Turn Signal Issue

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
ELC
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000 Ltd

Turn Signal Issue

Post by ELC »

Greetings,

I have a 1978 Honda GL1000 and am having turn signal issues. The other day I was out for a ride and the turn signals worked as they had done since I've owned the bike, slow and steady. Upon activating them on the next turn (the bike wasn't turned off) the signals started blinking rapidly, both left and right. When I got home I replaced ALL the bulbs on the bike except the ones on the instrument pannel, and oil, high beam, neutral, and the signal indicator lights. I still have rapid turn signals. Any ideas as to what is going on? Should I just leave it alone?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ted

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (128k)

Re: Turn Signal Issue

Post by PastoT »

I don't have an early model wing but the only thing common should be the flasher module itself. On an 1800 its behind the instrument panel and windshield base, hopefully its easier to get at on yours, but that would make the most sense to me if both left and right turn signals are faster. I've read that digital solid state modules are available for plug n play replacement; they're also an easy fix if you install LED turn indicators bulbs which evoke fast flashing by nature.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 128k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz »

It could well be a faulty flasher unit. Easy to get to in the left side of the 'false' tank.
Maz
Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!
SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

131K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr »

PastoT wrote:I don't have an early model wing but the only thing common should be the flasher module itself. On an 1800 its behind the instrument panel and windshield base, hopefully its easier to get at on yours, but that would make the most sense to me if both left and right turn signals are faster. I've read that digital solid state modules are available for plug n play replacement; they're also an easy fix if you install LED turn indicators bulbs which evoke fast flashing by nature.
On the 79 it's on the left side under the false tank cover.

Takes about a minute to change it out.

Make sure you change the right one as the turn signal buzzer looks like a flasker.
ELC

Post by ELC »

Folks, This is nuts, but the signal is working normally now. I usually don't believe in inanimate devices healing themselves but I'll take it for now. If the issue reappears I'll change out the flasher. Thanks for all your assistance.
SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

131K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr »

ELC wrote:Folks, This is nuts, but the signal is working normally now. I usually don't believe in inanimate devices healing themselves but I'll take it for now. If the issue reappears I'll change out the flasher. Thanks for all your assistance.
Sounds like a loose wire or a bad ground.
ELC

Post by ELC »

Well if the problem shows up again, I'll try to track down the loose wire or grounding issue. For now I'll just cross my fingers and if anything appears loose I'll tighten it up. Thanks.