1975 GL1000 restoration

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
MarktheShark
Motorcycle: 1975GL1000

1975 GL1000 restoration

Post by MarktheShark »

hello forum.....
My name is Mark and I am new to this forum, but not to wings. I have had seven over the years.....all very good and mostly problem free. I finally found a 32k 1975 GL1000 as a memory of my mentor and long time racing sponsor, Lowell Hinshaw (RIP). He had four of them in various stages of running and it was always a hoot to ride to the Springfield mile and back. (and hope to stay dry)
As I begin a front to back restoration of this classic, I just wondered if anyone had a good fork spring/oil combination to share. Over the years, I remember changing preload, oil weight, etc. I also remember shortening the stock spring and adding even more preload for larger riders. Right now, the springs I have are 1/8" under the minimum value shown in the Clymer manual. I assume they are 41 yrs old !
The Progressive option is available several places, Eibach doesn't list a spring for 1975.
if anyone has some info to share, please do. I weigh 180lbs ready to ride, my wife will join me two or three times per season. I generally ride 4-6000 miles per season.
TY
Keep the rubber side down.....