Who rebuilds carbs?

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
jerrell.lind
Motorcycle: 1979 GL1000

Who rebuilds carbs?

Post by jerrell.lind »

Hi guys, first post here.

I recently acquired a 1979 GL1000 and I'm into a rebuild. I'd rather not tackle rebuilding the carb myself and have heard there are places you can send it off to for a professional rebuild. Can anyone recommend a good shop that rebuilds GL1000 carbs mail order?

Thanks

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: Who rebuilds carbs?

Post by harvey01 »

Randakks.com sell the necessary parts for the rebuild nd does suggest several vendors who do the work. J. R. Luskic does a great job but speacializes in CBXs. Pistol Petes is good.

Another source is oldschoolcarbs/com. Contact Jack as well as some of the others and see which price best pleases you.

No price will be low!
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often
SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

131K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr »

harvey01 wrote:Randakks.com sell the necessary parts for the rebuild nd does suggest several vendors who do the work. J. R. Luskic does a great job but speacializes in CBXs. Pistol Petes is good.

Another source is oldschoolcarbs/com. Contact Jack as well as some of the others and see which price best pleases you.

No price will be low!
Pistol Pete is in the process of discontinuing his carb work.

Mike Nixon is supposedly good but I have not used him.

I have used PP twice.
BSArider
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000
07 Suzuki Bandit
61 BSA A10
71 Norton Commando

Post by BSArider »

I just got a set back from Pistol Pete for my 78 GL1000. Work was first rate and fast.
badandy
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000 Goldwing
1982 GL500I
1983 VT500 Shadow

Post by badandy »

If you are at all mechanically inclined try doing it yourself. It won't be cheap to have someone do the work. Do you do other work on your bike aside from the general maintenance? If so then tackling a carb rebuild is not that scary. Take lots of pictures before and during the rebuild and do one at a time so you don't have a hundred pieces strewn about at once.

There are tutorials and videos of your specific carbs. Randakk sells a dvd step by step instruction with his kit for a good price. If you do find yourself overwhelmed once you dive in you can always box up your carbs (and pieces) and ship them off.
Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Post by Fred Camper »

Get Randakks video or borrow one. And get Mike Nixon's booklet. They are both excellent resources and complementary.