bloody Hell just look at this !!

Post by Sadanorakman » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:01 pm

Whoahhh. Let's hope just a one-in-ten-thousand bad casting, but you'd think they would be ultrasonically tested for integrity/critical flaws in production.
Didn't BMW have some failures similar to this with their cantilever front suspension? I think that might have been corrosion at the bottom of the forks though?
There are two types of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data,

User avatar
Ghostman
Posts: 304
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:52 am
Location: Midwest
Motorcycle: gl1800

Re: Bloody Hell just look at this !!

Post by Ghostman » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:27 pm

Theses pics and story are on the other Goldwing site and supposedly he had an accident and rear ended a car. The steering didnt just fail and break. This was over in Europe and if you look at the front wheel you can see how bad the damage was besides the bike.If youre going to spread a story get the facts right.

User avatar
mudplug
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:07 pm
Location: Lincoln, England, United Kingdom
Motorcycle: 1989 HONDA GOLDWING
ANNIVERSARY MODEL

Re: Bloody Hell just look at this !!

Post by mudplug » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:51 am

Ghostman, good on you for discovering what happened but do NOT accuse me of spreading stories, I posted what I saw and what I read on a site and shared it. I did NOT invent it and as you say you have seen it on many sites so why did YOU not put it up? In future anything I see or read I shall not bother to post on here no matter how interesting I feel it may be because I don't like to be accused of "Spreading Stories".

User avatar
AZgl1800
Posts: 1209
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Lake Oologah Indian Territory USA
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: Bloody Hell just look at this !!

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:21 am

.

it happened in Afghanistan, and he hit something darn hard.

blow up the pix of the wheel six times, you can see daylight thru both sides of the rim where it was rolled back on both sides.

I wonder if that bike had been a 2017 or earlier with forks on it, if the engine might have been saved?




~John

User avatar
dingdong
Posts: 3447
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:35 am
Location: Oklahoma City
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Bloody Hell just look at this !!

Post by dingdong » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:55 am

Just WOW! Look at the surface area at the break in the fork. Not much holding that together. Especially for the forces involved at the "fork". IMHO a defect in design.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

User avatar
landisr
Posts: 560
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:18 pm
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1976 GL1000LTD
1994 GL1500A

Re: Bloody Hell just look at this !!

Post by landisr » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:51 am

I'm quite shocked at what appears to be such a narrow cross section of material, although I don't know anything about metallergy and am confident they thoroughly tested these forks.

Ron in AZ
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

User avatar
Ravyn
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:52 pm
Location: Wa....
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800, 2000 Kawasaki w650, 2010 Yamaha xt250, 1972 Honda ct-90 dual range tranny, 1968 Honda Express 102 original miles, 1982 Honda cx500 custom, 1972 Bultaco Alpina,
1980 Honda cx500 turbo..."for sale" My latest bike is a 1994 GL1500SE, side car rig.

Re: Bloody Hell just look at this !!

Post by Ravyn » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:43 am

mudplug wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:58 pm
First off it's NOT my bike but I have just seen this on another post and it scared the pants off me, apparently the guy was riding down the road and felt the steering a bit strange so started to brake and slow down, He never got to a stop because this happened!! Looking closely at the front you can see where the front forks have sheared right off, imagine if that happened at 70+ 38794516_1194447207365046_8735058457440288768_n.jpg38856440_1194446927365074_1767692111060140032_n.jpg
I don't think something like this going to happen when you are just riding down the road and feel something strange. It looks to me like he hit something dang hard. Where did you find this article ? Post the whole story man !

User avatar
Ravyn
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:52 pm
Location: Wa....
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800, 2000 Kawasaki w650, 2010 Yamaha xt250, 1972 Honda ct-90 dual range tranny, 1968 Honda Express 102 original miles, 1982 Honda cx500 custom, 1972 Bultaco Alpina,
1980 Honda cx500 turbo..."for sale" My latest bike is a 1994 GL1500SE, side car rig.

Re: Bloody Hell just look at this !!

Post by Ravyn » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:50 am

Sadanorakman wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:01 pm
Whoahhh. Let's hope just a one-in-ten-thousand bad casting, but you'd think they would be ultrasonically tested for integrity/critical flaws in production.
Didn't BMW have some failures similar to this with their cantilever front suspension? I think that might have been corrosion at the bottom of the forks though?
BMW had some problems with the Ball Joint failing on the cantilever front suspension and some of the rear aluminum one sideded swing arms would just break off. So far Honda hasn't had any problem with there alumium swing arm on the 1800. I have never been a fan of cantilever suspension, especially if it pivots on a ball.

User avatar
DenverWinger
Posts: 422
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:20 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Motorcycle: 1980 GL-1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL-1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL-1000 (2002-2006) sold

Re: Bloody Hell just look at this !!

Post by DenverWinger » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:11 am

I saw this posted originally over on Saunder's site with a link to an article with a bunch of pictures. I just went to Saunder's to copy the link to the story, but it appears the site is down right now, will have to get the link later...
They say 98% of all Hardleys ever made are still on the road..... The other 2% made it home. :lol:
(I stole this from somebody on another GW site...) :roll:

User avatar
AZgl1800
Posts: 1209
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Lake Oologah Indian Territory USA
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: Bloody Hell just look at this !!

