Best tire for Lester 16" wheel

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
blutoy
Motorcycle: 1975 goldwing

Best tire for Lester 16" wheel

Post by blutoy »

Two years ago I purchased a 1975 GL1000 with a Lester wheel on the front and a comstar on the rear. Esthetically I felt matching Lesters would look better. I purchased a 16" Lester NOS manufacturer 4/14/1978. It seems to me that the wheel is made for a tubeless tire as the aperture hole for the valve is about 5/8" in diameter. From my reading on the website it appears that this wheel presents potential mounting problems on the bike because of tire clearance on the swing arm, and the possible rubbing of the tire on the swing arm. Also from reading, mounting the wheel back on the bike with the tire can be a PITA as the disc for the rear brake may need to be fastened to the wheel after the wheel is in position on the final drive. I can deal with that. I do not want to modify the swing arm. Old Fogey said that he thought Razzel had mounted an Avon 130/90-16 74V TL on a 16" Lester wheel. Before purchasing and mounting a tire on this wheel I am looking for feedback from people who have successfully mounted tires on 16" Lester wheels on the early GL1000. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Re: Best tire for Lester 16" wheel

Post by Fred Camper »

You have it correct. I run a 16 inch Lester on BADDOG and it works great. Consider removing the studs for the rotor and replaced them with grade 8 bolts. Makes it much easier to get the disk loose for wheel removed.

I ran a tube in the rear until I had a flat, and three experts could not get the tube back out without a bead breaker. So now I run it tubeless to enable a repair on the road.

No swing arm issues with my Bridgestone Spitfire 130/90/16. Most 130 mm by 90 aspect will work just fine based on what I have read.
blutoy
Motorcycle: 1975 goldwing

Post by blutoy »

Fred, Thank you much for the response and your further comments regarding the wheel and tire.
Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Post by Fred Camper »

Also keep in mind that the hub on the Lester is aluminum. If you remove those new bolts too often, you may compromise the threads in the hub. There is room to insert a helicoil if that ever happens. I have not had to do this on BADDOG yet, still no issue after several removals.