mufflers for a '78

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
spoiledsaskhunter
Motorcycle: 1978 gl1000

mufflers for a '78

Post by spoiledsaskhunter »

I'm resurrecting a '78 gl1000 and have found a set of mufflers that I think are referred to as an 'H'............they are not separate, like some that are shown in my Clymer manual, and I'm wondering if anyone has put a set of these on a '78.

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

131K Original Owner

Re: mufflers for a '78

Post by SnoBrdr »

spoiledsaskhunter wrote:I'm resurrecting a '78 gl1000 and have found a set of mufflers that I think are referred to as an 'H'............they are not separate, like some that are shown in my Clymer manual, and I'm wondering if anyone has put a set of these on a '78.
Sounds like you are describing the 75-77 set of mufflers.

But a picture would help.

Never heard of anyone using these on a 78, I believe you'd have to change the header pipe but am not 100% certain.

If you need mufflers, a lot of people have used HD Sportster OEM mufflers.

They can be bought new for usually less than $50 a set.
spoiledsaskhunter

thank you for taking the time to reply.......I was hoping the older style would fit so I don't have to start doing mods to a set that isn't made to fit the bike. besides, if they are Goldwing pipes, they'd probably look more like stock.

sorry there are no pics (for two reasons)...I haven't seen them yet, and I don't know how to download a pic if I had it.
SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

131K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr »

spoiledsaskhunter wrote:thank you for taking the time to reply.......I was hoping the older style would fit so I don't have to start doing mods to a set that isn't made to fit the bike. besides, if they are Goldwing pipes, they'd probably look more like stock.

sorry there are no pics (for two reasons)...I haven't seen them yet, and I don't know how to download a pic if I had it.
I still have my original pipes on the bike but they are clearly showing their age.

I think this winter may be the time to put on the HD pipes.

It's really easy to do, requires a adapter from the headers to the muffler and a couple of clamps.

People use the HD clamps as they are pretty good looking.
Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Post by Fred Camper »

I run sportster mufflers and they work very well, about the same noise as a horseshoe stock 1977 muffler. I would not suggest a horseshoe as they make several maintenance tasks more difficult. With sportsters there is a small bracket to make to hang them off the stock mount, but it is not complicated.
spoiledsaskhunter

can u post a pic or two of ur scooter? I'd like to see what they look like, and perhaps the fitting mod......if it looks like installation for dumbies, i'll start looking for some sportster mufflers! ;)