1976 GL1000 Assembly Questions

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
randomman02x
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda GL1000 (rebuild in process)

1976 GL1000 Assembly Questions

Post by randomman02x »

I currently have a 1976 GL1000 that was given to me in plastic tubs and a cardboard box. The bike was previously taken apart from the previous owner and was going to restore the bike but never got around to it. My question is where should I start? Please note everything is dissembled and it is just a frame. with a engine in it. Many wires are cut from the engine it's self and the whole wire harness is in plastic tub. I'd really like to get this bike back up and running.

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Re: 1976 GL1000 Assembly Questions

Post by Maz »

Personally I would see this as a golden opportunity. Take stock of everything you have and get it sorted into sections, for example;
Rear suspension
Forks
Carbs etc, etc

Hopefully, from this, you can establish if anything is missing and if anything you have, needs repairing/refurbishing/replacing.

I would remove the engine completely and use the opportunity to refurbish all of the bits that would require engine removal anyway, for example, Clutch, alternator etc. Also establish that the engine is not seized and change the timing belts. You are never going to have such easy access again. Also a good time to fully examine frame/swingarm and clean/paint/powder coat.

Obviously, these are only my personal views. I am sure everyone has their own way of doing things and will chime in with useful ideas.
I'm actually getting excited for you.....I would love to be given a bike already stripped!

Maz
Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!
Maz
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz »

The last time I was in your position, this happened.........

Before and after...

Maz
dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

Number one thing I would do is download a parts manual (to identify the parts) and a factory service manual. Without them there is nowhere to go.
randomman02x

Post by randomman02x »

Maz wrote:Personally I would see this as a golden opportunity. Take stock of everything you have and get it sorted into sections, for example;
Rear suspension
Forks
Carbs etc, etc

Hopefully, from this, you can establish if anything is missing and if anything you have, needs repairing/refurbishing/replacing.

I would remove the engine completely and use the opportunity to refurbish all of the bits that would require engine removal anyway, for example, Clutch, alternator etc. Also establish that the engine is not seized and change the timing belts. You are never going to have such easy access again. Also a good time to fully examine frame/swingarm and clean/paint/powder coat.

Obviously, these are only my personal views. I am sure everyone has their own way of doing things and will chime in with useful ideas.
I'm actually getting excited for you.....I would love to be given a bike already stripped!

Maz
Thank you for the advice! I'm just trying to figure out where all these parts go as this is my first gl1000 I've built. I've found the full service manual online as well as a parts book and many other diagrams. The only thing I'm worried about is the wiring harness. It has been cut in multiple parts. Is there any advice you'd give as far as the electrical goes?
randomman02x

Post by randomman02x »

dingdong wrote:Number one thing I would do is download a parts manual (to identify the parts) and a factory service manual. Without them there is nowhere to go.
The first night the bike was home I was doing some digging and found as many diagrams as I could and found a full service manual and parts book which is awesome! The only thing that sucks is that all the bolts are kind of sorted and some are just loose. I'm just trying to figure where everything mounts up and what bolts go where.
Maz
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz »

If the nuts and bolts are seriously mixed up, you can always refer to the Honda Parts List, which gives measurements of all the nuts and bolts used. Some should be self explanatory so, hopefully, you won't have to do this for all of them. It's a shame the PO didn't bag and label them.

If the wiring loom has been cut in various places, I would suggest trying to find a used, complete loom. Using the wiring diagram and laying the loom on the frame in the correct position, most of the connections should present themselves (roughly) in their correct locations. From this and the manual (and photographs from other 'wings) you should be able to establish what goes where and what needs rewiring or replacing.

Maz