Car tire for rear of reverse trike

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
Mr. Barry
Motorcycle: '79 Goldwing reverse trike

Car tire for rear of reverse trike

Post by Mr. Barry »

New to this forum, so please bare with me....
I'm building a trike from scratch, with two front wheels, ('34 Ford suspension), and rear drive wheel...'79 1000CC Goldwing....
The rear tire is a standard Goldwing-type tire on a 17" rim....
It was suggested to me that a car tire might be better , since it will be running flat on the ground (at least I hope so)....
If I use a car tire, what size and brand would work?
Thanks for your help.
Edward

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: Car tire for rear of reverse trike

Post by RoadRogue »

There is not a good car tire for either the 1000 or the 1100. Many have tried to find one but nothing that is readily available. You can check out Universal Tire for some specialty reproduction tires but you may still not find one worth the cost/benefit. The problem is that the swingarm is not wide enough for anything bigger than a 130 tire. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome
CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

Knowing nothing of the width of a GL1100's swing arm at the pivots, nothing of drive shaft length and splines at each end and nothing about how they compare to either the GL1200 or GL1500 's swing arms ....
.... but if there was a way to slip a GL1500 swing arm or GL1200 swing arm into that GL1100's frame and make a drive shaft work with the GL1100 engine trans output shaft or U-joint .... you might could use a GL1500 rear wheel, brake, FD, with either a GL1200 or GL1500 swing arm and fit the CT to the 1500 rear wheel.

I mean, we know the 1500 FD set up / wheel / brake all will work with either the 1200 or 1500 swing arm .... just use the drive shaft to match the swing am.

Maybe there isn't nearly enough room .... ?????

Just sayin' .... thinking out loud like ..... :roll:
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)
Mr. Barry

Post by Mr. Barry »

Thanks for the replies...It had been suggested to me that this might be better in my situation, to use a car tire, but if I would have to change all of the rear mechanicals, I guess it's not going to happen. I'm too far along in the project to drop back and "punt".
Edward
Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Post by Fred Camper »

Not sure it changes anything, but a 16 inch rear wheel is readily available for the early wings but you still are limited to a 130 width. So if a skinny 16 inch car tire is out there, there may be a simple solution.
Mr. Barry

Post by Mr. Barry »

Based on the ride height, it really does need to be the 17" wheel...I've seen some "old-school" car tires advertised, that are more like a motorcycle tire , but I don't know if the bead would be a problem...Car wheels have a different bead configuration, than motorcycle wheels.
Edward
RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Post by RoadRogue »

Mr. Barry wrote:..........., but I don't know if the bead would be a problem...Car wheels have a different bead configuration, than motorcycle wheels.
Edward
If you believe this to be a problem why did you ask what CT would fit your bike in the first place? 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome
Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Post by Fred Camper »

Do not be so concerned with ride height as the sidewall of the tire is variable and you can sometimes choose one to make up the 1/2 inch difference. I cannot comment on the bead, but other users have mounted car tires on there wing so perhaps the beads are not that different. But I have seen many warnings about this mod and it does not seem to me that it would be worth the time. Motorcycle rear tires are not that expensive compared to a rare car tire. You are only dealing with one tire, your fronts are going to be car tires without much effort at all.