Windshield mounting

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
Evils GL
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000

Windshield mounting

Post by Evils GL »

I am fixing up my dads 1976 Gl1000 that he gave, at one time (before my brother laid it down and broke it) he had a windshield that had rods that were threaded and replaced 2 of the bolts that hold the handlebar, instead of rods that clamped around the handle bars, anybody seen these?

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

131K Original Owner

Re: Windshield mounting

Post by SnoBrdr »

Evils GL wrote:I am fixing up my dads 1976 Gl1000 that he gave, at one time (before my brother laid it down and broke it) he had a windshield that had rods that were threaded and replaced 2 of the bolts that hold the handlebar, instead of rods that clamped around the handle bars, anybody seen these?
Who made the windshield?

They still might be in business or you could try a hardware store for something similar.

They may not be show chrome but would still work.
Evils GL

Post by Evils GL »

I have no idea who made, but made a cleaner installation, they were just black steel rods that came up from the lower handle bar cap bolts and were bent to match up with the holes on the windshield, it has new windshield but i dont like the clamp type mounts, just thought I would see if anybody had seen this setup before, i may just get some rod shape it then have it threaded, it gave the windshield alot more stablity
SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

131K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr »

Evils GL wrote:I have no idea who made, but made a cleaner installation, they were just black steel rods that came up from the lower handle bar cap bolts and were bent to match up with the holes on the windshield, it has new windshield but i dont like the clamp type mounts, just thought I would see if anybody had seen this setup before, i may just get some rod shape it then have it threaded, it gave the windshield alot more stablity
I've seen them but there have been some many manufacturers that it's impossible to say who made what.
Evils GL

Post by Evils GL »

I think i will see if i can make my own, then have them chromed, i am going back with the original candy red then i have it set up to have the pin stripping done in paint instead of stick on, exactly the same as stock but done a step better, my painter is even going to paint the GL emblem, my dad bought the the bike new and when he gave it to me it only had about 18,000 miles on it