Post by AZgl1800 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:59 am

DenverWinger wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:11 am
I saw this posted originally over on Saunder's site with a link to an article with a bunch of pictures. I just went to Saunder's to copy the link to the story, but it appears the site is down right now, will have to get the link later...
I have all the pix posted in an Album here


https://imgur.com/a/b4NdLlY
Last edited by AZgl1800 on Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
~John

User avatar
Ravyn
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:52 pm
Location: Wa....
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800, 2000 Kawasaki w650, 2010 Yamaha xt250, 1972 Honda ct-90 dual range tranny, 1968 Honda Express 102 original miles, 1982 Honda cx500 custom, 1972 Bultaco Alpina,
1980 Honda cx500 turbo..."for sale" My latest bike is a 1994 GL1500SE, side car rig.

Re: Bloody Hell just look at this !!

Post by Ravyn » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:07 am

Does anybody know what he hit and how fast he was going ??

User avatar
DenverWinger
Posts: 422
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:20 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Motorcycle: 1980 GL-1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL-1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL-1000 (2002-2006) sold

Re: Bloody Hell just look at this !!

Post by DenverWinger » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:08 am

John, ya beat me to it. And appears Saunder's site wasn't down, I had local DNS issues here, running on WiFi for the moment. I plugged 8.8.8.8 into the DNS server config and things are working now... Funny how I could get to Goldwingdocs but not Goldwingfacts...
They say 98% of all Hardleys ever made are still on the road..... The other 2% made it home. :lol:
(I stole this from somebody on another GW site...) :roll:

User avatar
AZgl1800
Posts: 1209
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Lake Oologah Indian Territory USA
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: Bloody Hell just look at this !!

Post by AZgl1800 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:02 am

Ravyn wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:07 am
Does anybody know what he hit and how fast he was going ??
that first showed up on Facebook, and like all FB posts, nothing is ever provided in the way of "full disclosure".... just those damn incomplete headlines to sucker you into "click bait"
~John

User avatar
Ravyn
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:52 pm
Location: Wa....
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800, 2000 Kawasaki w650, 2010 Yamaha xt250, 1972 Honda ct-90 dual range tranny, 1968 Honda Express 102 original miles, 1982 Honda cx500 custom, 1972 Bultaco Alpina,
1980 Honda cx500 turbo..."for sale" My latest bike is a 1994 GL1500SE, side car rig.

Re: Bloody Hell just look at this !!

Post by Ravyn » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:01 pm

AZgl1800 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:02 am
Ravyn wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:07 am
Does anybody know what he hit and how fast he was going ??
that first showed up on Facebook, and like all FB posts, nothing is ever provided in the way of "full disclosure".... just those damn incomplete headlines to sucker you into "click bait"
Yeah, I don't ever do facebook !

User avatar
AZgl1800
Posts: 1209
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Lake Oologah Indian Territory USA
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: Bloody Hell just look at this !!

Post by AZgl1800 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:23 pm

Ravyn wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:01 pm
AZgl1800 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:02 am
Ravyn wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:07 am
Does anybody know what he hit and how fast he was going ??
that first showed up on Facebook, and like all FB posts, nothing is ever provided in the way of "full disclosure".... just those damn incomplete headlines to sucker you into "click bait"
Yeah, I don't ever do facebook !
I wouldn't either if it weren't for not being able to stay in contact with Family, and forum members who just don't bother to visit our forums anymore.....

the Smartphone and Facebook has just about killed good forums.
The family type atmosphere we used to have is just about gone all together.
we don't see the casual chit chat we used to.
~John

User avatar
themainviking
Posts: 3227
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:59 pm
Location: North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Re: Bloody Hell just look at this !!

Post by themainviking » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:22 am

It is strange, but the rest of the bike, like both sides, do not appear to have suffered any damage. How the heck would the bike not go over on its side and slide? Well, probably by stopping dead when it ran into an immovable object. If the forks had just broken off like that, and bashed in the front of the motorcycle, no rider on earth could have kept it upright. This was not likely a manufacturing defect. No pics available of the owner/operator.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Image

User avatar
seelyark1
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 1:57 pm
Location: Dunnellon, Florida
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Re: Bloody Hell just look at this !!

Post by seelyark1 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:25 am

I don't suspect that he was going that fast, as the wind screen is still intact from what I can see. Surely the rider would have been thrown forward. And the oil on the road makes it look as though it was pushed to the curb. We will probably never know what really happened. That front wheel surely took an impact.
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

User avatar
AZgl1800
Posts: 1209
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Lake Oologah Indian Territory USA
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: Bloody Hell just look at this !!

Post by AZgl1800 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:33 pm

seelyark1 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:25 am
I don't suspect that he was going that fast, as the wind screen is still intact from what I can see. Surely the rider would have been thrown forward. And the oil on the road makes it look as though it was pushed to the curb. We will probably never know what really happened. That front wheel surely took an impact.
that is not oil, it is coolant from the radiator.

what does surprise me though, is the Air Bag did not deploy?










~John

doxbike
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:17 am
Location: laguna beach,ca
Motorcycle: 2018 gl1800bd

Re: Bloody Hell just look at this !!

Post by doxbike » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:10 am

Doesn't look like an air bag model-different paint scheme?

User avatar
someone548
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:02 pm
Location: Tullahoma, TN
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing Aspencade

Re: Bloody Hell just look at this !!

Post by someone548 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:16 pm

mudplug wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:51 am
Ghostman, good on you for discovering what happened but do NOT accuse me of spreading stories, I posted what I saw and what I read on a site and shared it. I did NOT invent it and as you say you have seen it on many sites so why did YOU not put it up? In future anything I see or read I shall not bother to post on here no matter how interesting I feel it may be because I don't like to be accused of "Spreading Stories".
This.

WTH Ghostman? Bad day or something? He clearly had no intent of spreading false stories.



Post Reply