Page 1 of 1

Front brake sticking

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:53 pm
by mike1430
Hi Everybody, I'm new to Goldwing Docs. I have a question about my front brakes sticking on my 1978 Wing. We were on the Dragon's Tail and found that my front right brake caliper was sticking. I've rebuilt the master and cleaned the calipers but they still stick. Can someone help me with this problem? Could it be the lines or the valve that goes to both calipers? I'm at a loss. Please help!!
Thank you,

Re: Front brake sticking

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:50 am
by dingdong
In rebuilding the master did you make sure the small return hole was clear. That is usually the cause.

Re: Front brake sticking

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:10 am
by virgilmobile
And did you clean the crud from under the seal in the calipers,verify the piston slides smooth into the bottom of the bore,then completely flush all the old fluid and replace it with Dot 4..??

Re: Front brake sticking

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:31 am
by WingAdmin
dingdong wrote:In rebuilding the master did you make sure the small return hole was clear. That is usually the cause.
Right. It is tiny, some people use a guitar string to clear it, I've used a single clipped off bristle from a wire brush to do the job:

Image

Re: Front brake sticking

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:08 pm
by mike1430
Can anybody recommend a front caliper rebuild kit?
Thanks

Re: Front brake sticking

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:12 pm
by SnoBrdr
mike1430 wrote:Can anybody recommend a front caliper rebuild kit?
Thanks
K&L are good.

As is George Fix.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-HONDA-1980-C ... 2c705d6cb7

Re: Front brake sticking

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:28 pm
by stevenstrack
Is there a problem with using Dot 3 vice Dot 4? I just rebuilt my forks which blew a seal and my pads were saturated. I replaced the pads the other night but used Dot 3 Synthetic brake fluid. I just Read the post here while waiting for my wife to recover from elective surgery and can't recall but think the brake fluid I used was Dot 3/4 Compatable??? Not sure but if I have to go back and flush this out again I want to make sure I don't have a problem down the road.

Re: Front brake sticking

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:18 pm
by SnoBrdr
stevenstrack wrote:Is there a problem with using Dot 3 vice Dot 4? I just rebuilt my forks which blew a seal and my pads were saturated. I replaced the pads the other night but used Dot 3 Synthetic brake fluid. I just Read the post here while waiting for my wife to recover from elective surgery and can't recall but think the brake fluid I used was Dot 3/4 Compatable??? Not sure but if I have to go back and flush this out again I want to make sure I don't have a problem down the road.
Dot 4 has a higher boiling point than does 3.

If it came with 4, stick with 4.

If it came with 3 you can uses either.

Only one you can't use in a DOT 3 system is Dot 5.

But you can use 5.1

Re: Front brake sticking

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:02 pm
by stevenstrack
One other question. I don't believe I used synthetic the last time I rebuilt my calipers which was less than 4 years ago. I didn't rebuild this time with new seals because my only problem was the pads were soaked with fork oil so I just put on new pads. I know I pumped a lot of new brake fluid through the calipers but would their be a problem with the new synthetic and non-synthetic fluid mixing?

Re: Front brake sticking

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:37 pm
by SnoBrdr
stevenstrack wrote:One other question. I don't believe I used synthetic the last time I rebuilt my calipers which was less than 4 years ago. I didn't rebuild this time with new seals because my only problem was the pads were soaked with fork oil so I just put on new pads. I know I pumped a lot of new brake fluid through the calipers but would their be a problem with the new synthetic and non-synthetic fluid mixing?
I don't know what you mean when you say synthetic, it means different things to different people.

If you totally flush out the system and I mean totally you will never have any issues. Just never used DOT 5.